Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'm stuck on one of these next week. I hadn't heard of these fares before and didn't realize what I was getting—booking through Concur there was no warning, though ours is configured to block basic economy (I realize this isn't a BE fare).

I didn't find out until the next day when UA emailed me to inform me of the restrictions, but that put me within the 14 day window and fares had skyrocketed.

I escalated to our corporate travel agent (Amex) and they were actually surprised—they'd never heard of this type of fare. Not exactly confidence-inspiring! I sent them the wikipost from this thread.

Normally Concur will show multiple fare classes on UA flights, but in this case I was only presented with L fares. I'd have happily bought the next fare up but it wasn't an option. I assume that was Concur's fault.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Quick question: I'm a United Premier Gold. If I book these fares, I understand I still get a free bag on a TATL flight. What about Economy Plus? Can I also get a free seat assignment for it?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Muerz
Quick question: I'm a United Premier Gold. If I book these fares, I understand I still get a free bag on a TATL flight. What about Economy Plus? Can I also get a free seat assignment for it?
Yes.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:28 am

Starting December 11, the LGT fares will be more restrictive and will be rebranded as Basic Economy.
What is the difference between domestic/short haul international Basic Economy and trans-Atlantic Basic Economy?

Trans-Atlantic Basic Economy is similar to domestic and short haul international Basic Economy product, but with some differences:
• Customers will be allowed one full-sized carry-on bag and one personal item on board, and will be able to check a first bag for an additional fee
• Customers will be able to check-in online and via the United mobile app
• Customers will not necessarily board in the last boarding group
•Seat assignments will be provided at check-in, or at the gate and available before check-in for purchase at united.com.

Basic Economy has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• Does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• Non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• Cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• Not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument) , to United Premium Plus, or to United Economy Plus.
• Advance seat assignments are not permitted for free but may be purchased at united.com.
• Full accrual for Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD), 50% accrual for Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) and 0.5 accrual for Premier Qualifying Segments (PQS) Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for one fullsize carry-on bag and one personal item on board, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus card holders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
• Groups are not eligible for the new fare option.
Star Alliance Gold customers originating on Lufthansa are eligible for a complimentary first checked bag on Lufthansa flights, but must check-in with LH at the airport and show their Star Gold credentials to qualify for the fee exemption (emphasis added)
Travel Agency Guidance
delpiero223 likes this.

Last edited by ual744777sta; Dec 3, 2018 at 11:10 am Reason: Formatting error
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Starting December 11, the LGT fares will be more restrictive and will be rebranded as Basic Economy.
Star Alliance Gold members Groups are not eligible for the new fare option.
This looks like a formatting error. It should read that Star Alliance Gold members still get their checked bag, but groups (10+ passengers) cannot purchase BE -- a separate line, outside of the bulleted list.

This appears to be a fairly minor change from the previous Light fare -- 50% PQM / 0.5 PQS, and no advanced seat assignments. Rebranding this as "Basic Economy" is sure to lead to confusion. As awful as the other name was, at least it was clearly something different than BE.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
What about tickets that were booked before this December 11 date? Also, I have another person on my reservation who isn‘t Gold. Will he still get a free bag?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, that's big news. Looks like the customer will have no seat choice, even at check-in?

"Seat assignments will be provided at check-in, or at the gate and available before check-in for purchase at united.com."

Originally Posted by Muerz
What about tickets that were booked before this December 11 date? Also, I have another person on my reservation who isn‘t Gold. Will he still get a free bag?
Only for bookings ticketed after Dec 11 when I read it correctly:
"United’s Basic Economy fare is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after December 11, 2018, for all points of sale."
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Also, how about lifetime miles?

UA website states:
"Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles."

So even if this gains 50% PQM, looks like we won't be able to earn lifetime MM-accrual more?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This is as clear as mud to me, although I feared that they would row back on the previous since, as a 1K, the only two disadvantages of the lower fare were no upgrades and no SDC.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This looks like a formatting error. It should read that Star Alliance Gold members still get their checked bag, but groups (10+ passengers) cannot purchase BE -- a separate line, outside of the bulleted list.

This appears to be a fairly minor change from the previous Light fare -- 50% PQM / 0.5 PQS, and no advanced seat assignments. Rebranding this as "Basic Economy" is sure to lead to confusion. As awful as the other name was, at least it was clearly something different than BE.
Good eye. Error corrected.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
This makes it an easier choice for me. Previously the normal Y fares were only a hundred bucks more. With 100% PQMs on the -LGT fares though, I felt it wasn't worth the price. 50% of the PQMs on a TATL ticket is well worth 100 dollars. Guess UA got me.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Travel Agency Guidance
The pfd TATL_fare_Announcement_QA_v8.20181203155948788.pdf
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
No economy plus is a no-go.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:37 pm

Why would they give PQM but no lifetime miles? That's super frustrating.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Why would they give PQM but no lifetime miles? That's super frustrating.
I couldn’t see any mention of lifetime miles in the PDF so it’s not clear that you won’t get them. Also it’s not mentioned as to whether 1ks would get one bag (as *G) or more (as 1k).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.