Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: None anymore
Is the dining room closed because they are switching from breakfast to lunch? I wasn't aware real restaurants did that.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by greenpau
In the LHR GFL this morning I realized just how right the LHR operation has it ... both in the GFL or the United Club. The service makes it in both lounges - on top of it, efficient, warm.
Fantastic lounge(s) . ^
Old May 12, 2018, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I was at SFO Polaris Lounge for the first time on this past Friday morning from 9 to 10 am.

The lounge filled up quickly. Part of the lounge on the 2nd flor was closed (the section next to the customer service desks.

it is a nice lounge but needs more bathrooms. There were long lines waiting for the bathrooms on both floors.

Breakfast offerings were underwhelming, but I usually don’t eat in the lounge before the flight. For late night departures to SIN and SYD, I hope to eat before the flight and skip the inflight meals...hope better food offerings in the evening.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
For late night departures to SIN and SYD, I hope to eat before the flight and skip the inflight meals...hope better food offerings in the evening.
That is exactly what I did Friday for the SIN flight. Arrived around 6 pm, had a nice meal, a couple glasses of good wine and slept once I got on the plane. Infinitely better than what was served on the plane.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:35 am

Flying Copa SFO-PTY-LIM, I'm guessing this isn't "long-haul," and I wont have access to the Polaris lounge in SFO, does anyone know for sure? I couldn't find a real definition for what constitutes "long-haul."

Thanks
Old May 12, 2018, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Not enough lavs and no seat covers in them. Shower is about 5 degrees below perfection

As to the congee rant upthread, they offer it in the sit down menu. Complete with dry shrimp toppings etc. So I would rather they replace it with something else in the buffet.

The space is great. Just a few kinks and process flows to iron out. Espresso machine being job 1 (put it outside the bar)

and that bath towel!!
Old May 12, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by slack455
Flying Copa SFO-PTY-LIM, I'm guessing this isn't "long-haul," and I wont have access to the Polaris lounge in SFO, does anyone know for sure? I couldn't find a real definition for what constitutes "long-haul."

Thanks
You do not, but I agree with you that the Star Alliance notes are vague (actually, non-existent, I think) in this regard. UA defines southernmost South America in reference to UA Polaris, but it's not clearly defined for *A.

Regardless, even though Peru does qualify for the UA Polaris rule, I think the rule that would apply is departing on a qualifying *A long haul flight, not one to Panama.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

Thanks
would try for sure. Chances are non-zero you'll get in.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flying Copa SFO-PTY-LIM, I'm guessing this isn't "long-haul," and I wont have access to the Polaris lounge in SFO, does anyone know for sure?
Probably not, but give it a try and report back.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I was at SFO Polaris Lounge for the first time on this past Friday morning from 9 to 10 am.

The lounge filled up quickly. Part of the lounge on the 2nd flor was closed (the section next to the customer service desks.

it is a nice lounge but needs more bathrooms. There were long lines waiting for the bathrooms on both floors.

Breakfast offerings were underwhelming, but I usually don’t eat in the lounge before the flight. For late night departures to SIN and SYD, I hope to eat before the flight and skip the inflight meals...hope better food offerings in the evening.
I was in yesterday (Friday, 5/11) from 8 to 10 AM and I was told that the closed section is opened up at 10 AM when the lounge really starts to get crowded. Only one data point, the lounge was not crowded at all at 8 AM, but by 9:30 had filled up quite a lot. Even the space downstairs was rather full.

The restroom situation is untenable. I guess the approach of separate rooms was intended to convey a sense of privacy and luxury, but this is not the LH First Class Terminal. There were lines for both sets of restrooms, upstairs and downstairs - and this was before the lounge got really crowded. There are simply too many people for this to work. BA does this in their LHR lounges and IMO, it doesn't work well there either.

Other than the "deconstructed" bagel and lox, I found the breakfast offerings to be lackluster. The coffee/tea situation definitely needs to be fixed.

However, all in all, this lounge is a significant step up for United and many of the deficiencies described in this thread are fixable without too much disruption. (Aside from the restroom situation.)
Old May 12, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1kBill
The restroom situation is untenable. I guess the approach of separate rooms was intended to convey a sense of privacy and luxury, but this is not the LH First Class Terminal. There were lines for both sets of restrooms, upstairs and downstairs - and this was before the lounge got really crowded. There are simply too many people for this to work. BA does this in their LHR lounges and IMO, it doesn't work well there either.
How many separate rooms are there in total? I never had to wait in the ORD Polaris Lounge and never saw a line. I have only been there about 10 times but there were at different times of the day: mornings up to noon for the Asia departures, afternoon for the flight to MUC and coming back I usually have to stay up to the time of the late departure flights.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Smile

I had a chance to visit the Polaris Lounge on Apr 27 and it was very beautiful.
Here is my review with photos.
https://goo.gl/iXRyMb

tuolumne likes this.

Last edited by pigx5; May 13, 2018 at 5:40 pm Reason: add photo
Old May 13, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
Originally Posted by Rotus12
It’s pretty comical that the dining room is closed from 11-11:45. That is the most prime slot for lounge use for the long haul flight departure schedule IMO.
Agreed! I was there on Wednesday for my first visit. The fundamental lack of understanding that this needs to be a full-service lounge was really surprising. All of the buffet items were also nonexistent or completely picked over.

Also the comments about coffee are spot-on.

It seems that United should have waited another month to get things right rather than rush

Makes me wonder if any of the management remember the old pmCO billboard ad that sat near EWR: "We're only as good as your last flight with us."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 13, 2018 at 8:52 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BE-58
...It seems that United should have waited another month to get things right rather than rush.
UA isn't going to win. People complain it took too long to open, others now seem to propose UA should have waited. Personally, I can't believe anyone could possibly think the lounge situation that preceded the Polaris lounge opening should have continued for another month. The current lounge situation in the int'l terminal, warts and all, is 10x better than it was the day before the Polaris lounge opened.
Starman, cricketer, Xyzzy and 6 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 13, 2018 at 8:57 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 14, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Personally, I can't believe anyone could possibly think the lounge situation that preceded the Polaris lounge opening should have continued for another month. The current lounge situation in the int'l terminal, warts and all, is 10x better than it was the day before the Polaris lounge opened.
Agreed, but given how long it took them to open this lounge, you'd think they would have planned better. The coffee situation being one very obvious example. And a single, non-central buffet area in a bi-level 25,000 sq ft lounge is just crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.