Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just walked past. There were a bunch of boxes of food in the lobby . . . gearing up for tomorrow no doubt!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Wondering, how many out of the 440 seats are at sit down dining in SFO ?
There's seating for 36 in the dining room proper, but there's also stacks of table-seating in the part of the lounge leading up to that (by memory, around halfway from the bar to the buffet) and also across from the self-serve buffet.

Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2018 at 8:41 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by radiowell
And pray that IFL personnel don't come close to the Polaris Lounge.
The voice inside my head was saying that!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Starman
Numerous semi-closed "study desks". Oddly those padded seats are way too big for one person, but too small for two; if you're a couple, you probably sit elsewhere. That's about the worst criticism I can find so far!
If some face each other like in the ORD Polaris Lounge, you'll see some couples using them and then still try to chat with each other over the distance. Quite annoying! My wife and I sit somewhere else where we find two seats together and forgo the pleasure of using those semi-closed spaces.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:33 am

Got here today. Arrived early, so the lounge was pretty empty. Initial impressions: very nice lounge. Most of the spaces have views of Terminal 3, and you can see parts of the international terminal from parts of the lounge. One corner of the dining room has a decent view of the international lounge.

The showers are quite nice. Spa-like. I love the soft lighting, though the color makes some of the whites look a tad yellow. (Not a complaint at all; just something I noticed because I've done design work in the past.) There's a rainfall and regular shower head option. Towels are fluffy and comfortable. Staff are very friendly and polite.

Breakfast buffet was good overall. Didn't get to sample everything. The mini quiche were way too salty for my taste, but everything else was good. Tip: silverware is on placed on the upper part of the buffet (where the glass covering is. Missed that when I went around and had to go back for silverware. In the dining room: the oatmeal and omelet were quite good.

For those who get to fly international J, this is a wonderful treat!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I know the breakfast menu closes at 11 or so. Can you order off the other menu during morning? Eg the burger or pasta?

before boarding a 11:30 or noon flight I would rather a lunch than a breakfast...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I know the breakfast menu closes at 11 or so. Can you order off the other menu during morning? Eg the burger or pasta?

before boarding a 11:30 or noon flight I would rather a lunch than a breakfast...
The servers said they were serving breakfast only when I went. I was there early so I can’t imagine they would serve lunch then, but I’m not sure if it’d be an option later in the day. The menu did say breakfast was served until 11, but I didn’t see anything about when lunch started.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by windhund
The servers said they were serving breakfast only until when I went. I was there early so I can’t imagine they would serve lunch then, but I’m not sure if it’d be an option later in the day. The menu did say breakfast was served until 11, but I didn’t see anything about when lunch started.
In the ORD Polaris Lounge, they change the buffet offering from breakfast to lunch at 11:00 AM which I also think is late. I never asked anything from the menu as when I'm about to board a 12 or 16 hour flight, I'd rather eat on the plane as it has an entertaining value and helps time go faster. From the buffet, I only graze little snacks and don't overeat.

But I do get the Veuve Clicquot which is better than the Champagne served inflight. Is the Champagne in the SFO Polaris Lounge also Veuve Clicquot?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
In the ORD Polaris Lounge, they change the buffet offering from breakfast to lunch at 11:00 AM which I also think is late. I never asked anything from the menu as when I'm about to board a 12 or 16 hour flight, I'd rather eat on the plane as it has an entertaining value and helps time go faster. From the buffet, I only graze little snacks and don't overeat.

But I do get the Veuve Clicquot which is better than the Champagne served inflight. Is the Champagne in the SFO Polaris Lounge also Veuve Clicquot?
The bar menu lists the champagne as Piper-Heidsieck.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Does anyone know what time the dining room is open till?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:27 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Whistle Pig...boy howdy, just may need a few before my flight Friday!
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
In the ORD Polaris Lounge, they change the buffet offering from breakfast to lunch at 11:00 AM which I also think is late.
That would suggest you cannot order lunch items before 11am

Many transpacs land SFO early morning. After being awake (or simply flying) for 10-15 hours on board I don’t want pancakes and omelettes. Especially if I had a breakfast on board (eg SIN-SFO).

That aspect is disappointing.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by villox
The bar menu lists the champagne as Piper-Heidsieck.
Correct, a PH Cuvee 1785. A perfectly good, drinkable NV Champagne at a slightly lower price point than VC Yellow Label. Makes sense for what will be a much higher-throughput lounge than ORD. Wish they'd serve that on board!
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by EWR764
Correct, a PH Cuvee 1785. A perfectly good, drinkable NV Champagne at a slightly lower price point than VC Yellow Label. Makes sense for what will be a much higher-throughput lounge than ORD. Wish they'd serve that on board!
I have noticed that Drappier has appeared on board recently--a nice upgrade from Nicolas Feuillatte!
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by EWR764
I'm genuinely surprised that the Veuve has stuck around ORD for as long as it has. When you consider that pre-Dec 2016 a United business class ticket only got you whatever was free in the UCs, the Polaris upgrades have been rather remarkable.

Still think they should be handing out vouchers for Polaris passengers departing without a Polaris lounge though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.