Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

I read on loungereview.com that the global first lounge at SFO is scheduled to close for remodel this month (November 2016). What options will there be after this closure to shower before a TPAC departure? It appears that the only United facility at SFO with showers was the GF lounge. I will be traveling in GF in January 2017 so I doubt the remodel will be complete by then.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:39 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I know you're outbound, but for others who may be inbound to SFO, everyone forgets about the vastly superior Arrivals Lounge. (Pre-security, post-Customs). Not sure of criteria to get in, but I know BF and GF customers can access--not sure about 1K or GS in Economy, but I'm sure our resident experts can advise quickly without research.

I was just there last week after my flight from China. Four flights all arriving at the same time. In the hour I spent in there, I was one of 4 people that used it...Out of what, 200-ish premium pax?

The shower room was very nice (extra towels upon request), hot and cold food (food is somewhere between the UC and the FCL--they did have smoked salmon). Staff was super friendly and helpful. Seems as if people just don't know about this place...I'd have stayed longer, but wanted to get to the AMEX Lounge (which does have ONE shower stall, but I didn't want to chance it).
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You can cough up for Centurion Lounge.

Maybe United ought to consider opening arrivals lounge for longer hours during remodel for departing GF/GS customers. And, no, 1Ks or *G in coach don't get access.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 11, 2016 at 2:46 pm Reason: OT item removed
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I know you're outbound, but for others who may be inbound to SFO, everyone forgets about the vastly superior Arrivals Lounge. (Pre-security, post-Customs). ...

The shower room was very nice (extra towels upon request), hot and cold food (food is somewhere between the UC and the FCL--they did have smoked salmon). Staff was super friendly and helpful. Seems as if people just don't know about this place...I'd have stayed longer, but wanted to get to the AMEX Lounge (which does have ONE shower stall, but I didn't want to chance it).
How are the wines? Do they offer champagne, I wonder. Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Maybe United ought to consider opening arrivals lounge for longer hours during remodel for departing GF/GS customers. And, no, 1Ks or *G in coach don't get access.
That's actually a good idea, even though the lounge is tiny. I doubt many would take advantage of it, since it's landside and not really easy to find. Still, having a dedicated facility is probably better than any temporary setup in a UC. Besides, the agents can't be any worse than the GFL dragons...

Or, maybe UA can arrange to use SQ's SKL outside of its normal hours? They have showers there too.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
It's been a long time since I've been to the Arrivals Lounge, but I don't believe they serve any alcohol...

OP - If the SKL is open prior to your flight, you can go there. Otherwise, your only other option (aside from the Centurion Lounge) will be the paid facility in the departures hall of the international terminal.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Maybe United ought to consider opening arrivals lounge for longer hours during remodel for departing GF/GS customers.
Lounge is too small. Can really only accommodate about 8-10 pax at a time.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:43 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Yeah, can't help with that. The last thing on my mind at 6:30am after sleeping on a 12hour flight was wine. Sorry, can't help with that.

Originally Posted by Tennen
That's actually a good idea, even though the lounge is tiny. I doubt many would take advantage of it, since it's landside and not really easy to find... Besides, the agents can't be any worse than the GFL dragons...
I found the staff to be more than friendly and accommodating. The check-in guy (had a Global Svcs name tag) was more than helpful in trying to correct an issue I had. I was warmly welcomed, shower attendant was super friendly, and after the shower, sitting down for a bite another another agent came over to tell me about all of the food selections. Admittedly, even by that time I was one of two people in the lounge.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd say a little more. Probably a dozen seats, plus the shower suites...Since I was early, I was right near the entrance side of the hall, but there's at least 6, maybe 8 or 10 shower suites.

And yes, as IAH-OIL-TRASH said, generally, the AMEX Centurion Lounge trumps all (but only one shower)...But you need an Amex card.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
You can cough up for Centurion Lounge.

So much this....

Nicer people, better food, nicer showers, can use it as pre departure or arrivals, they don't care.

Also, VERY close to INTL terminal

Last edited by Hipplewm; Nov 11, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, but I'm thinking limiting it to current admittees during current hours and GF departures the rest of the day wouldn't result in crowding. The non-optimal location (pre-security) would probably result in some (most?) GF passengers going to regular UCs anyway.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah, but I'm thinking limiting it to current admittees during current hours and GF departures the rest of the day wouldn't result in crowding. The non-optimal location (pre-security) would probably result in some (most?) GF passengers going to regular UCs anyway.
Not sure there would be any point to that . . . virtually all GF flights depart SFO prior to 1:30 p.m.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Not sure there would be any point to that . . . virtually all GF flights depart SFO prior to 1:30 p.m.
Not exactly. Flights to FRA go at 2, and 6 or 7 in the summer. LHR probably similar. I think there is Asian 747s going later in the day as well. Personally can't remember a long international flight (admittedly we don't always fly GF), we have taken that departs before 1pm.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I know you're outbound, but for others who may be inbound to SFO, everyone forgets about the vastly superior Arrivals Lounge. (Pre-security, post-Customs). Not sure of criteria to get in, but I know BF and GF customers can access--not sure about 1K or GS in Economy, but I'm sure our resident experts can advise quickly without research.

I was just there last week after my flight from China. Four flights all arriving at the same time. In the hour I spent in there, I was one of 4 people that used it...Out of what, 200-ish premium pax?

GS on any ticket, (Y, C, or F -- revenue or award), arriving from an international destination can access the Arrivals Lounge. 1Ks can access arriving on any C or F international ticket (including upgrades and awards). Guests are never permitted.

Last edited by wxguy; Nov 11, 2016 at 7:31 pm
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:29 pm

Looks like anybody in C or F has access.

Our Arrivals Lounge in San Francisco, located in Terminal 3 on the baggage level, is a retreat where United Global First and United BusinessFirst customers arriving by noon on a same-day ticket may freshen up with a shower. Guests can enjoy a breakfast and use complimentary Wi-Fi.
Originally Posted by wxguy
GS on any ticket, (Y, C, or F -- revenue or award), arriving from an international destination can access the Arrivals Lounge. 1Ks can access arriving on any C or F international ticket (including upgrades and awards). Guests are never permitted.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS
I forget, does the arrival lounge permit PS passengers in BF?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Not exactly. Flights to FRA go at 2, and 6 or 7 in the summer. LHR probably similar.
"Virtually: Practically, almost, nearly all."

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
I think there is Asian 747s going later in the day as well. Personally can't remember a long international flight (admittedly we don't always fly GF), we have taken that departs before 1pm.
Then I take it you do not fly ex-SFO very often. All UA's Asia flights with GF currently depart prior to 1:30 p.m. (In fact, the only Asia flight that currently departs after 1:30 is the second PVG flight, on a 789.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.