Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by hch
Just got to the lounge 25 minutes. Giant line to enter it, more than half of the people were turned away as they weren't in Polaris / Business. Downstairs it is the usual calm Oasis, while upstream is pretty crowded. Decided to not ask for a seat at the Restaurant as the menu did not look very interesting to me. The buffet looks pretty nice OTOH, so I'll try it later.
How bad was the wait for the restaurant?

Debating when to head over to the Polaris lounge / have a meal before a late night departure. Might wait until 19:30-20:00 and try to dine near the last seating. But if the menu is still the same as Jan (stir fried chicken, seafood cioppino, ramen and the burger), I agree that it's not very interesting.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:38 pm
hch

I didn't even ask for a time, but the people before me decided to not wait, so probably not exactly short. It's still that same menu.
zappy312 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hch
Just got to the lounge 25 minutes. Giant line to enter it, more than half of the people were turned away as they weren't in Polaris / Business. Downstairs it is the usual calm Oasis, while upstream is pretty crowded. Decided to not ask for a seat at the Restaurant as the menu did not look very interesting to me. The buffet looks pretty nice OTOH, so I'll try it later.
I arrived at around 4:40pm. Not a single person at checkin, and maybe three tables occupied in sit down restaurant. It did start to fill up as I was eating my late lunch. Guess I picked a good time.

Originally Posted by zappy312
But if the menu is still the same as Jan (stir fried chicken, seafood cioppino, ramen and the burger), I agree that it's not very interesting.
That was indeed the menu.
zappy312 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I arrived at around 4:40pm. . . . Guess I picked a good time.
It starts to get crowded around 6 pm.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:44 am
hch

It was a lot better when I went upstairs for dinner at around 7:15pm. I immediately found a free table and found the buffet food quite nice (way better than last time).
SPN Lifer, choch345 and zappy312 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Was told a half hour wait at 08:40 today for a table for two, and the message came through after 27 minutes that my table was ready. I was surprised to see eight open tables. Appears the constraint is due to staffing levels, not real estate.
I was there at 8am opening 3/13 and they warned me as I was seated there were only 2 servers so it would be slow. They only seated part of the restaurant.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Came in this afternoon around 1p. No, wait for a shower. Upstairs was a mess - dirty plates were sitting, and floors hadn't been swept or cleaned after the previous rush. I was quoted 30 mins for a table around 2p with six open tables. The best way I can describe the F&B staff is that they all look sad and hate their jobs, which shows. I talked to the GS agent on my way out, and they said, "I don't disagree with you - they won't listen to the United employees, so please write in." Off to the AC lounge, where the bar staff are lovely and actually like having guests!
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by 404flyer
I talked to the GS agent on my way out, and they said, "I don't disagree with you - they won't listen to the United employees, so please write in."
Just:
Please take their advice, and do write in.

If there really is such resentment/conflict between UA staff and the contracted lounge-staff, it's no wonder the atmosphere for the patrons suffers.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
If there really is such resentment/conflict between UA staff and the contracted lounge-staff
That's not how I read it. Not conflict - just unmotivated, resentful servers. As you'll find in many places these days. Usually the result of poor management. Same basic problem has afflicted this lounge since shortly after opening.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Just:
Please take their advice, and do write in.

If there really is such resentment/conflict between UA staff and the contracted lounge-staff, it's no wonder the atmosphere for the patrons suffers.
Seems specific to SFO. LAX experience is night and day with every staff member so pleasant and welcoming.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Seems specific to SFO. LAX experience is night and day with every staff member so pleasant and welcoming.
It's been a little while since I went to the LAX PL, but when I did the staff was always awesome.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by porciuscato
It's been a little while since I went to the LAX PL, but when I did the staff was always awesome.
I like going to the LAX PL because the agents at the entrance actually seem happy to see people using the lounge. But it is starting to get crowded this year, hope they can maintain the service level with the new flights.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uanj
I like going to the LAX PL because the agents at the entrance actually seem happy to see people using the lounge. But it is starting to get crowded this year, hope they can maintain the service level with the new flights.
With the addition of international flights out of LAX, Im also curious to see if service levels drop with the additional crowds.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not how I read it. Not conflict - just unmotivated, resentful servers. As you'll find in many places these days. Usually the result of poor management. Same basic problem has afflicted this lounge since shortly after opening.

Oh, for sure.
But the willingness of the GS agent to even share a comment such as "...they won't listen to the United employees..." with a passenger has a definite "us vs. them" feel to it. "Us" being the United employees and "them" being the contracted lounge staff.
If such disharmony exists for all who work there, it's no wonder it affects the passengers' experience.

Originally Posted by Kacee
As you'll find in many places these days.
But why SFO specifically?
EWR Polaris lounge isn't stellar in this regard, but 'acceptable'. ORD seems pretty decent. Why is SFO [apparently] the worst in the system?

ADDED:
Back in 2020 SFO Polaris Lounge ranked "BEST" in the system (IAD not open yet):
What's the best Polaris lounge to visit?

Maybe we need an updated 2024 poll??

Last edited by narvik; Mar 18, 2024 at 3:14 am
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
We need to get a new vote!

ADDED:
Back in 2020 SFO Polaris Lounge ranked "BEST" in the system (IAD not open yet):
What's the best Polaris lounge to visit?

Maybe we need an updated 2024 poll??
I agree! You could ask the moderator to remove the old results and add IAD PL to the list.

The old results were not representative because some people did not have chances to visit all PLs at that time. Even now, some people have not visited all PLs. For example, I have not visited LAX PL and there is no way that I will put LAX at the top. So, my vote should be excluded in counting all the votes for LAX PL. The new poll should consist of two polls. One is to count which of PLs that voters have visited, at least, once. The second one is to the weighted vote counts for the best PL. For example, ten voters visited LAX PL and five of them vote for it (50%); twenty voters visited EWR PL and five of them vote for it (25%). And so on. So, LAX PL is better than EWR PL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.