Search

My trivial gripe. What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is HPN included in the list at all?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
I get challenged every single time I use the 1k check in. I like having cardstock boarding passes, so every time I travel I stop by and ask to have one printed. Every single time the ‘guard’ makes a big fuss while letting other people through.

I finally asked the agent IAD why I get the special treatment, and she mentioned that I’m particularly young to be 1k (I was 24 at the time).
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:44 am

Zach Honig has a gripe about drink service: THE Problem With United FAs. Even I'm Fuming At This! - Airliners.net

Surprised I didn't see this mentioned on the forums.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
The hold music on the phone line (GS and presumably others) fading in and out in a fuzzy/scratchy/annoying way.

And gate agents announcing GS preboarding for only a split second before calling on Group 1.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by truncated
Whenever I type NYC in the flight search on .bomb the first option that comes up is EWR (followed by NYC, then LGA, HPN and only then JFK) — do they not realise people might want to search for all three NYC airports together…

For a period of two days, I was on a new beta United website. Every time I was putting EWR as my destination, the website was telling me to put an existing airport as it could not find EWR. After two days, I saw a little sign on the top to click here to go to the normal United website. I got so relieved because that beta site was driving me crazy.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
The hold music on the phone line (GS and presumably others) fading in and out in a fuzzy/scratchy/annoying way.

And gate agents announcing GS preboarding for only a split second before calling on Group 1.
The hold music issue with cell phones is not specific to UA. Basically cell phones use very limited frequency bandwidth that was chosen to match the natural spectrum of voices. So that design doesn't much change your perception of voices, but music has a different spectrum than voices, and it gets garbled.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Talking

Originally Posted by fumje
The hold music issue with cell phones is not specific to UA. Basically cell phones use very limited frequency bandwidth that was chosen to match the natural spectrum of voices. So that design doesn't much change your perception of voices, but music has a different spectrum than voices, and it gets garbled.
Although I have the same issue with my home phone.

My trivial gripe is my annoyance at spelling and grammatical errors while reading posts in Flyertalk.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Although I have the same issue with my home phone.

My trivial gripe is my annoyance at spelling and grammatical errors while reading posts in Flyertalk.
Perhaps I should not have said 'cell' phones—there are many non-cell systems that compress the audio as well.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by fumje
Much appreciated explanation. I amend my gripe to "United choosing to a use soundtrack for holds that is incompatible with the technology platform." Perhaps another audio selection would be preferred by all.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
1. Still being offered the survey when I call the GS line. I call the line because I want a quick resolution to something, and they are taking up another 15 seconds asking me if I want to take this damn survey! NO I DON'T AND I WANT TO BE PERMANENTLY REMOVED FROM YOU ASKING ME ABOUT IT.

2. More of a general airline gripe than anything else. But when leaving Las Vegas, can the airline(s), pre-screen the guy still loaded drunk, stinking of cigarettes, sun tan lotion, stripper perfume, and 48 hours of no sleep, showers, or deodorant? Maybe just provide a delousing area for them to sit in until the flight.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER

This realy bothers me to.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
1. Still being offered the survey when I call the GS line. I call the line because I want a quick resolution to something, and they are taking up another 15 seconds asking me if I want to take this damn survey! NO I DON'T AND I WANT TO BE PERMANENTLY REMOVED FROM YOU ASKING ME ABOUT IT.
Loltruth. You know you can just hit "2" immediately, and not have to listen any further? Anyway, I wonder if by taking the survey once, it'll never come back?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof
Loltruth. You know you can just hit "2" immediately, and not have to listen any further? Anyway, I wonder if by taking the survey once, it'll never come back?
The sad part is that if the survey was coming directly after the end of my call I would do it. But having to wait until they call me back is annoying. By then, I'm moving to other things. And, naturally, the days I reject the survey and hit "2", the agent is just the same kind of agent as the USAirways Chairman's Preferred angels.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
This has probably been brought up numerous times on FT, but I was in group 3 to board but couldn't get to the gate until group 4 was boarding. Of course the agents said all bags from then on were being checked. So I relinquished my bag. I get on the aircraft and the bins are not even 2/3rds full. After boarding ends, the bins across from my seat are wide open while I stare at them trying to make my bag appear there. Oh well. No big deal. But then a mechanical delays comes up and we have to deplane. Would be nice to have my bag to try and go for another flight, but I can't. Obviously, my gripe is that GA's just arbitrarily make up a point at which "the bins are full" when they aren't. I understand the need to get the flight out, and I too hate the chaotic last minute rush for people to bring bags forward that don't fit and the rush to hand-write tags at the bottom of the jet bridge. Perhaps there can be a better way?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by saxman66
This has probably been brought up numerous times on FT, but I was in group 3 to board but couldn't get to the gate until group 4 was boarding. Of course the agents said all bags from then on were being checked. So I relinquished my bag. I get on the aircraft and the bins are not even 2/3rds full. After boarding ends, the bins across from my seat are wide open while I stare at them trying to make my bag appear there. Oh well. No big deal. But then a mechanical delays comes up and we have to deplane. Would be nice to have my bag to try and go for another flight, but I can't. Obviously, my gripe is that GA's just arbitrarily make up a point at which "the bins are full" when they aren't. I understand the need to get the flight out, and I too hate the chaotic last minute rush for people to bring bags forward that don't fit and the rush to hand-write tags at the bottom of the jet bridge. Perhaps there can be a better way?
What do you suggest?

I feel like this is occurring more and more because of the corporate pressure to hit D:0. If they just check bags for everyone in G4, then they don't have to worry about tagging and loading them later, helping them achieve that D:0 goal. If they try being more accurate and just 1-2 bags have to be tagged and loaded, it could cause them to miss that deadline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.