Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My trivial gripe. What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
My trivial gripe is that not one purser has pronounced my (very difficult for Americans to pronounce correctly) last name right, ever.

So when greeting me, it's always, "Thank you for being a valued 1K member, Mrs./Mr. Stumble-stumble-stumble" at which point I usually interrupt and say, "Please, call me Big V." To be honest, I'm a bit uncomfortable being addressed so formally and prefer the first name.

Some pursers appear a bit uncomfortable calling me by my first name, but I prefer that over them mangling my last name. Even though I respond to every possible variant of wrong pronunciation (and nearly fall over the 1 out of 100 times when someone gets it right).

Trivial gripe, out.
Coskigirl likes this.

Last edited by big V; Jul 21, 2018 at 4:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by big V
(and nearly fall over the 1 out of 100 times when someone gets it right).
You should rejoice that 1 out of 100 times someone gets it right. My wife (hyphenated name) has the big 0. And we have been married 23 years. Naturally, the solution would be for her to only fly Economy so no FA would ever have to address her by her last name.........
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
You should rejoice that 1 out of 100 times someone gets it right. My wife (hyphenated name) has the big 0. And we have been married 23 years. Naturally, the solution would be for her to only fly Economy so no FA would ever have to address her by her last name.........
That's funny. My wife has the first name problem, because if you removed the "a" from the end of her name, it is a man's name. SHARES and boarding passes smush together first and middle names, so every phone and TSA agent think's she is using a man's BP. My trivial grip is when I call for one of her reservations, the agent always thinks I am her (minus the A).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Broken/worn out USB ports on planes and in the UC. I get it that metal fatigue happens, but it seems rare to find a working USB port these days. Not sure why I even bother as it ends in sadness.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Not being notified of itin changes.

I'm about to embark upon the return and my 6AM flight was cancelled sometime between midnight and 1AM, which I only caught because I checked my flight prior to getting two hours of power rest.

Of the original 6 flights booked, 3 in each direction, only the first segment was flown, and at no time was I even contacted. That I was able to deal with getting a better than stuck in Cleveland (hello Cleveland. Rock n Roll) schedule was entirely upon my obsessive checking of the itin. ARRRG.

I realize the NYC weather last night precluded some barbie jets from arriving but jeez, how about a freekin' email alert.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry

Gee, thanks for the offer UA...

(not to mention I can't legally rent a car yet in most US states...but I suppose expecting that level of precision in their offer targeting is unfair)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: United 1K
Advertising on the IFE system.
mr8 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:02 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
When the FAs have no idea about a drink that is listed on the hemisphere magazine.
I get that united keeps changing their drink menu, but it's not like they're adding new drinks to the menu!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the flights without an assigned aircraft (more than approx. five days out) are scheduled to be served by motor coach.

And they don't even have wifi or power.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by fumje
All the flights without an assigned aircraft (more than approx. five days out) are scheduled to be served by motor coach.
Is that the new Megabus codeshare program?

(except I think those actually have wifi and power!)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:26 am

No Polaris lounges (or UC for that matter) at UA Rail stations when arriving from/departing towards a Polaris long haul flight. Also the lack of E+ seating on UA Trains is somewhat annoying, albeit there is a bit more leg room on the train than on the plane
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

The good news is that the motor coach still has a Polaris Business.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
The landing plane doesn't have nose gear. Was thinking we would pop a wheelie the whole way to the gate. sadly disappointed.

Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Toilet Doilies

They’re often packed too tightly in the container, so either rip or come out in a bunch.

I also think it would be a nice addition to the safety announcement, if they’d show which way around they’re supposed to be applied: does the lip to to the front or the back? Is it rougher side up or down?

I’d pay attention to a toilet doily demonstration.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
"First Class?"

The question "First Class?" posed by the person who stands at the entrance to the 'Polaris/1K' check-in area at EWR, Terminal C.

I normally answer with "No" and proceed to the kiosk anyway...
Silver Fox and Icydubloon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.