Search

My trivial gripe. What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by caburrito
Zach Honig has a gripe about drink service: THE Problem With United FAs. Even I'm Fuming At This! - Airliners.net

Surprised I didn't see this mentioned on the forums.
He wrote a post today about how it continued to unfold: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ashioned-saga/
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Although I have the same issue with my home phone.

My trivial gripe is my annoyance at spelling and grammatical errors while reading posts in Flyertalk.
does me being Australian and spelling stuff with a S not a z annoy you too?

I hate no slippers on a flight.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:45 pm

Those several seconds it takes from the moment you scan your boarding pass to the point where the reader beeps to confirm to the dragon that you're allowed in. Last year when I went to the HNL UA Club it took nearly 2 minutes for the darned scanner to come back with the beep (likely because I SDC'ed the return itinerary, my flight back was HNL -> DEN then DEN -> YYZ on the following day causing some confusion on the part of the scanner). If I had a jar for all the seconds wasted scanning my boarding pass, I would have enough time to order and consume a red bull at the lounge!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
What do you suggest?

I feel like this is occurring more and more because of the corporate pressure to hit D:0. If they just check bags for everyone in G4, then they don't have to worry about tagging and loading them later, helping them achieve that D:0 goal. If they try being more accurate and just 1-2 bags have to be tagged and loaded, it could cause them to miss that deadline.
UA was beta testing an app to connect GA MAP devices to FA LINK devices via a walk-in talkie type system during boarding. Not sure what happened to that beta, but it’s a perfect solution if they can get it to reliably work. In the meantime, they can provide FAs with a radio for boarding and pick it up when the door gets shut.

Otherwise, they should be doing what good agents do: walk down the jet bridge and ask the FA at the door for a count of bag spaces remaining. It’s not perfect but it’s much better than arbitrarily deciding when they’re going to cut bags off (and piss off pax who see tons of empty spaces)

D:00 is a flawed metric (of which I’m not a fan), but as long as the company pushes it, some people will prioritize that over anything else.

My trivial gripe is that these gripes tend to have easy fixes. Also, I should start to stay away from this thread.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:03 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
That the united.com web site defaults to "Welcome back, 1984SW" even when I haven't signed in yet. I still fall for that every. single. time. and continue on thinking I'm logged in until a pop-up later in a flight search/booking suggests I log in to get better results. When I see my name upon first entering a web site I assume I'm logged in, not that the web site being faux familiar and using my name from a cookie.
ordflyer18 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by 1984SW
That the united.com web site defaults to "Welcome back, 1984SW" even when I haven't signed in yet. I still fall for that every. single. time. and continue on thinking I'm logged in until a pop-up later in a flight search/booking suggests I log in to get better results. When I see my name upon first entering a web site I assume I'm logged in, not that the web site being faux familiar and using my name from a cookie.
Unfortunately cookies and sessions are very different in the computer world. If you were to stay signed in, your session would probably never time-out, which is a huge security flaw, and one which I would exploit and submit to United's bug finder challenge. So you probably want them to delete the cookie, which, unfortunately, is stored on the client device (aka your computer). I think you would hear an uproar if United was running code to delete a personal cookie on a user's computer, you know, privacy, security, etc etc

So that's why you see what you see!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
My MP# usually shows up in autocomplete in my browser, but sometimes it appears as *****XX and it won't let me sign in that way.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
does me being Australian and spelling stuff with a S not a z annoy you too?

I hate no slippers on a flight.
Actually, no. I see that and say to myself - "Oh, this person isn't American." I must admit it took me a while to realize that the meaning of "return flight" is different in different countries.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
My MP# usually shows up in autocomplete in my browser, but sometimes it appears as *****XX and it won't let me sign in that way.
oh, this is a good one. Although I will add that sometimes it will let you sign in, and other times it won't. I THINK it has to do with a timeout, but I haven't investigated. I can't even describe how annoying it is.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you probably want them to delete the cookie, which, unfortunately, is stored on the client device (aka your computer). I think you would hear an uproar if United was running code to delete a personal cookie on a user's computer, you know, privacy, security, etc etc
Huh? That doesn't make the least bit of sense. The cookie that contains the user identifier was created by United. It could expire, or they could delete it with no uproar whatsoever. Websites delete your cookies all the time. It's also up to UA whether or not they choose to make use of that information. It would be simple for them to leave out the welcome message if the user doesn't have an active session.

Many websites operate in the same manner as United, though. There are three states of the United website; anonymous, low-trust, and high-trust. In anonymous mode, the website doesn't know who the user is. In low-trust mode, the website knows who the user was at some point in the past, and can provide a personalized experience, but without providing access to sensitive data in case it's not the same user as it used to be. In high-trust mode, the user has logged in recently and has an active session, and all information is available.

It's entirely up to UA what functions require high-trust mode. I actually think it's a little silly that flight searches are in the high-trust zone; why shouldn't expert mode remain active until / unless someone logs out explicitly?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Huh? That doesn't make the least bit of sense. The cookie that contains the user identifier was created by United. It could expire, or they could delete it with no uproar whatsoever. Websites delete your cookies all the time. It's also up to UA whether or not they choose to make use of that information. It would be simple for them to leave out the welcome message if the user doesn't have an active session.

Many websites operate in the same manner as United, though. There are three states of the United website; anonymous, low-trust, and high-trust. In anonymous mode, the website doesn't know who the user is. In low-trust mode, the website knows who the user was at some point in the past, and can provide a personalized experience, but without providing access to sensitive data in case it's not the same user as it used to be. In high-trust mode, the user has logged in recently and has an active session, and all information is available.

It's entirely up to UA what functions require high-trust mode. I actually think it's a little silly that flight searches are in the high-trust zone; why shouldn't expert mode remain active until / unless someone logs out explicitly?
+1, mostly. (+0.9?)

The flight search history makes sense to designate high trust, but expert mode in search results seems just fine for low trust. The only reason I can imagine to make it high trust is to add a hurdle to scraping the results.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
+1, mostly. (+0.9?)

The flight search history makes sense to designate high trust, but expert mode in search results seems just fine for low trust. The only reason I can imagine to make it high trust is to add a hurdle to scraping the results.
Sure, I could see that. Amusingly, the search history is actually in the low-trust zone -- I can see it right now even though I'm not logged in. And, yes, you're right; it's probably an anti-scraping measure. I'm not sure how effective it is -- if someone's writing a scraper, I doubt it's that much of a hassle to have it log in before searching -- but I bet that's the reason.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, I could see that. Amusingly, the search history is actually in the low-trust zone -- I can see it right now even though I'm not logged in. And, yes, you're right; it's probably an anti-scraping measure. I'm not sure how effective it is -- if someone's writing a scraper, I doubt it's that much of a hassle to have it log in before searching -- but I bet that's the reason.
Haha, oops.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
What do you suggest?

I feel like this is occurring more and more because of the corporate pressure to hit D:0. If they just check bags for everyone in G4, then they don't have to worry about tagging and loading them later, helping them achieve that D:0 goal. If they try being more accurate and just 1-2 bags have to be tagged and loaded, it could cause them to miss that deadline.
I think an approach like AS has would work wonders. Check bags when the overheads are 'full' or BG4, but allow an exemption for elites to gate check their bags. This prevents the need to wait at baggage claim, and also prevents the issue like the OP describes about not being able to standby since he had checked luggage. It should only be a trickle of bags anyway since most elites board right away. If they implemented this, I would no longer feel the pressure to board ridiculously early.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

The mobile app experience also has some oddities. For example, assuming I chose "remember me" the last time I logged in, I can see my reservations, change seats, and more without separately logging in. But if I tap the yellow bar on the home page for my account information, I have to log in (fingerprint, actually). It will sometimes ask the security questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.