Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My trivial gripe. What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I was just reminded of one of my favorite gripes. “Disabled” people boarding early, then taking an exit row seat.
Just boarded 785 from CLE to Chicago. As the disabled are called, 2 plainclothes guys with crew badges to the scanner. Gate agent questions them. “Disabled?” They way yep. GA says “you are in an exit row” in a very questioning tone. “Yep” they respond. GA then says “will you be able to help in an emergency?” They respond in the affirmative and board the plane.

I see people claiming to be “Disabled” in exit rows quite often... the fact it was crew doing it was icing on the cake. IMO if your disability is such that you require extra time to just put your luggage away, you have no business in an exit row.
I'd like to see the policy be that all Disabled passengers who need a wheel chair be seated in the very back of the plane so that they don't retard the deplaning upon arrival and in case of safety incidents. Ditto for those seated in aisle seats = safety risk if they cannot get up quickly in an accident. My guess is "disabled" number of people per flight would go down by 80%.

If I were disabled, I'd been ticked at all of the scammers.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United should allow profile to include different seat preferences for redeye vs day flights.
How about if they just respected preferences at all? I always get assigned a window seat even though my profile says aisle. (Conversely, my wife's profile says window and she always gets assigned an aisle.)
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I was just reminded of one of my favorite gripes. “Disabled” people boarding early, then taking an exit row seat.
Just boarded 785 from CLE to Chicago. As the disabled are called, 2 plainclothes guys with crew badges to the scanner. Gate agent questions them. “Disabled?” They way yep. GA says “you are in an exit row” in a very questioning tone. “Yep” they respond. GA then says “will you be able to help in an emergency?” They respond in the affirmative and board the plane.

I see people claiming to be “Disabled” in exit rows quite often... the fact it was crew doing it was icing on the cake. IMO if your disability is such that you require extra time to just put your luggage away, you have no business in an exit row.
Oh I hope you are going to report this incident to UA. You would think UA would have a policy that disabled people are not permitted to sit in the exit row for safety reasons.
iluv2fly and Phil Level like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Oh I hope you are going to report this incident to UA. You would think UA would have a policy that disabled people are not permitted to sit in the exit row for safety reasons.
They do. It happens quite often LAX-IAD, disabled will try pre-boarding, get the beep signaling disabled and then the gate agent spends the next 2 minutes moving them.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You would think UA would have a policy that disabled people are not permitted to sit in the exit row for safety reasons.
Actually, the FAA does and United can get severely fined for this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
I'm pretty sure it's FAA regulations and not individual airline's policy.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From the context of the story, it appears the "disability" was non-existent. Seems these were some sort of credential individuals boarding earlier. So no violation of the exit rows policy, but likely other violations.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If I have a flight at 6:30 AM, I would hate for it to be earlier. Less sleep for me. But the flight being pushed later would make me really happy.

Even if you were connecting? 99.99% of my flights, living in PDX and continually connecting in SFO.....
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by timfountain
Even if you were connecting? 99.99% of my flights, living in PDX and continually connecting in SFO.....
Yes, and I do connect on 100% of my trips because the way my connections work, when I go to PVG, I have about 4 hours in ORD if I take the 6:30 AM flight. I don't dare book the flight that is about 2 hours later from my small city as I don't believe that 2 hours is enough connecting time in ORD when all my planes are CR2s. So, if they advance the time of my flight it means I get less sleep and additional time waiting in ORD. For other destinations in Asia where the flights are later I can take the 8:30 AM flight that still gives me 4 hours in ORD but even that one I would not want it earlier (for sure I would not dare take the 11:30 AM flight that only gives me one hour in ORD). Then, there are the times when I'm going to Europe where my only option is the 11:30 AM flight (there are no afternoon flights until 6:30 PM) and then I have to wait 7 hours in ORD. If they advance that flight, again it increases my waiting time in ORD but at least it would not affect my sleep time. Not easy to escape from my small city (disclosure: I'm not in ITH anymore).
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
This morning I realized how much more I prefer quilted toilet paper with little roses (or whatever they are) embossed into the TP. The TP on united not only is unquilted, put plain.

Quelle horreur!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
There has to be some way to make the snack boxes easier to open. (Less trivial - don't much like the recent changes in them)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Drinks in intl F and J still served in a plastic cup. It's honestly a joke it's still that way.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by Austin787
Not able to pre-order business or first meals online

No earning PQD on *A partner airlines unless ticket starts with 016
+1 Both of these are pretty irritating, since AA does allow pre-ordering F meals in your reservation, which is additionally nice because I know beforehand what the offerings are.

And I agree with other poster re: longer time than DL (and AA) for miles to post.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
The toilet seat in the first class lav on some 737s won't stay up/open without having to hold it in place. Its really annoying.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by UAL250
Drinks in intl F and J still served in a plastic cup. It's honestly a joke it's still that way.
For PDBs? If so, the alternative is glassware that must be picked up prior to door closure or taxi (one of the two, I forget).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.