Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My trivial gripe. What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:47 pm

My trivial gripe is when on flights returning to USA the FAs come around passing out the CBP forms and I tell them I don't need it and they still give me one "just in case." I hope that is trivial enough
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
i always cringe when she says “control”
Thanks. Now that you’ve put it in my head, I bet it will irritate me too.

I’ll be in SFO next week and will record that announcement, so people can hear how much we suffer!
Chukiechz likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by rodmanlama
My trivial gripe is when on flights returning to USA the FAs come around passing out the CBP forms and I tell them I don't need it and they still give me one "just in case." I hope that is trivial enough
As stupid as it sounds I usually take one and fill one out anyway. I've never seen the GS kiosks down but I've heard it has happened before. Plus, the US forms are easy and quick to fill out.

Originally Posted by 985X
It's sad UA has ONLY two meal options for INTL economy. And it has ALWAYS been chicken and vegetarian (like vegetarian pasta or that disgusting miso "ramen"). Sure, you get what you paid for, but serving passengers with only two choices that remain unchanged is just not humane. The sausage in the pancake is even shorter than my ringfinger. And the bread roll is a challenge for my teeth. I am not saying UA should keep up with EVA or Asiana, but please at least follow Delta's standards, give INTL Y passengers a third choice that is not chicken or vegan.
Does Eva or Asiana offer more than 2 options? With that said either option on both of those airlines is delicious. When I was still in school I'd almost always ask for a 2nd portion on Eva. It's solidly good food. The problem with UA's Y food is that it's not only bad, but it's worse than any of those fast food chains out there. Like I'd rather they just serve Sbarro's for Italian or Panda Express for Chinese and it'd be infinitely better than the dog food they serve.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2018 at 5:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
I'm sure Eva and Asiana don't. And they only offer one option on short-hauls like TPE-PVG or ICN-PVG. Still tasty though. The problem of UA is that the 2nd option is vegan! From all the airlines I've flown so far, UA is the only airline that offers vegan meal as a 2nd option. Virgin Atlantic has vegan option as well, but they serve beef or chicken apart from that. I think other passengers need as much protein as I do, serving vegan meal across all INTL destinations doesn't make sense. I am not flying Air India, and even in China where a lot of people believe in buddhism, vegan option is only available through requesting special meals. I've never been served vegan meal "by default" on all Chinese carriers.

Originally Posted by dmo580
Does Eva or Asiana offer more than 2 options? With that said either option on both of those airlines is delicious. When I was still in school I'd almost always ask for a 2nd portion on Eva. It's solidly good food. The problem with UA's Y food is that it's not only bad, but it's worse than any of those fast food chains out there. Like I'd rather they just serve Sbarro's for Italian or Panda Express for Chinese and it'd be infinitely better than the dog food they serve.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 985X
The problem of UA is that the 2nd option is vegan!
I've never seen United offer a vegan meal. They will sometimes offer a vegetarian meal, but that's as far as I've seen it go.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:01 pm

EVA only has 2 options in Y on their LAX-TPE route at least.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rodmanlama
As stupid as it sounds I usually take one and fill one out anyway. I've never seen the GS kiosks down but I've heard it has happened before. Plus, the US forms are easy and quick to fill out.
My wife and I always take one each even though we use the Global Entry computers. For if there's a malfunction. And in ORD sometimes there's a special immigration desk for people with no checked luggage that really cuts the time, even from the low time when using the Global Entry computers. And for that exit you need to have the form filled.

The other one, my wife keeps and fills it in advance on the return from the next international trip because her trivial gripe is that the FAs sometimes give the cards late when it's not such a convenient time.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Comp4k
EVA only has 2 options in Y on their LAX-TPE route at least.
Right, which is why I don't understand why there's a complaint about having only 2 options on UA? I find the BR options very tasty. I struggle with picking between the two choices and I remember asking for seconds to try the other dish.

For people with dietary restrictions, doesn't it make sense to have a special meal request anyway?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:13 pm

My new trivial gripe...not having an arm rest on the luxurious exit row seat 18A on the 145. The foil tape is a nice touch though.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
My wife and I always take one each even though we use the Global Entry computers. For if there's a malfunction. And in ORD sometimes there's a special immigration desk for people with no checked luggage that really cuts the time, even from the low time when using the Global Entry computers. And for that exit you need to have the form filled.

The other one, my wife keeps and fills it in advance on the return from the next international trip because her trivial gripe is that the FAs sometimes give the cards late when it's not such a convenient time.
I discovered this the hard way at ORD a few months ago. It's ridiculous there are no kiosks or forms and you should just know.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

Thanks. Now that you’ve put it in my head, I bet it will irritate me too.

I’ll be in SFO next week and will record that announcement, so people can hear how much we suffer!
Without a doubt, the most annoying canned announcement in any airport I've been to.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:55 am

Current Trivial Gripe = slow posting of miles. I flew Delta for the first time recently and was shocked at how quickly (aka the next morning) my miles posted compared to UA.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:56 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yup happened to me once. I went to a GE kiosk, went through the whole process and then turns out the machine ran out of the paper, so nothing printed. I called over a CPB officer and he told me to try again on another machine, but when I did it said I already entered the country so I couldn’t do it again. So my only option was to fill out the form right there and they said it’ll be processed manually. And of course that’s the one time I thought there’s no point of filling out the form just in case! I learned my lesson though.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Well, it was only uncouth when you were licking the wrapper to get the sugary sweet topping.
Well if you know a better way to gorge oneself in those 2,000 calories of melted sugary sweet topping when this happens, I'm all ears. What does united expect me to do, use a fork and miss some of it? Geez!

Last night the flight attendant brought me my PDB (Jack Daniels and Diet Coke if you must know), and forgot a straw. I had to remix it with my finger. Its service like this that is ruining the whole travel experience.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
Well if you know a better way to gorge oneself in those 2,000 calories of melted sugary sweet topping when this happens, I'm all ears. What does united expect me to do, use a fork and miss some of it? Geez!

Last night the flight attendant brought me my PDB (Jack Daniels and Diet Coke if you must know), and forgot a straw. I had to remix it with my finger. Its service like this that is ruining the whole travel experience.
Sure, but you didn't have to suck the jack/dc off your finger. You could have just wiped your finger on your shirt like a civilized person.

But the pain is real. I've had many an unmixed and strawless drink served on UA. I've learned to solve this problem by simply chugging the drink, no matter how big the glass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.