Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2023, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jsloan
it's not like there's a longer route to save them for.
You forget IAH-SYD :-D

-RM
Old Dec 8, 2023, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You forget IAH-SYD :-D

-RM
Indeed, so I did.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elib
Thank you for the response! I'm seeing tons of PZ avails on the SFO-SIN routes in December, though. Is that just bc it's not a popular December destination? Or do you think it's difficult to clear always and December is a fluke? Thanks again.
What dates do you see available? Later December and January are lighter demand, so there is a better chance now than the rest of the year, but it will still be difficult most days.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC 75K; HHonors Diamond; IHG Diamond; Bonvoy Gold;
Upgrade chances on UA27 Tue 12 Dec

UA27 DEN-LHR on Tue 12 Dec

Recently minted MP-Silver booked in R class with pending MUA. Inventory shows: J9 JN9 C9 D8 Z7 ZN7 P6 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O3 ON3 A2 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9

Two questions:
1) chances for upgrade clearance?
2) website shows availability to book new R tickets but inventory shows R0. Why?

Thanks Flyer Talk!
Old Dec 8, 2023, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the response! I'm seeing tons of PZ avails on the SFO-SIN routes in December, though. Is that just bc it's not a popular December destination? Or do you think it's difficult to clear always and December is a fluke? Thanks again.
Originally Posted by jsloan
I see no PZ availability from SFO to SIN in December. I see a few days' worth from SIN to SFO, just prior to Christmas, likely because few business travelers are coming to the US for Christmas.

SIN-SFO and vv almost never have advance PZ. UA tries to sell the seats all the way to departure, and it's a challenging route to clear because absolutely everyone with status will use their PlusPoints on that flight -- it's not like there's a longer route to save them for.
Originally Posted by fumje
What dates do you see available? Later December and January are lighter demand, so there is a better chance now than the rest of the year, but it will still be difficult most days.
I checked every single SFO-SIN flight for late December starting with the 23rd. The only flight with any availability is the morning flight on NYE December 31 going SFO-SIN. That flight is PN9 PZ6. Every single other flight from the 23rd to the 31st is PN=0 and PZ=0. So there is absolutely not wide availability whatsoever.

-RM

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2023 at 5:58 pm Reason: cleanup after move
Old Dec 8, 2023, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

I haven’t looked at SIN in a few weeks. I’ll check it out. In mid-November there were no deals (pricing or PZ) on SIN. I hope things have changed!
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:11 pm

I'm trying to upgrade two Silver passengers on UA 875 (12/12) to either PE or Polaris. Currently it shows: J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN5 PZ2 IN0 I0 O9 ON9 A9 R9 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 XN9 X9

Looks like PE is oversold from what I can tell. Do these folks stand any chance?

Last edited by malgudi; Dec 9, 2023 at 9:03 am
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by malgudi
I'm trying to upgrade two Silver passengers on UA 875 (12/12) to either PE or Polaris, from E+. Currently it shows: J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN5 PZ2 IN0 I0 O9 ON9 A9 R9 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 XN9 X9

Looks like PE is oversold from what I can tell. Do these folks stand any chance?
PZ2 means they’d clear immediately with Plus Points or MUA
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm counting on parents being too poor from a couple of days at Disney
My 1K upgrade along with my girlfriend’s cleared at T-24 on tomorrow nights MCO-DEN.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by United747
PZ2 means they’d clear immediately with Plus Points or MUA
I'm using my PP to upgrade them ... wonder why the upgrades didn't clear in that case
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
I'm using my PP to upgrade them ... wonder why the upgrades didn't clear in that case
If they are waitlisted then remove the upgrade and re-apply. If the flight is still PZ2 they will clear immediately. There's a lag between when PZ space shows up and when the computer runs to process upgrades.

-RM
ContinentalFan and tstauck like this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
If they are waitlisted then remove the upgrade and re-apply. If the flight is still PZ2 they will clear immediately. There's a lag between when PZ space shows up and when the computer runs to process upgrades.

-RM
Done

Now shows PZ4
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.

Last edited by malgudi; Dec 9, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC 75K; HHonors Diamond; IHG Diamond; Bonvoy Gold;
Can someone help clarify how to understand the upgrade list?

Are the two upgraded passengers included in the 36 "booked", which suggests that as of today there are 12 seats free?

If nothing changes between now and departure, #'s 1-12 on the upgrade list would be expected to clear?

Thanks!

Old Dec 10, 2023, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dirkhotel
Can someone help clarify how to understand the upgrade list?

Are the two upgraded passengers included in the 36 "booked", which suggests that as of today there are 12 seats free?

If nothing changes between now and departure, #'s 1-12 on the upgrade list would be expected to clear?

Thanks!

img
The 36 booked includes the two already upgraded. Yes, if nothing changes, 1-12 will clear on that flight *. But things will change. Perhaps 1-8 will make the cut.

* On some aircraft, there is a seat held back for crew, but the 789 doesn't need it.
jsloan and jackk763 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Something change recently with how cleared upgrades are displayed vs. when they are not? Like in the screenshot above, I've noticed cleared upgrades showing up more often on the Flight status page outside of T-24/36 hr than I am used to seeing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.