FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1885647-consolidated-chance-upgrade-clearing-my-flight.html)

tlhommed Dec 2, 19 7:23 pm

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

I have booked an award itinerary for my family of four, XN fares, and requested GPU for the flights EWR-CDG, Jan 12 2020. I've been wait listed, showing P0, PN0, PZ0. As a GS, any chance these upgrades will clear? Plenty of seats available as I see it today.

dkc192 Dec 2, 19 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by tlhommed (Post 31798162)
I have booked an award itinerary for my family of four, XN fares, and requested GPU for the flights EWR-CDG, Jan 12 2020. I've been wait listed, showing P0, PN0, PZ0. As a GS, any chance these upgrades will clear? Plenty of seats available as I see it today.

The flight is currently J9 C9 D9 Z1 P0. With these inventory numbers, coupled with the large party and Sundays being a generally tough day for TATL upgrades, I'd say your chances aren't great. If they do clear, they'd clear inside of T-24 or T-48, most likely at the gate. If I were you, I'd be preparing for some or all of you to sit in coach.

GVABound Dec 3, 19 1:45 pm

Looks like I have to do a quick trip to PEK weekend after next. I can connect through either EWR or IAD. I would like some opinions on which looks the most likely to clear as a 1k. EWR-PEK is served by a 777-200 with 48J seats, IAD-PEK by a 787-8 with 36J seats.

Outbound 12/13 (Friday) (E fare)
EWR-PEK
J9, JN9, C9, D8, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, PZ0

IAD-PEK
J8, JN8, C8, D7, Z5, ZN5, P4, PN1, PZ0

Return 12/15 (Sunday) (W fare)

PEK-IAD
J9, JN9, C9, D8, Z7, ZN7, P0, PN0

PEK-EWR
J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z7, ZN7, P4, PN0, PZ0

sfo3388 Dec 3, 19 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31791533)
If you have checked in, yes.

I checked in at T-23. I was upgraded to Polaris with miles + copay at T-2. My name was not on the upgrade waiting list until I was confirmed with a seat assignment. It just came from nowhere. Looks like there is an invisible list.

RobOnLI Dec 3, 19 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by GVABound (Post 31801126)
Looks like I have to do a quick trip to PEK weekend after next. I can connect through either EWR or IAD. I would like some opinions on which looks the most likely to clear as a 1k. EWR-PEK is served by a 777-200 with 48J seats, IAD-PEK by a 787-8 with 36J seats.

Outbound 12/13 (Friday) (E fare)
EWR-PEK
J9, JN9, C9, D8, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, PZ0

IAD-PEK
J8, JN8, C8, D7, Z5, ZN5, P4, PN1, PZ0

Return 12/15 (Sunday) (W fare)

PEK-IAD
J9, JN9, C9, D8, Z7, ZN7, P0, PN0

PEK-EWR
J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z7, ZN7, P4, PN0, PZ0

Tough upgrade in the system either way. On the outbound the nod goes to IAD because it has PN1 which means any waitlisted GS have already been upgraded. The downside is there are only 8 seats for sale. EWR has more seats for sale but hasn't upgraded GS who are currently on the waitlist. For the return that's easier...pick EWR. More seats for sale in the higher classes (D in particular) and more seats on the plane.

Don't get your hopes up for either upgrade happening in advance.

-RM

dkc192 Dec 4, 19 12:36 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 31801814)
because it has PN1 which means any waitlisted GS have already been upgraded.

Slight correction: with PN1 all we know for certain is that all single GS travelers should have cleared. There could be GS parties of 2+ still waitlisted.

NYTA Dec 4, 19 6:34 am

Currently wait-listed for a "Plus Points" upgrade on UA 955 TLV-SFO on Dec 20. I'm gold and wife is 1K (points came from her account). Seems odd that we were waitlisted since it looks like there are 20+ seats available in Business on that flight. We were immediately confirmed for the return flight. Any thoughts from the group of the likelihood of clearing and when?

jsloan Dec 4, 19 6:41 am

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 31803550)
Currently wait-listed for a "Plus Points" upgrade on UA 955 TLV-SFO on Dec 20. I'm gold and wife is 1K (points came from her account). Seems odd that we were waitlisted since it looks like there are 20+ seats available in Business on that flight. We were immediately confirmed for the return flight. Any thoughts from the group of the likelihood of clearing and when?

It's not odd that you were waitlisted; UA doesn't upgrade passengers based on the number of currently-open seats, but rather the number that they think they'll be able to sell.

The Friday night / Saturday morning flight (Dec. 21) is available for immediate upgrade. The Thursday night / Friday morning flight (Dec. 20) is not, but the inventory looks reasonably promising -- it's at J9 .. P9 PN0 PZ0. PZ is the fare class used for upgrades from a 1K account. So, this means that they're willing to offer discount fares (P9) but not yet willing to offer upgrades (PN0 - no GS upgrades).

If you clear, it could be anytime between more-or-less immediately and after you've already boarded the plane; it depends upon how sales go and how many passengers might already be on the waitlist.

If you'd care to mess around with your phone's date, you may be able to get a sneak peak at the current upgrade list by changing its date to Dec. 19 (in your settings) and checking the flight status in the app. This may mess with your calendar and reminders, though.

NYC2SGN Dec 4, 19 8:43 am

Flying from EWR-BOM next month

Right now it's showing: J9 JN9 C9 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0.

Anyone know what the likelihood of clearing into J with a GPU/40PP is?

If it's super competitive... I could buy up to H fare class.

Kacee Dec 4, 19 10:33 am

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN (Post 31804049)
If it's super competitive... I could buy up to H fare class.

That's called "good money after bad."

tlhommed Dec 4, 19 11:13 am

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 31798219)
The flight is currently J9 C9 D9 Z1 P0. With these inventory numbers, coupled with the large party and Sundays being a generally tough day for TATL upgrades, I'd say your chances aren't great. If they do clear, they'd clear inside of T-24 or T-48, most likely at the gate. If I were you, I'd be preparing for some or all of you to sit in coach.

One last question, they put me on the waitlist, but then charged me for the use of the gpu, like $45 per request. Is that typical? I thought they'd debit the points/gpus and financial obligations at the time of clearance, if any?

Kacee Dec 4, 19 11:36 am

Originally Posted by tlhommed (Post 31804723)
One last question, they put me on the waitlist, but then charged me for the use of the gpu, like $45 per request. Is that typical? I thought they'd debit the points/gpus and financial obligations at the time of clearance, if any?

There's currently a system error where application of PlusPoints generates a receipt that appears to charge cash, but is actually just reflecting the PP deduction. I'm betting yours says 40.00, reflecting deduction of 40 PlusPoints.

tlhommed Dec 4, 19 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31804834)
There's currently a system error where application of PlusPoints generates a receipt that appears to charge cash, but is actually just reflecting the PP deduction. I'm betting yours says 40.00, reflecting deduction of 40 PlusPoints.

They actually debited $178+/- from my credit card. With respect to PP, they are allocating/holding 40 per ticket, as expected.

Kacee Dec 4, 19 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by tlhommed (Post 31805129)
They actually debited $178+/- from my credit card. With respect to PP, they are allocating/holding 40 per ticket, as expected.

Are those the taxes and fees are on the award tickets?

fumje Dec 4, 19 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by tlhommed (Post 31805129)

Is this relating to your EWR/CDG question above?

There is a premium-cabin tax ex-CDG, which might total $178 for 4 passengers, although I did think it was slightly less than that.