Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2023, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
7 seats left for sale and currently #5 and #6 as 1Ks on A fare. How we feeling?
Near-zero chance unless PE is oversold by at least a couple. Then, marginal.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Gold
TPE-SFO 1/1 12:45pm flight

7 seats left for sale and currently #5 and #6 as 1Ks on A fare. How we feeling? I'm feeling battlefield to no upgrade but hoping for better.
Flight is currently J7 C7 D7 Z6 ZN6 P4 PN0 PZ0
Originally Posted by jsloan
i missed T-36 sweep on SFO-TPE last week and J was fully booked at T-24. I was #1 at check-in cutoff with 1 seat left but blocked (inop) but one person didn't check in so i was cleared by ga. Then 4 people missed the flight due to connection delays so a whole family cleared.

so I would give it an arbitrary 32% chance
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leftysauce
Then 4 people missed the flight due to connection delays so a whole family cleared.
Odds are much better of that on SFO-TPE than TPE-SFO, unfortunately for OP.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: United
Best chances to upgrade for LHR flight

Hello, I need to fly to LHR on Jan 14. I understand Sundays are difficult to clear upgrades due to business travel at the start of the week. I’m curious about opinions for routing with most viable chances to clear? I’d prefer to use from DEN, IAH (either flight will work), or LAX. The date is fixed however (funeral service I’m attending). Thanks for the feedback!
Old Dec 23, 2023, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wizna5j3
Ha - me too, but alas, not enough PP left this year...
You can use miles to upgrade. Ooops - now I've seen that's already been suggested.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
TPE-SFO 1/1 12:45pm flight

7 seats left for sale and currently #5 and #6 as 1Ks on A fare. How we feeling? I'm feeling battlefield to no upgrade but hoping for better.
Flight is currently J7 C7 D7 Z6 ZN6 P4 PN0 PZ0
You are taking UA852. You could consider changing to UA871 that departs TPE 1.5 hours earlier, which has J9 and 12 J seats unassigned. It also has R1 so you should not have much difficulty moving your A fare ticket.
Of course you could be on worse position if UA871 has a lot of GS on the waitlist. There are ways to find out.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Dec 23, 2023 at 4:20 pm
Old Dec 23, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
You are taking UA852. You could consider changing to UA871 that departs TPE 1.5 hours earlier, which has J9 and 12 J seats unassigned. It also has R1 so you should not have much difficulty moving your A fare ticket.
Of course you could be on worse position if UA871 has a lot of GS on the waitlist. There are ways to find out.
Being pedantic here, but I think you mean UA872 not UA871, which is SFO-TPE. Just in case OP goes strictly by flight number and gets confused.
PanAmWT likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Haha so we would actually be worse off on that flight. according to an agent I talked to maybe a week ago, there's roughly 12 GS on the waitlist for that one followed by 5 1Ks on O fares so me and my dad would end up at 18 and 19 on the waitlist.
Originally Posted by leftysauce
i missed T-36 sweep on SFO-TPE last week and J was fully booked at T-24. I was #1 at check-in cutoff with 1 seat left but blocked (inop) but one person didn't check in so i was cleared by ga. Then 4 people missed the flight due to connection delays so a whole family cleared.
so I would give it an arbitrary 32% chance
Time to google how to make 8 people disappear for a few days.
Lovely, just what I was so excited to hear . If this doesn't clear, guess I'll have to figure out how to use/give away 60 pluspoints before 1/31
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LatinFlyer97
Hi! What are the odds of clearing upgrades (PZ>0) in May 2024,
1) ORD-BCN a Saturday
2) BRU-EWR a Saturday

It would be for me and my partner therefore 2 upgrades on each flight.

Context: I have no status with United, only Presidential with Copa Airlines (Star Alliance Gold). Copa hands instant upgrade certificates that work on United as long as there is PZ availability.
Best hope is to monitor PZ spaces (I spaces according to another thread) constantly. PZ spaces may open between T-48 and T-36 hours if Polaris cabin has many unsold seats. You need to turn on "Expert mode" in your flight search to see fare availability. Good luck.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:14 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
RN vs PN

Originally Posted by wizna5j3
Am flying back from Europe next week connecting in MUC and have a waitlisted upgrade to Premium Plus, but I see low chances (down to R0 now), so I looked at changing my connection to FRA, which is at R9/RN0. I would have thought my chances are better there, but it's also PN1/PZ1. Is there any connection between when Polaris upgrades open and Premium Plus opens? Does the fact that PZ>0 but RN=0 mean they don't plan to open RN? I'd prefer a MUC connection over FRA all else being equal so am wondering whether to make the change.
PN and RN are distant "cousins." Sometimes, they are related (both are used for upgrades to a higher cabin), but most of times, they are strangers to each other.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Haha so we would actually be worse off on that flight. according to an agent I talked to maybe a week ago, there's roughly 12 GS on the waitlist for that one followed by 5 1Ks on O fares so me and my dad would end up at 18 and 19 on the waitlist.
This is correct only if the 12 GS are all on Premier Economy. All GSs on Y would be behind the five 1Ks on O. If the GSs are all on Y, then you guys could be 6th and 7th on the WL.

Lovely, just what I was so excited to hear . If this doesn't clear, guess I'll have to figure out how to use/give away 60 pluspoints before 1/31
A relative has about 1000 + points expiring 1/31. He is 1K and looking to get GS with >70K UA spent in 2023.
I wonder if UA will allow extension of the 1/31/24 deadline to 4/30/24, for 80 +Pts, as they used to do with 2 Systemwide certs.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is correct only if the 12 GS are all on Premier Economy. All GSs on Y would be behind the five 1Ks on O.
That is not true. Anyone in Y on a GS instrument is ahead of anyone on a 1K instrument regardless of cabin.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
That is not true. Anyone in Y on a GS instrument is ahead of anyone on a 1K instrument regardless of cabin.
This is the truth, from bitter experience all year 😂

​​​​​​
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...All GSs on Y would be behind the five 1Ks on O....
The GS are waiting for PN, which will open and fill seats with PN waitees before any PZ opens. The 5 1Ks are waiting for PZ, unless their upgrade request(s) is/are supported by GS instruments. Only in that/those case(s) would a 1K in O trump a GS in Y.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, PanAmWT and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:43 pm

You are right. I forgot the 1Ks most likely are using 1K instruments.
I was based on my experience sponsoring my low-level elite family members. I forgot that my instruments are GS.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.