Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: CM Presidential/AV Silver/WOH Globalist/Bonvoy Platinum/IHG Platinum Elite
Upgrade chance ORD-BCN and BRU-EWR in May 24

Hi! What are the odds of clearing upgrades (PZ>0) in May 2024,
1) ORD-BCN a Saturday
2) BRU-EWR a Saturday

It would be for me and my partner therefore 2 upgrades on each flight.

Context: I have no status with United, only Presidential with Copa Airlines (Star Alliance Gold). Copa hands instant upgrade certificates that work on United as long as there is PZ availability.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I am just able to see the WLs of my Sunday flight on United App. It says “Polaris cabin is full.” When I search my flight, the expert mode says “J9 C9 D7 Z5 P4 O1.” Premium Plus cabin has one seat open on seat map. Polaris cabin has 11 seats not selected.
Polaris is blocked due to oversold in the back
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UAFAM
It is very unlikely, based upon the fare class availability shown below (IAH-GIG on Dec. 24).
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D6
  • Z4
  • ZN4
  • P3
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • O1
  • ON1
  • A0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L6
  • K4
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X5
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am just able to see the WLs of my Sunday flight on United App. It says “Polaris cabin is full.” When I search my flight, the expert mode says “J9 C9 D7 Z5 P4 O1.” Premium Plus cabin has one seat open on seat map. Polaris cabin has 11 seats not selected. Do you trust United App more than “expert mode?” What is really going on on my flight? Any guess?
Trust Expert Mode. The flight status page has been showing weird things off and on for a while now. They’re obviously not selling 9+ additional seats into a full cabin.
PanAmWT and Kmxu like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I am just able to see the WLs of my Sunday flight on United App. It says “Polaris cabin is full.” When I search my flight, the expert mode says “J9 C9 D7 Z5 P4 O1.” Premium Plus cabin has one seat open on seat map. Polaris cabin has 11 seats not selected. Do you trust United App more than “expert mode?” What is really going on on my flight? Any guess?

Normally, I trust the App more than united.com. For my flight, these two agree with each other. So, I guess that the WLs now mirror each other between the website and App.
Originally Posted by UAFAM
It is very unlikely, based upon the fare class availability shown below (IAH-GIG on Dec. 24).
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D6
  • Z4
  • ZN4
  • P3
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • O1
  • ON1
  • A0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L6
  • K4
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X5
Originally Posted by jsloan
Trust Expert Mode. The flight status page has been showing weird things off and on for a while now. They’re obviously not selling 9+ additional seats into a full cabin.
this has been happening to a few flights for me and my friends now - previously seeing 56/60 but J8 and currently seeing Full but also at J1. It's showing more seats booked than the actual number. I would think it's showing how many times the cabin has been full without decreasing the booked number after pax has changed/canceled their flight
Kmxu and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by leftysauce
this has been happening to a few flights for me and my friends now - previously seeing 56/60 but J8 and currently seeing Full but also at J1. It's showing more seats booked than the actual number. I would think it's showing how many times the cabin has been full without decreasing the booked number after pax has changed/canceled their flight
When I started monitoring the Polaris WL early this week, there were 12 seats available on united.com. The WL was not changed at all in the past three days. A few seats were assigned, however. It was P9 and now P3. But I cannot imagine a swing of bookings for 12 seats. It is a mystery until UA clears the WL in the next 24 hours. Keep my fingers crossed.

Add: After a good night of sleep for me, the App now shows 19 booked😀😀

Add2: Upgrades were cleared. PZ2 appeared at T-40 h and I grabbed them in order to get the last two window seats on B763. It would be cleared anyway if I waited.

Last edited by Kmxu; Dec 24, 2023 at 5:07 am
Old Dec 22, 2023, 8:49 am

Are RN and PZ availability related?

Am flying back from Europe next week connecting in MUC and have a waitlisted upgrade to Premium Plus, but I see low chances (down to R0 now), so I looked at changing my connection to FRA, which is at R9/RN0. I would have thought my chances are better there, but it's also PN1/PZ1. Is there any connection between when Polaris upgrades open and Premium Plus opens? Does the fact that PZ>0 but RN=0 mean they don't plan to open RN? I'd prefer a MUC connection over FRA all else being equal so am wondering whether to make the change.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wizna5j3
Is there any connection between when Polaris upgrades open and Premium Plus opens?
No.

Does the fact that PZ>0 but RN=0 mean they don't plan to open RN?
No.

RN is a fickle beast, because UA is often willing to oversell the PE cabin -- sometimes even with an R fare -- if there are seats available in J for upgraders to take. In general, the best information you have is the number of R seats. The only real data you can glean from the J cabin is that if you see something like J3 O3, PE is probably oversold and you're probably hoping they get some cancellations, or, at least, that there are more upgraders from PE to J than there are oversold seats in PE.

With PZ1, personally, I'd switch to that flight and upgrade to Polaris instead of PE, but that's just me.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Dec 22, 2023 at 9:29 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:06 am

Am flying back from Europe next week connecting in MUC and have a waitlisted upgrade to Premium Plus, but I see low chances (down to R0 now), so I looked at changing my connection to FRA, which is at R9/RN0. I would have thought my chances are better there, but it's also PN1/PZ1. Is there any connection between when Polaris upgrades open and Premium Plus opens? Does the fact that PZ>0 but RN=0 mean they don't plan to open RN? I'd prefer a MUC connection over FRA all else being equal so am wondering whether to make the change.
R9 is good news if you’re waiting for RN. Especially if the flight is happening soon. I would say chances are good if PZ is open since that means there must not even be a Polaris waitlist (assuming PZ has been there for over a day).
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:13 am

Np.
With PZ1, personally, I'd switch to that flight and upgrade to Polaris instead of PE, but that's just me.
Ha - me too, but alas, not enough PP left this year.

Originally Posted by Travelo
R9 is good news if you’re waiting for RN. Especially if the flight is happening soon. I would say chances are good if PZ is open since that means there must not even be a Polaris waitlist (assuming PZ has been there for over a day).
Interesting. Guess I was thinking about this backwards ("if even PZ is open then they really must not want to open RN").
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha - me too, but alas, not enough PP left this year.
If I were out of PlusPoints, I'd use Miles+Copay, unless I were also out of miles.

Interesting. Guess I was thinking about this backwards ("if even PZ is open then they really must not want to open RN").
They're mostly independent. UA tends to be stingy with RN space mostly because they've found that there's more demand for PE than the cabin size allows. It's possible for there to be empty J seats, the PE cabin to be full, and for you to die on the waitlist if there aren't enough people upgrading out of the PE cabin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
If I were out of PlusPoints, I'd use Miles+Copay, unless I were also out of miles.
Even for a day flight?
Old Dec 22, 2023, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gusd
Even for a day flight?
Me. personally? Yes. I tend to sleep in both directions, at least for a bit westbound. But I don't mean to spend your money for you.
SPN Lifer and gusd like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
TPE-SFO 1/1 12:45pm flight

7 seats left for sale and currently #5 and #6 as 1Ks on A fare. How we feeling? I'm feeling battlefield to no upgrade but hoping for better.
Flight is currently J7 C7 D7 Z6 ZN6 P4 PN0 PZ0
Old Dec 23, 2023, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
TPE-SFO 1/1 12:45pm flight

7 seats left for sale and currently #5 and #6 as 1Ks on A fare. How we feeling? I'm feeling battlefield to no upgrade but hoping for better.
Flight is currently J7 C7 D7 Z6 ZN6 P4 PN0 PZ0
I agree with your assessment. They normally hold those last few until the very end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.