Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by wh333
So if my position on the waitlist is 2 and expert mode shows J7, then it's still possible to get the upgrade even if flight status shows 59 booked in Polaris (777-300er)
Here’s a quick test. Try to book 2 J on that flight and see if it tells you that you can. Of course it could mean they’re overselling too so raise the number a bit to be safe if you want.
Michael Convente likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by wh333
So if my position on the waitlist is 2 and expert mode shows J7, then it's still possible to get the upgrade even if flight status shows 59 booked in Polaris (777-300er)
my flight status page has corrected itself to align with the fare bucket availability in expert mode. not sure when exactly this happened. maybe t-48
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Travelo
Here’s a quick test. Try to book 2 J on that flight and see if it tells you that you can. Of course it could mean they’re overselling too so raise the number a bit to be safe if you want.
Got it. Was able to get a dummy booking for 6. Not sure how willing UA is to oversell HKG-SFO.

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
my flight status page has corrected itself to align with the fare bucket availability in expert mode. not sure when exactly this happened. maybe t-48
Got it. Maybe the incorrect details shown in "My Flight Status" is a consequence of the hackery needed to see the waitlist
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Repooc17
R9 (outbound) and R8 (return), so looking good as of now! See my PM. Most people like aisle for (ultra) long hauls, so windows may be a possibility. I am also pro window.

Good luck!
jsloan

I just quickly checked and it seems like only the middle section of the PY cabin for the inbound still has seats. Doesn't look like I'll be able to sit by the window on my UA862 HKG-SFO flight.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
jsloan

I just quickly checked and it seems like only the middle section of the PY cabin for the inbound still has seats. Doesn't look like I'll be able to sit by the window on my UA862 HKG-SFO flight.
There can be a lot of seat churn in the days before departure. For example, someone in O window seat may clear upgrade to J, freeing it up. It is worth it to check frequently for a possible opening. Good luck on clearing.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Chance of upgrade to Polaris

I am curious to get the opinions from the experts of this forum on whether my chance to be upgraded to Polaris is optimistic?

January 23 (6 days from today)UA 869 SFO to HKGBoeing 777-200United Polaris business

Available fare classes 9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PNO PZO INO 10 09 ON9 A9 R9 RNO Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 XN9 X9

Just talked to an agent, I am on 4th of the waitlist, the 3 other passengers in front of me are all using P.P. She said at this moment 21 seats are sold out of 50 Polaris seats.

I am a General Member, booked A fare Premium Plus (currently 5 seats are booked out of 24 seats), a very generous and kind Flyertalk UA 1K member applied PP for me.

With the current scenario do you think they will clear the upgrade list at T48 or T24? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
There can be a lot of seat churn in the days before departure. For example, someone in O window seat may clear upgrade to J, freeing it up. It is worth it to check frequently for a possible opening. Good luck on clearing.
What good will checking do for me? Can I manually select the seat or UA's system will automatically put me in an available seat?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Looks like I may be out of luck getting an upgrade on IAH-FRA on the 20th. Waitlisted when I booked, there were a good number of seats open. As typically happens, lots of close in bookings. Stranger things have happened, but I'm not holding my breath this time. The reeurn on the 27th (FRA-IAH) may come through last minute and might have a better chgance of clearing. Maybe.

edit: And IAH-FRA will be my MM flight. As long as the seat next to me stays empty...
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What good will checking do for me? Can I manually select the seat or UA's system will automatically put me in an available seat?
If you clear the upgrade before the gate, you can select any other seat that is open. If you clear at the gate, you'd have to talk to the gate agent to register a preference.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by So Pang
I am curious to get the opinions from the experts of this forum on whether my chance to be upgraded to Polaris is optimistic?

January 23 (6 days from today)UA 869 SFO to HKGBoeing 777-200United Polaris business

Available fare classes 9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PNO PZO INO 10 09 ON9 A9 R9 RNO Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 XN9 X9

Just talked to an agent, I am on 4th of the waitlist, the 3 other passengers in front of me are all using P.P. She said at this moment 21 seats are sold out of 50 Polaris seats.

I am a General Member, booked A fare Premium Plus (currently 5 seats are booked out of 24 seats), a very generous and kind Flyertalk UA 1K member applied PP for me.

With the current scenario do you think they will clear the upgrade list at T48 or T24? Thanks in advance.
With that inventory, I’d expect you to clear. The timing is entirely at UA’s whim, however.

For a long time, I refused to waitlist any long-haul flights. I softened my stance late last year when it became clear that UA had mostly (not entirely) stopped opening upgrade space more than a couple of weeks ahead of travel, even on flights that I knew had a very good chance to clear. So far, the flights that I’ve chosen to waitlist have cleared 2-4 weeks in advance, but others have reported UA holding upgrades to the gate even when it’s obvious many will clear.
SPN Lifer, So Pang and e_chappy like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
I have had good success with EF seat alerts in improving PremPlus seating.
jsloan and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I am on the last EWR-FLL flight tonight. I thought my upgrade chances were zero because F on the 752 was fully booked and I would go out #1 on the upgrade list. As I am on the AirTrain, I notice there are now open seats in F - but I also notice that my outbound flight has disappeared entirely…apparently my corporate travel agency, in rebooking me to an earlier flight in a couple days, canceled my outbound reservation entirely! I call the 1K hotline with only 25 minutes to spare before boarding and manage to not only get rebooked on what is already an overbooked flight, but get my PlusPoints to clear automatically into F with 5 minutes to spare!

I thought this was a great upgrade story - like hitting a half court shot off the backboard. Alas, our first plane had to be taken out of service, and we are sitting on the second plane because they cannot get the bags out of the cargo hold of the broken plane. We are 2.5 hours past the original departure time, and I fear it’s only a matter of time until the crew times out. So this upgrade may not even count at all!
lsquare and tstauck like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have had good success with EF seat alerts in improving PremPlus seating.
EF will help me in my situation?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
EF will help me in my situation?
I was referring to the seat churning and seats becoming available for those looking for better seat assignment.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Update: Got a confirmation that I am upgraded! 5 days prior to departure date

Just received a confirmation that I am upgraded. Thanks again!!

Originally Posted by jsloan
With that inventory, I’d expect you to clear. The timing is entirely at UA’s whim, however.

For a long time, I refused to waitlist any long-haul flights. I softened my stance late last year when it became clear that UA had mostly (not entirely) stopped opening upgrade space more than a couple of weeks ahead of travel, even on flights that I knew had a very good chance to clear. So far, the flights that I’ve chosen to waitlist have cleared 2-4 weeks in advance, but others have reported UA holding upgrades to the gate even when it’s obvious many will clear.

Originally Posted by So Pang

jsloan and tstauck like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.