Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2023, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mariol
On the international leg (only one we care about), J8 JN8
You have to search just for the flight you're interested in, by itself. If this flight were really J8, your odds would be zero, but the J8 is coming from the domestic leg.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You're sitting at the position of waitlist most affected by buy-ups. Call it maybe slightly better 50/50.
You're more optimistic than I am. I'd call it virtually zero if you're at #5/6 with 7 seats left and two days to go.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
...You're more optimistic than I am. I'd call it virtually zero if you're at #5/6 with 7 seats left and two days to go.
I'm counting on parents being too poor from a couple of days at Disney
Old Dec 7, 2023, 12:58 pm

Your chances are so-so w/o status. Upgrades into PremPlus will probably not happen at all until day before flight at the earliest.

Just to clarify -- the upgrade is to Polaris, I was just mentioning PremPlus status for additional context -- fewer people in the mix to be ahead for Polaris.

Side question -- thinking about switching their flight to one through IAH -- there is ON7 -- will it clear into PremPlus while waiting for the Polaris availability?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Just to clarify -- the upgrade is to Polaris, I was just mentioning PremPlus status for additional context -- fewer people in the mix to be ahead for Polaris.

Side question -- thinking about switching their flight to one through IAH -- there is ON7 -- will it clear into PremPlus while waiting for the Polaris availability?
Just search SFO-SYD (UA 829 and 863), LAX-SYD and IAH-SYD flights only. UA 863 has R9. What is the cost for buy-up to Premium Plus? From seatmaps, which are not always accurate, this flight has the best chance among the four flights.
Good luck.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have almost zero chance at Polaris seats SFO-SYD. Trying to get there w/ no status from coach is a tough climb. Everyone with status in coach and PremPlus is ahead of you for requested upgrades. It is what it is. Upgrades are not being processed much more than a day in advance for mo9st "waitees". If they are, GS and 1Ks are getting them. I'll say it again - any upgrades you get w/ no status is likely to be the day before departure at the earliest.

How do you know "fewer people are in the mix" for Polaris"?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 7, 2023 at 1:46 pm
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Just search SFO-SYD (UA 829 and 863), LAX-SYD and IAH-SYD flights only. UA 863 has R9. What is the cost for buy-up to Premium Plus? From seatmaps, which are not always accurate, this flight has the best chance among the four flights.
Good luck.
My question is a little different. I want to know if when you waitlist from Economy to BOTH Premium Plus and Polaris when there is in fact Premium Plus upgrade inventory (ON7) -- will you clear into that prior to T-24 and remain on the waitlist for Polaris -- or will you remain on the waitlist for both until it becomes clear that you will or will not get into Polaris and only then go into Premium Plus (if still available). I can see all the loads and agree 836 has the best chance in a vacuum, but 101 is the only one with ON availability now. And this is a discounted UADiscount fare, so the buyup to PremPlus is not cost-effective when I check it.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:54 pm

You have almost zero chance at Polaris seats SFO-SYD. Trying to get there w/ no status from coach is a tough climb. Everyone with status in coach and PremPlus is ahead of you for requested upgrades. It is what it is. Upgrades are not being processed much more than a day in advance for mo9st "waitees". If they are, GS and 1Ks are getting them. I'll say it again - any upgrades you get w/ no status is likely to be the day before departure at the earliest.

How do you know "fewer people are in the mix" for Polaris"?
The fewer people in PremPlus the fewer people that are automatically ahead on the upgrade list. In any case, I've flown NRSA (as a son of a former pilot) to Sydney a half dozen times. I've never not gotten a business seat (though twice I called an audible and went through MEL). I think these flights very regularly accommodate all revenue passengers and then some.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm counting on parents being too poor from a couple of days at Disney
I’m leaning on hope. I had a very similar event on last month SFO-MCO redeye. I was like #5 with like 7 seats left. It cleared like t-24. No promises but economy plus is almost empty which is a little bit of a positive sign. Not much I do agree.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:58 pm

Similar question here - Bought Q class, Economy for IAH-EZE. used PQPs shows 25ish open on the seat map but not 100% sure when it would clear, flight is on the 13th of December. Thoughts? I'm 1K
P.S. first post, go easy on me :-)
Old Dec 7, 2023, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My question is a little different. I want to know if when you waitlist from Economy to BOTH Premium Plus and Polaris when there is in fact Premium Plus upgrade inventory (ON7) -- will you clear into that prior to T-24 and remain on the waitlist for Polaris
If you waitlist for Premium Plus, you will clear into Premium Plus when / if Premium Plus upgrade inventory opens -- but that's RN, not ON. ON is award inventory, but not upgrade inventory.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fewer people in PremPlus the fewer people that are automatically ahead on the upgrade list. In any case, I've flown NRSA (as a son of a former pilot) to Sydney a half dozen times. I've never not gotten a business seat (though twice I called an audible and went through MEL). I think these flights very regularly accommodate all revenue passengers and then some.
Actually, looking at upgrades next couple of days loads, you could be right.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 7:54 am

Hi! I'm hoping to fly SFO-SIN on January 29, 30, or 31. I am 1K with PP. I've been checking PZ avails and it seems there are a lot for this route in the end of Dec. Does anyone know if they've been opening up PZ space in the month of travel? For example, if I book SFO-SIN in early Jan, will I see a lot more PZ avails when it's within the month? Does anyone have any other tips? Also, if there's PZ confirmable space and I use PP and then have to change my travel, do I get the PP back or do they function like Skip Waitlist PP and are not refundable? Thanks so much for any advice.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elib
Hi! I'm hoping to fly SFO-SIN on January 29, 30, or 31. I am 1K with PP. I've been checking PZ avails and it seems there are a lot for this route in the end of Dec. Does anyone know if they've been opening up PZ space in the month of travel? For example, if I book SFO-SIN in early Jan, will I see a lot more PZ avails when it's within the month? Does anyone have any other tips? Also, if there's PZ confirmable space and I use PP and then have to change my travel, do I get the PP back or do they function like Skip Waitlist PP and are not refundable? Thanks so much for any advice.
Welcome to flyertalk!

SFO-SIN is one of the most difficult routes to clear. If they are far behind on sales, they may open PZ, but don't count on it happening. If you do manage to confirm PZ and then change the flight, you will get the pluspoints back.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Welcome to flyertalk!

SFO-SIN is one of the most difficult routes to clear. If they are far behind on sales, they may open PZ, but don't count on it happening. If you do manage to confirm PZ and then change the flight, you will get the pluspoints back.
Thank you for the response! I'm seeing tons of PZ avails on the SFO-SIN routes in December, though. Is that just bc it's not a popular December destination? Or do you think it's difficult to clear always and December is a fluke? Thanks again.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elib
Thank you for the response! I'm seeing tons of PZ avails on the SFO-SIN routes in December, though. Is that just bc it's not a popular December destination? Or do you think it's difficult to clear always and December is a fluke? Thanks again.
I see no PZ availability from SFO to SIN in December. I see a few days' worth from SIN to SFO, just prior to Christmas, likely because few business travelers are coming to the US for Christmas.

SIN-SFO and vv almost never have advance PZ. UA tries to sell the seats all the way to departure, and it's a challenging route to clear because absolutely everyone with status will use their PlusPoints on that flight -- it's not like there's a longer route to save them for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.