Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2023, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
After the checkin cutoff, at the convenience of the gate agent.
jsloan and big V like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd expect between T-30 minutes and when they close the door. Less than 50 percent chance it clears.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Hey all,

Around T minus 1'45, Gate agent said the system would automatically process the u/g and to refresh my boarding pass.

Got a text notification that I cleared 1'05 before wheels up, about 15 min before boarding.

This battlefield u/g is especially sweet, given my initial flight was cancelled and was rerouted. Total bonus.

May the upgrade odds be ever in your favor!
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:08 pm

Hi All, first time using plus points (I let most of mine expire because there never seemed to be a good chance of using them.)

Flying UA 860 GRU-IAD on Dec 21
Boeing 767-400ER, 33 business class seats, 18 still open.
My status is Platinum, I'm flying on a Premium Economy Q class fare.
Expert mode fare classes show: J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O9 ON9 A9 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W8 S3 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0

Would appreciate your expert opinion of my chances... I have other options for a better flight in economy class, so if my chances are really low I might cancel this ticket and buy a different one.

Thank you
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by big V
Hey all,

Around T minus 1'45, Gate agent said the system would automatically process the u/g and to refresh my boarding pass.

Got a text notification that I cleared 1'05 before wheels up, about 15 min before boarding.

This battlefield u/g is especially sweet, given my initial flight was cancelled and was rerouted. Total bonus.

May the upgrade odds be ever in your favor!
FYI this isn’t considered a battlefield upgrade since it didn’t occur inside the aircraft.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelo
FYI this isn’t considered a battlefield upgrade since it didn’t occur inside the aircraft.
It occurred just prior to boarding. Have you seen UA's boarding areas? That counts as battlefield!
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:33 pm

Been watching my flight like a hawk. Currently on a two-person PNR #1 and #2 on the list with GS instrument. 2x PN opened the day before my flight yesterday and suddenly today...drum role...x1 PN opened. Now I'm wondering if I should split the PNR or wait to get skipped by #3, a single flyer also on GS instrument.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:00 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
SFO - TPE U/G chances

On UA 853 Dec 10, showing 14 open seats, currently P8PN0PZ0. I am number 5 on the waitlist.

Would appreciate opinions !

Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
It occurred just prior to boarding. Have you seen UA's boarding areas? That counts as battlefield!
Any upgrade cleared within T-36 h is a battle; for example, against buy-ups, new instrument-supported requests, misconnected J pax.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by 1k650
On UA 853 Dec 10, showing 14 open seats, currently P8PN0PZ0. I am number 5 on the waitlist.

Thanks.
50/50, depending upon the balance of number of cancellation, new purchase, and cheap buy ups. Good luck!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Any upgrade cleared within T-36 h is a battle; for example, against buy-ups, new instrument-supported requests, misconnected J pax.
I was going off the online definitions.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Very much so! The state of UA boarding area, especially at hub airports, is an uphill battle. Never mind upgrading, even getting to the scanner requires focus and tenacity.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:30 am

I was going off the online definitions.
FT is a strange world and has a different definition of battleground upgrade.🤪
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by 1k650

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
50/50, depending upon the balance of number of cancellation, new purchase, and cheap buy ups. Good luck!
You are in an exceptional situation with only six people on the J waitlist for the 14 seats. I guess that could be a good sign but I am not sure.

Normally, I would be less optimistic than 50/50. Travel agencies in Chinatown are actively advertising the following (my translation of the content, not word-to-word):

$1000 upgrade from economy to Polaris on UA flight to Taipei! (picture of Polaris seat)
After you purchase the economy ticket, you will be upgraded once the option is open.

Obviously the ad is targeting flyers without PPts or lots of miles. Most of them are not that knowledgeable, so the rumor that "for extra $1000 you can fly UA Polaris" is spreading.

If I were you, I would seriously consider premium economy to move to spot 1 or 2, and to prepare to sit in PE if J does not clear.
SPN Lifer and Kmxu like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Why do they torture us? 50 seats/23 booked 2 days out

The chances of not clearing approach zero, I get that... UA 869 SFO-HKG 12/7. 50 Polaris seats, only 23 booked, and I've seen nothing change in the waitlist in the past 30 hours. Sitting at #4 & 5. Only reason it matters is that there are 3 sets left of center seats parallel, best for couple traveling together. Just seems odd they don't allocate upgrades for Plat yet.

There are two flights daily SFO-HKG, both lightly loaded. The later flight does have one allocated upgrade (maybe the only GS between the two flights?). Similar situation on day earlier flight. One Polaris upgrade allocated, 50 total seats, 37 booked.

Nothing to see here, move along...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.