Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My point was exactly this a "pretty good chance" is not a guarantee and the PremPlus buyup guarantees not cattle class economy. While some (much younger than I) are willing to rough it for 11+ hour flights in economy, I am not. And at $25 / hour upgrade, that is about as cheap as you are likely to get PremPlus.
It is all about your risk tolerance. I, like you, can't sit in E for anywhere near 11 hrs. For me the PremPlus seat was at least adequate but my wife "will never do it again". However, it is frustrating not having your PPs clear and expire worthless as they have all to often.
Airportbeer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:44 am

Getting close to 2 weeks out on a SFO-PVG flight, upgrading from economy G as Gold.

Relevant fare class availability ...P9...R9...G5 XN5
54/60 business seats are unselected, as are 8 free in PE.

So this is looking wide open? Unless there's a 40+ economy Platinum+ members looking to upgrade (assuming everyone in PE is moving up as well)
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by rewqion
Getting close to 2 weeks out on a SFO-PVG flight, upgrading from economy G as Gold.

Relevant fare class availability ...P9...R9...G5 XN5
54/60 business seats are unselected, as are 8 free in PE.

So this is looking wide open? Unless there's a 40+ economy Platinum+ members looking to upgrade (assuming everyone in PE is moving up as well)
Open seats on a seat map are a horrible indicator of true availability. This is especially true on flights to/from Asia where (in general) people from that part of the world usually don't select seats during booking. However, with P9R9 I'd say you're looking very good.

-RM
Old Nov 5, 2023, 9:38 pm

Hi All, wanted to get some advice on a March SNA-SFO-ICN roundtrip and chances to upgrade. I am 1K and will be 1K next year. I booked Economy (L) and was given the cash upgrade option to Premium Plus:
SFO-ICN $1018 - Passed on this
ICN-SFO $400 - I bought this and am waitlisted for Polaris with PP with fingers crossed to get an upgrade.

I am considering request MUA to waitlist SNA-SFO-ICN to First/Polaris for 30k miles/$600 copay.

Do you think I should just watch the SFO-ICN Premium Plus cash upgrade option and try for a PP upgrade or stick with the MUA upgrade waitlist?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by SimplySanrio; Nov 5, 2023 at 9:57 pm
Old Nov 7, 2023, 1:54 pm

LAX-LHR
Three days out. Booked in L. Number 3 and 4 on the business upgrade list. Opinions on our chances? Relatively new to the game. Feels tight to me. Was J9 yesterday morning.
  • J6 JN6 C5 D4 Z3 ZN3 P3 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O2 ON2 A2 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 XN9 X9

Last edited by mswheeler; Nov 7, 2023 at 2:19 pm
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by mswheeler
Three days out. Booked in L. Number 3 and 4 on the business upgrade list. Opinions on our chances? Relatively new to the game. Feels tight to me. Was J9 yesterday morning.
  • J6 JN6 C5 D4 Z3 ZN3 P3 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O2 ON2 A2 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 XN9 X9
What's the origin/destination? The number of late-in bookings depends a lot on route.
mswheeler likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by SimplySanrio
Hi All, wanted to get some advice on a March SNA-SFO-ICN roundtrip and chances to upgrade. I am 1K and will be 1K next year. I booked Economy (L) and was given the cash upgrade option to Premium Plus:
SFO-ICN $1018 - Passed on this
ICN-SFO $400 - I bought this and am waitlisted for Polaris with PP with fingers crossed to get an upgrade.

I am considering request MUA to waitlist SNA-SFO-ICN to First/Polaris for 30k miles/$600 copay.

Do you think I should just watch the SFO-ICN Premium Plus cash upgrade option and try for a PP upgrade or stick with the MUA upgrade waitlist?

Thanks for any advice!

This far out, I doubt your position on the waitlist will be affected by time of request, so there is no harm in waiting to see if the price for R comes down.
SimplySanrio likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mswheeler
LAX-LHR
I'd say your chances aren't great.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:20 am

Folks, I'm scheduled to depart from EWR - JNB on UA 188 on Monday, 11/13.
I bought a W economy ticket and my relative was kind enough to apply her points for a Polaris upgrade.
currently, 40% of business seats are available but my upgrade has not gone through.
what additional checks can I do to gauge upgrade success (I am not sure how to check my waitlist number or if there's PZ availability (not sure what PZ stands for))
It's a 14.5hr flight so....getting anxious.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by gordita
Folks, I'm scheduled to depart from EWR - JNB on UA 188 on Monday, 11/13.
I bought a W economy ticket and my relative was kind enough to apply her points for a Polaris upgrade.
currently, 40% of business seats are available but my upgrade has not gone through.
what additional checks can I do to gauge upgrade success (I am not sure how to check my waitlist number or if there's PZ availability (not sure what PZ stands for))
It's a 14.5hr flight so....getting anxious.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Flight is PZ=0 (upgrade bucket) and PN=0 (Global Services upgrade bucket) but P9 with 15+ seats still for sale. Your chances of clearing are very high unless impacted by cancellations.

I do this route frequently, and find United often does a sweep up the upgrade list 3-4 days prior to departure and again around 2 days....and then most everything will go down to the gate.

My recommendation would be to keep watching "Flight Status" in the app, and around 60-72 hrs prior to departure the upgrade list will start to show, along with how many seats are left. Good luck!
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Flight is PZ=0 (upgrade bucket) and PN=0 (Global Services upgrade bucket) but P9 with 15+ seats still for sale. Your chances of clearing are very high unless impacted by cancellations.

I do this route frequently, and find United often does a sweep up the upgrade list 3-4 days prior to departure and again around 2 days....and then most everything will go down to the gate.

My recommendation would be to keep watching "Flight Status" in the app, and around 60-72 hrs prior to departure the upgrade list will start to show, along with how many seats are left. Good luck!
If OP is the impatient type and not willing to call UA, OP can change the date to the travel date on the phone, open united.com and check flight status and upgrade waiting list.
Good luck.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If OP is the impatient type and not willing to call UA, OP can change the date to the travel date on the phone, open united.com and check flight status and upgrade waiting list.
Good luck.
Tried this tip, and while it allows me to "see" the flight the Standby and Upgrade lists are greyed out.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:43 am

I'm on a short haul to EWR, then a long haul international flight (SAT-EWR). I've requested upgrade for international flight (40pts EWR-DEL). Is it worth the gamble to request on the short haul to EWR as well? Burning 20 points to EWR does not seem worth it.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
"EWR - JNB on UA 188 on Monday, 11/13" is within a week. It should work unless your travel date is beyond 14 Nov..
Old Nov 8, 2023, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kmxu
"EWR - JNB on UA 188 on Monday, 11/13" is within a week. It should work unless your travel date is beyond 14 Nov..
But not on the app, just the website.
VRFast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.