Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 5, 20, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Then I offer a test of your 1K-hood - apply your PPs on 8:30 am LAX-IAD or SFO-IAD 788 flights (and still making the 5:30-ish connect to EWR) and/or the 6:15 pm IAD-LAX 788 (or 5:55 pm IAD-SFO) returns.

If you do make the jump into domestic F/J, you'll get a snack box. If you don't, E+ will be empty (but no snack box).

David
Each time I've checked, the SFO/LAX-IAD flights on the 788/789 appear to be just as tough an upgrade as the p.s. flights. Even looking out a week, there's only a few seats left for sale.

Wish that they'd put some of the 28 J 752s back in the rotation, but I suppose that won't happen until more paid-J demand returns.
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by econ View Post
Each time I've checked, the SFO/LAX-IAD flights on the 788/789 appear to be just as tough an upgrade as the p.s. flights. Even looking out a week, there's only a few seats left for sale.

Wish that they'd put some of the 28 J 752s back in the rotation, but I suppose that won't happen until more paid-J demand returns.
I flew a Sat LAX-IAD 8:45am flight back in mid Sept and it was full up front a few days in advance. As a Gold, I think I died around #11 on the UG list.

My brother flew SFO - IAD that same morning and his flight was full up front about 1.5 weeks in advance.
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Can report the same experience on the morning LAX-IAD and evening IAD-LAX. I paid for F both ways, but there were dozens on the upgrade list, and on one or both flights not a single one cleared.
jjmoore and tstauck like this.
Old Oct 6, 20, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Can report the same experience on the morning LAX-IAD and evening IAD-LAX. I paid for F both ways, but there were dozens on the upgrade list, and on one or both flights not a single one cleared.
It appears that the premium cabin market is back in force. I have watched some flights where PN space never even opened up (may have been some instant clears well ahead of time, but I think highly unlikely based on loads weeks in advance of departure).

I have been flying a lot of eastbound routes on Monday and westbound routs on Friday... so I'm not choosing easy days to clear upgrades.
Old Oct 8, 20, 10:03 am

Programs: MR Platinum Premier
Has anyone noticed that they're just not clearing upgrades at the gate any longer, even if there are open seats? I flew CMH-DEN on Monday evening and the upgrade list said that there was an open/unbooked seat up front, but the gate agent never cleared anyone from the upgrade list. The seat map showed no open first class seats, but there were multiple open seats once the doors were closed, yet no one ended up being cleared. Is this just a social distancing measure or an oversight on the part of the gate agent?
Old Oct 8, 20, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GTJoe View Post
Has anyone noticed that they're just not clearing upgrades at the gate any longer, even if there are open seats? I flew CMH-DEN on Monday evening and the upgrade list said that there was an open/unbooked seat up front, but the gate agent never cleared anyone from the upgrade list. The seat map showed no open first class seats, but there were multiple open seats once the doors were closed, yet no one ended up being cleared. Is this just a social distancing measure or an oversight on the part of the gate agent?
Some reports indicate UA will not upgrade passengers into some front row seats as a weak attempt at social distancing for the crew. They apparently will sell them, though. Specific seats blocked from upgrades vary with aircraft.
Old Oct 8, 20, 10:12 am

Which seats / what aircraft?
Old Oct 8, 20, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Which seats / what aircraft?
Is UA still blocking 1B/E?

David
Old Oct 8, 20, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Indeed, this discussion may fit better there.
Old Oct 8, 20, 10:28 am

Programs: MR Platinum Premier
Deleted. As DELee stated, there is another thread about this elsewhere. My mistake.

Last edited by GTJoe; Oct 8, 20 at 10:30 am Reason: Correction.
Old Oct 8, 20, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A319. Seats 1B and 1E, but there may have been more that were not filled.
For that a/c, those seats are consistent with what others have observed relative to blocking from upgrades. On 737s, 1EF are blocked.
Old Nov 27, 20, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA
asking for a frriend's son - What are the chances of Paid upgrade clearing on UA 867 flying out of SFO to DEL on December 1st 2020. There are currently 18 seats showing in Polaris cabin and it has been between 18 to 20 for last 7-8 days.

Flight booked for $670

upgrade requested using 35,000 miles and around $450 co pay.

Requested via twitter support and was told, thee passenger is on priority wait-list.

Business class seats are showing available for $1800, happy to just cancel upgrade request and pay $1200 or so to gete upgraded, if chances are slim.

Edit - Passenger is young male in 20s and don't mind flying coach if for some reason, chances goes from high to not clearing at all
Old Nov 30, 20, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by long_haul_life View Post
asking for a frriend's son - What are the chances of Paid upgrade clearing on UA 867 flying out of SFO to DEL on December 1st 2020. There are currently 18 seats showing in Polaris cabin and it has been between 18 to 20 for last 7-8 days.

Flight booked for $670

upgrade requested using 35,000 miles and around $450 co pay.

Requested via twitter support and was told, thee passenger is on priority wait-list.

Business class seats are showing available for $1800, happy to just cancel upgrade request and pay $1200 or so to gete upgraded, if chances are slim.

Edit - Passenger is young male in 20s and don't mind flying coach if for some reason, chances goes from high to not clearing at all
Looks like good odds in my opinion. Flight status showing as 17 available seats and 5 on the standby list for upgrades. Have you checked where he is on the list?
Old Dec 6, 20, 12:35 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Looks like good odds in my opinion. Flight status showing as 17 available seats and 5 on the standby list for upgrades. Have you checked where he is on the list?
His upgrade got cleared, just real quick. How do i check the standby list for upgrades?
Old Dec 6, 20, 10:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by long_haul_life View Post
His upgrade got cleared, just real quick. How do i check the standby list for upgrades?
It is a option when using UA's Flight Status (up to 3 days in advance of departure, modifying your device clock can allow earlier viewing)

Search this Thread