Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
LAX-SYD a few weeks ago they proactively offered PJs. The order seemed a little random so I suspect they were doing it in some from of status order (there were a number of pass riders/standby passengers in Polaris, so I think they wanted to make sure the paying passengers got them first).

SYD-SFO a few days ago no proactive offering. Asked for some after dinner, only to be told they had run out of the S/M size and only had the L/XL available. Towards the end of the flight I saw a huge "Amenity Kits" bag full of them sitting on one of the unused business seats, including S/M.

It really is amazing how much variability there is between Polaris cabin crews... (This was only one of the difference between the two flights - almost all of it coming down to an excellent v's mediocre crew).
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Are they still handing them our pajamas in Polaris these days?
PJs were available for SFO-TPE last week.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
UA should add Polaris pajama sizes to their pre-flight menu order.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gmt4
I believe they were dark gray with the united logo on the front? Saw her as I was in the galley area waiting for the lavatory. Didn't think much else of it at the time.

They did have slippers placed at each seat.
Seems like definitely the old style, then — so brought on board.

I'm still bemused by / slightly admiring of the fellow passenger I saw once boarding while already wearing his United PJs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I notied the second generation of pajamas (big oversigzed Polaris logo on the shirt back and darker pants) came with pockets in the pants now (as of last week). When they first came out, there were no pockets.

This is a welcome change. I can put my phone in the pants' pocket when wearting them at home.
SPN Lifer, SS255, uanj and 4 others like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Mar 28, 2022 at 8:12 am
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I notied the second generation of pajamas (big oversigzed Polaris logo on the shirt back and darker pants) came with pockets in the pants now (as of last week). When they first came out, there were no pockets.

This is a welcome change. I can put my phone in the pants' pocket when wearting them at home.
how about a drawstring? The original dark Gen 1 PJs had them (I still rotate them in my WFH wardrobe)
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
how about a drawstring? The original dark Gen 1 PJs had them (I still rotate them in my WFH wardrobe)
Yes, draw string returns!!
uastarflyer and DrVC like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
PJs were available for SFO-TPE last week.
I flew SFO-TPE last week and they were not proactively offered. I'm not sure though if they were available if I had asked as my old standby LH F pj's I've used for years did the job.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
SFO-ICN April 2 PJ's proactively offered.

ICN-SFO April 13 No PJ's offered. On a red-eye. But not a problem for me as I had the bottoms from previous travels. (I usually bring them with me on most long-haul flights.)
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
SFO Syd..2 weeks ago.. proactively offered, and surprised by same on return Syd SFO..in my experience the daytime departures don't often have them..
Old May 5, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just a report, LAX-SYD, PJ's handed out. SYD-LAX, I had to ask for them. Well, when I asked, the FA said, "they'll be handing them out in a minute". A minute later, a FA came by with a single PJ.
LAX-SYD was a late night departure, SYD-LAX was a morning departure. I would think they have them but sometimes you just have to ask.

(Oh BTW, on SYD-LAX, when I asked for a mattress pad, the FA brought it over and "whispered" to me "because of covid we still only providing on request". I'm thinking "wasn't it always only on request?" he also blamed the quality of the food on COVID (Australia's covid rules). Maybe that's what they're told to say.)

Anyways, PJ bottoms as reported, drawstring and pockets, nice!. I wish the tops were like before, I thought they looked really nice before, now its just looks "cheap". I still have a bunch of the old ones from before, but I've since lost about 100lb and even back them, they were a little big, now its like wearing a garbage bag.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Outbound to Europe

I have seen several photos here and on FB which has the "new" Polaris printed menu "Outbound to Europe" and in a small box it says you can request Pajamas. Is this a change in policy, given most flights to Europe from the East Coast are nowhere near that length?

Curious if people who have seen this menu onboard have asked for pjs and what the response was... you would think if it's listed on the menu, it should be available.

Last edited by FoxFlyer; May 18, 2022 at 12:08 pm
Old May 18, 2022, 1:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
I have seen several photos here and on FB which has the "new" Polaris printed menu "Outbound to Europe" and in a small box it says you can request Pajamas. Is this a change in policy, given most flights to Europe from the East Coast are nowhere near that length? ...
The FT pics was SFO-FRA, were any of the others from the East Coast?
Even SFO-FRA was under the traditional 24 hour roundtrip metric.
I would not expect East Coast - Europe flights to have PJs (at best might be a later night departure)
Old May 18, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The FT pics was SFO-FRA, were any of the others from the East Coast?
Even SFO-FRA was under the traditional 24 hour roundtrip metric.
I would not expect East Coast - Europe flights to have PJs (at best might be a later night departure)
Didn't United state at one point in time some years ago that a flight over 10 hours would be eligible for PJ handouts??

SFO-FRA is said to be about 11 hours...
Old May 18, 2022, 1:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Didn't United state at one point in time some years ago that a flight over 10 hours would be eligible for PJ handouts??

SFO-FRA is said to be about 11 hours...
No, only aware of the 24 hour RT threshold
This thread's wiki and here listed the previously qualifying PJ flights.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 18, 2022 at 1:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.