Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
SFO-LHR 12 Oct, UA930, all worked well. Only 1 GS came forward. Very odd.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
On UA 302 Thursday night (SFO-IAD on a 787), it was:
  1. Pax w/ disabilities
  2. Mr. xxxxxxx
  3. Uniformed military
  4. GS
  5. Families with kids under 2
  6. 1K
  7. Group 1
I wasn't sure why they called up a specific pax; I figured there was no way there was only 1 GS on a widebody SFO-IAD, and they went to military before GS anyway.

There seems to be little consistency on when they call for families with young kids, too.

Last edited by exerda; Oct 13, 2018 at 5:34 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by exerda
  1. Pax w/ disabilities
  2. Mr. xxxxxxx
  3. Uniformed military
  4. GS
  6. 1K
  7. G2
I wasn't sure why they called up a specific pax; I figured there was no way there was only 1 GS on a widebody SFO-IAD, and they went to military before GS anyway.

There seems to be little consistency on when they call for families with young kids, too.
No Group 1?

David
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
MIA-IAH today, A320 totally full ... without taking a breath: those needing more time, military in uniform, GS, family with small children, and 1K.

There we plenty of disabled and families and 1K.

First time in last 3 weeks (over 12 flights) all jumbled into one. Previously plenty of variety in the order, but always pauses between.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
  1. Pax w/ disabilities
  2. Mr. xxxxxxx
  3. Uniformed military
  4. GS
  6. 1K
  7. G2

Family with kids under 2 after GS and before 1K is the correct official order.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
No Group 1?

David
Sorry; typo on my part. G1.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:45 pm

Maybe they knew Mr. XXXXX had a disability / needed more time, but he failed to board when they called disabilities, so they called him by name?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
  1. Pax w/ disabilities
  2. Mr. xxxxxxx
  3. Uniformed military
  4. GS
  6. 1K
  7. Group 1

In some markets (such as BOS and SEA), the GS agent calls up GS pax by name before boarding begins to introduce him/herself. Perhaps it was the case that the GS agent did this mid-boarding to find a "missing" GS pax who had not yet stepped forward.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by wxguy
In some markets (such as BOS and SEA), the GS agent calls up GS pax by name before boarding begins to introduce him/herself. Perhaps it was the case that the GS agent did this mid-boarding to find a "missing" GS pax who had not yet stepped forward.
I just usually look for the gold scarf/tie to get an idea a) if there's at least one GS going to board and b) can then ask how many are expected (and if any of them are on tight connections...)

David
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:54 am

SFO to IAH yesterday went fine. Long group 1 line for the 777hd, but the GA got it right. On the jetway, the purser had all port side aisle Y customers move aside and hold in the jetway while all F cabin and starboard Y passengers proceeded. I was in F, so didn’t see how long they held up boarding or whether it was for operational efficiency or because the port side aisle was blocked for some reason.

IAH to CHS also went fine, but it’s hard to go too far awry when you have no GS, no 1K, 5 BG1 and 2 BG2 customers. I did notice the overhead monitors around the gate now display the correct preboard sequence, so GAs can’t argue that their own made-up way is correct.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by prometa
SFO to IAH yesterday went fine. Long group 1 line for the 777hd, but the GA got it right. On the jetway, the purser had all port side aisle Y customers move aside and hold in the jetway while all F cabin and starboard Y passengers proceeded. I was in F, so didn’t see how long they held up boarding or whether it was for operational efficiency or because the port side aisle was blocked for some reason.

IAH to CHS also went fine, but it’s hard to go too far awry when you have no GS, no 1K, 5 BG1 and 2 BG2 customers. I did notice the overhead monitors around the gate now display the correct preboard sequence, so GAs can’t argue that their own made-up way is correct.

IAH-CHS did FC go out full? Sometimes we have a few empty seats
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
IAH-CHS did FC go out full? Sometimes we have a few empty seats
No, only 7/12 on the E175 (some F passengers boarded after G2 started)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I still don't understand why getting this right is so hard in the USA - in the past week I was on an EVA 773 that boarded full in under 20 minutes, and a SQ A380 that boarded in almost exactly 25 minutes - yes, they had two doors each for boarding, and still pax carried on about the same quantity and size of carry-ons, children, smelly food, and other odds and ends, but the only different seemed to be they didn't stumble onto the plane in a daze, clueless about where they were or what they were suppose to do (hint, put the damn bag in the overhead and sit down). Both EVA and SQ used the same number of groups, but neither had lanes, rather EVA used contractors and staff to herd people into virtual lanes and SQ just seemed to get priority customers through a mass of people waiting at the door without any lines.

Boarding an airplane only seems to need rocket science in the USA.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I still don't understand why getting this right is so hard in the USA - in the past week I was on an EVA 773 that boarded full in under 20 minutes, and a SQ A380 that boarded in almost exactly 25 minutes - yes, they had two doors each for boarding, and still pax carried on about the same quantity and size of carry-ons, children, smelly food, and other odds and ends, but the only different seemed to be they didn't stumble onto the plane in a daze, clueless about where they were or what they were suppose to do (hint, put the damn bag in the overhead and sit down). Both EVA and SQ used the same number of groups, but neither had lanes, rather EVA used contractors and staff to herd people into virtual lanes and SQ just seemed to get priority customers through a mass of people waiting at the door without any lines.

Boarding an airplane only seems to need rocket science in the USA.
Poorly trained GA's and FA's that don't enforce OH stowage rules. On my last TATL I flew KLM, and the FA's were positioned throughout the cabin during the boarding process, ensuring passengers used the correct OH space and helping bins get arranged properly to optimize stowage.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by halls120
Poorly trained GA's and FA's that don't enforce OH stowage rules. On my last TATL I flew KLM, and the FA's were positioned throughout the cabin during the boarding process, ensuring passengers used the correct OH space and helping bins get arranged properly to optimize stowage.
UA's new-and-improved boarding processes might get the passengers on the plane faster and/or in a more orderly fashion, but it is always hindered by the FA's [contractually allowed] unwillingness to help arrange the luggage in the overhead bins.
With United's FAs it seems mostly to be limited to several sweeps of the aircraft much later in the boarding process, whilst scalding anyone who they think might not have arranged their luggage correctly: "This bin needs to be rearranged and the bin door shut, or we can't close the main cabin doors."

The motto appears to be:
"Let everyone fend for themselves, and then yell at them afterward if they did it wrong."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.