Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:31 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by PushingTin
He gave me a 'whatever' look.

IF GS complain, we might get some better implementation.
That's what I got at ORD which really pissed me off. Hence my calling GS on the spot.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
aaaaand just boarded DEN. Called pax needing assistance then 1K! Thought I must have heard her wrong but nope. It was B83, weird small gate with no room for lanes. Just a big cluster F.
I have no idea what happened after I boarded but I could hear the arguing from the jetway. How hard is it to get this right???

Edit to add: Just got this message on flight status: You’re flight was delayed because our boarding process was delayed.

Yup, 12 minutes late because the GA couldn’t read a script

Last edited by chavala; Oct 8, 2018 at 11:20 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Given all the dysfunction at the gates I suggest boarding last. I know this cuts against the grain of a lot of FT'ers but with little to no carry-on, aisle seat or F, just board last. My co-worker has done it for years and I have started doing over the past several years. Hang out in UC having another cocktail and relax. I often just stroll on at last boarding call. I have had GA get a bit miffed when they see me sitting to the side, call last boarding call, and I stroll on.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
Given all the dysfunction at the gates I suggest boarding last....
Boarding last at end of BG1 solves all that. All of the scrum is ahead of that point. BG2 knows where they are. Before BG2 you got DYKWIA 1Ks frantic to be 1st on, some "Premier Access" loons, disabled (and "disabled"), service people, GSs, parents/spawn, other (patient) 1Ks in pre-board area, 1Ks in BG1 line wondering what the heck is going on, Ma and Pa Kettles with their once-in-a-lifetime F tickets, the odd non-UA FFP business F buyer wondering why everyone gets to board ahead of him/her, Plats, Golds puffing out their new BG1 chests - let all of 'em sort it out themselves.

If I have just a backpack, yes, I'll be close to dead last.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 8, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:23 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

????
All the 1Ks still left will essentially qualify as GS if they keep raising the PQD.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nomad420
Given all the dysfunction at the gates I suggest boarding last. I know this cuts against the grain of a lot of FT'ers but with little to no carry-on, aisle seat or F, just board last. My co-worker has done it for years and I have started doing over the past several years. Hang out in UC having another cocktail and relax. I often just stroll on at last boarding call. I have had GA get a bit miffed when they see me sitting to the side, call last boarding call, and I stroll on.
The danger in this is an overzealous GA offloading you early and clearing someone else into your seat, or a seat poacher wanting to sit with their friend/colleague/spouse/child/attractive random person/whatever deciding to plunk themselves into your vacant seat and then you have the stress of getting them ejected.

I prefer to be onboard early so I can put my things away, do my disinfectant wipedown of the seat/table/area, last minute emails/messages etc. So, if only United could train their staff and contractors to do things correctly across the board, consistently, like other airlines, then perhaps we can have a predictable experience.

I do agree that premium customers should really be boarded earlier, and the correct order really is:

Wheelchairs/Unaccompanied
1. GS
2. 1K
3. Premium Cabin
4. Families
5. G1
6. G2
7. G3
8. G4
4. Basic Economy

This way, experienced, faster moving customers are on board first, seated, and out of the way before everyone else with their clutter, car seats, bags, screaming children, stinky sacks of take out, etc etc come on next
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mr8
All the 1Ks still left will essentially qualify as GS if they keep raising the PQD.
It's a long way to $50k at 1K $3k hurdle increase every couple of years - and there's nothing to say UA won't tighten up GS restrictions if things get good.

I think UA sees the huge value in the swath of business travelers that aren't probably going to get to GS-level spending due to the nature of their work, but still can be relied onto cough up the larger chunks of the revenue UA needs. Getting those travelers to commit to UA is the goal of the 1K perks that have been trotted out. To me, E+ at booking and free food/drink in my E+ seat are very appreciated perks as are the upgrade certs (which I can use). The new boarding is sort of a "meh" to me, but to some 1Ks on some routes, it's huge. I think UA is creating a Dr. Evil and Mini-Me with GS and 1K.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
aaaaand just boarded DEN. Called pax needing assistance then 1K! Thought I must have heard her wrong but nope. It was B83, weird small gate with no room for lanes. Just a big cluster F.
I have no idea what happened after I boarded but I could hear the arguing from the jetway. How hard is it to get this right???

Edit to add: Just got this message on flight status: You’re flight was delayed because our boarding process was delayed.

Yup, 12 minutes late because the GA couldn’t read a script
At RDU this morning on the EWR flight they announced GS and 1k together after group 1
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
At RDU this morning on the EWR flight they announced GS and 1k together after group 1
After Group 1? A new low!

It took awhile to get the GS pre boarding done correctly when that was implemented a couple of years ago. They finally got it right after 3 months or so.

How difficult can it be this time around to make the following changes:
1. Move GS ahead of families with children 2 and under.
2. Add 1K after families with children 2 and under.

Simple....and BTW, make sure to pause between groups.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
WIth the future delta still @ >3x, that's a long. long way off

Another way to look at it, PQDs started in 2014 @ $10K for 1Ks, and in 2019 it will be $15K --- so an increase of $1K /year -- 35 more years to GS.
Or 50% / 5 Years -- that would take 20+ years assuming GS does not move.

Neither of these considered inflation adjusting but that just make it further out.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
So, if only United could train their staff and contractors to do things correctly across the board, consistently, like other airlines, then perhaps we can have a predictable experience.
I guess the 211 posts here are consistent boarding policy by Delta

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Not many other big carriers in this country. So I assume AA has perfectly predictable boarding every time.

Southwest is ready and waiting.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Not many other big carriers in this country. So I assume AA has perfectly predictable boarding every time.

Well, in fairness, 211 posts over 15 months versus 1041 in 3 weeks. I still think UA wins the trophy here .
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

I don't fly DL that often, but the times I have, always in F, their boarding process was always consistent, properly communicated and well managed - however since I used the SP lane and boarded early, it's possible that calamity ensued behind me once I was on board which I never saw.

The AA process is also consistent, properly communicated, but with a lack of enforced lanes and signs, ends up being a complete cluster-you-know-what of people in each category shoving forward in a giant wave while those caught behind flail and push their way forward just as the next category is announced and the cycle repeats. As I mentioned in a previous thread some time ago, I flew two AA widebody flights last year where as a nobody in a further down group, I had palpitations just standing there watching the elite and premium cabin people rushing forward through the other groups as if it was final boarding call for the last ship to leave earth before the meteor hits. I've never seen anything like it, and hope to never see such a thing at United. The one thing I learned from the AA experience - get to the front early, and stand your ground until your priority is called, then get ready for some combat to fend off the others lurching forward around you.

In a perfect world, everyone would remain in the gate seating area, sitting in their seats, and only stand up when they are called to board, just like it was when I traveled as a child and everyone was dressed in a jacket for gentleman and a dress for ladies and the sight of someone pushing their way through would be received with gasps of horror and revulsion. Oh well, the good 'ol days, gone but not forgotten.

I will say that most of the time, Alaska Air boarding at SEA is usually well managed without the scrum at the gate, but that is likely also a NW culture thing.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
WIth the future delta still @ >3x, that's a long. long way off

Another way to look at it, PQDs started in 2014 @ $10K for 1Ks, and in 2019 it will be $15K --- so an increase of $1K /year -- 35 more years to GS.
Or 50% / 5 Years -- that would take 20+ years assuming GS does not move.

Neither of these considered inflation adjusting but that just make it further out.
Assuming GS stays the same !! some possibility that the hurdle for that will raise
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

Well, in fairness, 211 posts over 15 months versus 1041 in 3 weeks. I still think UA wins the trophy here .
The DL folks are busy trying to figure out if the agent that day will play 'you board you lose' and remove them from the upgrade list when they board.

Originally Posted by bocastephen

In a perfect world, everyone would remain in the gate seating area, sitting in their seats, and only stand up when they are called to board, just like it was when I traveled as a child and everyone was dressed in a jacket for gentleman and a dress for ladies and the sight of someone pushing their way through would be received with gasps of horror and revulsion. Oh well, the good 'ol days, gone but not forgotten.
Here they are - memories of Xmas 1985 at PIT. Plenty of milling around at the gate but what's missing....

Rollaboard bags!! The end of civility in domestic air travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.