Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
My reviews so far on this fiasco.

DEN/LAX - Total disaster as 1k's were called with GS, and barely any time after those needing assistance were called. It bottlenecked and people started pushing.
LAX/SFO - E175 and it still sucked since most everyone seemed to be a GS or 1k.
SFO/DEN - Just now. Again, total clusterF! I used to relax a little to make sure I got my overhead bin space. But really at SFO watching at least 30 people come forward of the 1K or GS variety was awful. They have to make more of a point to separate 1K and GS at major hub to hub flights. The best part was about 30 seconds after the bottlenexk starts in the back up line. She says, and Group 1. I am getting the feeling that we are all going to suffer through this boarding as they have simply been told, get everyone on the damn plane! I was lucky on this flight to get somewhere to put my bags, but I am going to have to go back to the days of gate licing just to get bag up top.

Bad boarding process UAL!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I've had the unusual opportunity to stay home for a while. Tomorrow will be my first flight since the new boarding order took effect. I go CLE-EWR-BOM. It will be interesting to see how things go. I'm almost certain EWR will manage to mess things up.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I've had the unusual opportunity to stay home for a while. Tomorrow will be my first flight since the new boarding order took effect. I go CLE-EWR-BOM. It will be interesting to see how things go. I'm almost certain EWR will manage to mess things up.
The guy who was the GM for the "Cleveland Metro" for United (and was s loved without exception by everyone on the front line I talked to in CLE) is now a director at EWR... Hasn't been there for long but I already get the sense of a turning tide. Met him and his colleague in EWR a month ago and I don't have anywhere near the sense of impending dread I did before... Good luck though ;-)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I flew EWR-SFO recently - the boarding process was as described, and the gate agent kind of paused in between each pre-boarding group. The trouble was with how the retractable line queues were setup. There was no path to the podium except through Lane 1 or Lane 2, aside from ducking under adjacent retractable barriers. In an effort to avoid looking like a crazy and ducking under ropes when they called 1K, I just lined up with BG1. When they finally called 1K's, a slew of us clumsily made our way past all of the BG1 folks.

As others have echoed, moving 1K's to a nonexistent pre-boarding lane makes the boarding area even more of a mess as people are now congregating on both sides of the boarding lanes, anticipating their group to be called.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
...?

So, you're saying that you routinely violate UA policy by bringing on an oversized personal item, and, as a result, you inconvenience other passengers by taking additional overhead space, as you're unable to use the space in front of your seat?
I'm pretty sure that what drowelf means is that s/he brings 2 underseat-compliant personal items only on board, but both of those items don't fit into the underseat space in Y -- which is obstructed. I only take soft bags which can be squished into the underseat space. This isn't an issue for window and middle seats, since there are no obstructions. This is also why domestic F aisle seats often put their personal item in the middle slot instead of the slot directly under their seat.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
After a little time with this new policy I really like it. Maybe my flights are 1K light but I enjoy not trying to beat the lice to the group 1 line and can leisurely hang out in the open space.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Me too. HKG-SFO this morning. The GA nailed the order, paused between groups, while a 2nd agent walked around with a laminated sign instructing 1Ks to walk around the G1 line, into the pre-boarding area.

0 Disability
0 Kids
1 GS
0 Military
15 1Ks (50/50 J/E+)
Group 3-5 obediently sat

Flight only had 100 in the main cabin on a 77W, so very light, but nevertheless, smooth as silk.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Me too. HKG-SFO this morning. The GA nailed the order, paused between groups, while a 2nd agent walked around with a laminated sign instructing 1Ks to walk around the G1 line, into the pre-boarding area.

0 Disability
0 Kids
1 GS
0 Military
15 1Ks (50/50 J/E+)
Group 3-5 obediently sat

Flight only had 100 in the main cabin on a 77W, so very light, but nevertheless, smooth as silk.

But that's not the order. People with kids come after GS now. Military goes before GS. So it sound like the GA got it all wrong.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Just boarded CLE-EWR, my first flight since the new order. They got it right! They preboarded disabled, then called for military. Then GS.

As I was walking down the jetway I heard call for families then 1K. All with a reasonable pause.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
My observations so far:

Before Sep 18, when it was unclear where each boarding line terminated exactly, I used to get a lot of:
"Excuse me, is this Group 1?"

Nowadays, because the pre-boarding area is mostly undefined, there is a lot of up-and-down checking out of the scattered people:
"Hmm, yeah, she looks like she's used to flying a lot. I bet she is 1K."
and
"Yep: shorts, tanned, baseball cap. He's definitely got that GS 'look'."

So you can tell where all the GS and 1K are hanging out, and you just congregate there too.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
..."Yep: shorts, tanned, baseball cap. He's definitely got that GS 'look'."....
Maybe in Maui...not where I fly.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It will be interesting to see how it is implemented at LHR because there was a GS lane - so does this now become the GS/1K lane now I wonder.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: You name it 😉
Originally Posted by demkr
It's about time.
I would have at agree, even as a lowly plat. What did surprise me was 3 GS and 4 1K on at 700 pm flight from BTR to IAH this morning. There may have always been that many but seem a bit elite heavy.

Last edited by dineaux; Oct 4, 2018 at 8:55 am
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Worked great at DFW this morning - they made an announcement 10 minutes beforehand explaining the new procedure. Plenty of pauses between pre-board groups and families were boarded LAST after 1Ks. I like it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by chavala
Worked great at DFW this morning - they made an announcement 10 minutes beforehand explaining the new procedure. Plenty of pauses between pre-board groups and families were boarded LAST after 1Ks. I like it.
Which unfortunately is incorrect. Families with children two and under are supposed to board before 1k's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.