Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MP Gold
As a Gold-level flyer this new boarding process has been great and has rectified my #1 gripe with the previous system: the credit card holders.

Getting bumped to group 1 and leaving the CC plebs in group 2 is all I ever wanted.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Flew EWR-LAX-EWR this week and boarding was a pleasant experience. The GA did everything according to the new book and the GS had plenty of space to pre-pre board. No complaints (as a 1K)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by ofcourseduh
Just did a SFO-KIX (Osaka) and HND (Tokyo) - SFO

At SFO they never called 1K specifically, I hung around and wandered up -- and they said 'yes, you can board now'

At HND, they actually has a separate line -- and they specifically called up Global Services and 1K for that line. Although it seemed most GS just hung around like usual -- and got on first. Then once all the other pre-board groups were called, they let the "line" of 1K pre-board. So it was just like it has always been, except that there was a 1K line (with about 25 folks) that went ahead of Group 1.

Pre-boarding line in PVG

Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
UA 309 CLT/EWR today was a Chinese fire drill. FA’s are contractors (G2) and had no clue. Called everyone at once and there was a scrum at the gate with one self-important jomoke cutting off a woman with a cane. CLT is one of the worst stations in the UA system and it shows
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Ok so I’m traveling on a Saturday, but in my first two experiences with the new boarding went by the book.

ORD-IAD and IAD-ZRH I was able to Pre-boarding and bypass the Group 1 lane as a 1K. I don’t think all 1Ks really understand this new procedure, as I saw a number of 1K BPs standing in line. Don’t know if they tried to shove their way forward as I was already past them ;-)
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by YumYumcake
Flying SDF-IAH: Gate agent calls: "1K and Global Services"
The 1Ks rush the gate..

Sure, maybe I was the only GS on that flight but still..
Unless things have recently changed at SFO they still seem to call GS..... pause.......... then request 1Ks to board.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by laspvg
Pre-boarding line in PVG

I appreciate this, if the preboarding area (line?) is wide enough for the various priorities to bypass the lower priority preboarding groups.

But if executed poorly, this is just a renumbering of boarding lanes. Lane 0 essentially.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Twice in last two weeks my flights from SFO did not pause. SFO-TPE UA871 @ Gate 98 9/24/2018, a chaotic mess when masses of 1K converging into the gate pushing some disabled and GS out of the way. SFO-EWR UA 1070 @ Gate 86 10/5/2018, although there were only <10 1Ks so it was not a big problem. In this (UA1070) flight I asked a GA to make sure to pause between the subgroups in preboarding, but another GA who made the call did not pause. The GA who I talked first approached me when I enter the gate and apologized to me, saying, "I remind her to pause between subgroups but she refused."
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Twice in last two weeks my flights from SFO did not pause. SFO-TPE UA871 @ Gate 98 9/24/2018, a chaotic mess when masses of 1K converging into the gate pushing some disabled and GS out of the way. SFO-EWR UA 1070 @ Gate 86 10/5/2018, although there were only <10 1Ks so it was not a big problem. In this (UA1070) flight I asked a GA to make sure to pause between the subgroups in preboarding, but another GA who made the call did not pause. The GA who I talked first approached me when I enter the gate and apologized to me, saying, "I remind her to pause between subgroups but she refused."
Please call GS CS or email them. They have to know about this so they can retain these agents. It's a benefit that I do not want to go away.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by 1015-1k

I appreciate this, if the preboarding area (line?) is wide enough for the various priorities to bypass the lower priority preboarding groups.

But if executed poorly, this is just a renumbering of boarding lanes. Lane 0 essentially.
I don’t know. I can see more problems created rather than solved with a setup like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

I don’t know. I can see more problems created rather than solved with a setup like this.
That's what I was thinking. I bet that was a local decision by someone who didn't like the official UA procedure.
It would be good if ALL airports followed the exact same procedure, for UA to get a feel for its effectiveness. This would allow them to modify if necessary with correct data and more accurate feedback.

UA survey question: "Did you like the new pre-boarding setup on your last flight." If originating with this PVG setup, this may not really be helpful feedback, if the persons evaluating the survey are unaware of this "rogue" setup.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by narvik
That's what I was thinking. I bet that was a local decision by someone who didn't like the official UA procedure.
It would be good if ALL airports followed the exact same procedure, for UA to get a feel for its effectiveness. This would allow them to modify if necessary with correct data and more accurate feedback.

UA survey question: "Did you like the new pre-boarding setup on your last flight." If originating with this PVG setup, this may not really be helpful feedback, if the persons evaluating the survey are unaware of this "rogue" setup.
One might *almost* think that’s the purpose of a nearly year long test of the new boarding process. But why bother when it’s more fun to just toss in new variables like this on rollout day and see what happens.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by YumYumcake
Flying SDF-IAH: Gate agent calls: "1K and Global Services"
More than half of the flights I've had since the new process came out called 1K and GS at the same time, usually right after families.

My first flight after hitting Gold was with the new process though, so obviously no complaints from my end.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

One might *almost* think that’s the purpose of a nearly year long test of the new boarding process. But why bother when it’s more fun to just toss in new variables like this on rollout day and see what happens.
There are costs - both explicit and opportunity - to testing to perfection just as there are costs to not testing. At some point the risk reward crosses.

My guess...

The current guy who manages the premier program came in about a year ago. It prob took several months to come to the conclusion / get agreement that they planned to tighten 1K requal requirements.

As that became clear the notion of “we need to add value to 1K at no direct $ cost” at the time of the announcement may have come up.

Enter the preboard modification.

Testing would have meant delaying the boarding rollout for months.

So they took a risk on their people and maybe figure it’s an easy thing to iterate on with their feedback loop. I’ll bet they tweak / push more clarification in the months ahead.

None of us has the numbers on what they are gaining vs losing.

What I do know is absolutist statements without the same info access as the decision makers generally skew too far to one side of reality.

Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
...the notion of “we need to add value to 1K at no direct $ cost” at the time of the announcement may have come up.

I'm dreading the next announcement of some small added value to 1K!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.