Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The DL folks are busy trying to figure out if the agent that day will play 'you board you lose' and remove them from the upgrade list when they board.
I’ve been Diamond at DL since the level came to be, and I’ve never experienced anything eventful about boarding a DL plane. With the new 5 lane setup or the old one. It’s pretty drama free, IME.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Do you think UA is monitoring this board? Or should someone compile a report of the posts and send it to UA HQ in Chicago? I just don't understand why it is so hard to train ALL GA's to announce the pre-boarding (1) in the exact correct order of the subgroups, and (2) do not call the next subgroup until the previous one all enter the gate. Or if someone can keep a list that is pinned in the beginning of this thread, for people to report each GA who did not follow the procedure, with Flight number/Date, Airport, and Gate Number.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I’ve been Diamond at DL since the level came to be, and I’ve never experienced anything eventful about boarding a DL plane. With the new 5 lane setup or the old one. It’s pretty drama free, IME.
As a Plat for over 10 years I started traveling with a duffel to make sniping many an upgrade over the years from Diamonds who stand on a carpet for 20 minutes to be the very first to board and trust DL upgrade clearance would be consistently in their favor as top tier elites. 😁 You know as a well vetted process.

Its made my boarding effortless on every carrier.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
DL boarding has consistently been the smoothest in my experience. AA on the other hand is usually a disaster with their million and a half groups and no one knowing where to go.

UA is right in the middle.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Do you think UA is monitoring this board? Or should someone compile a report of the posts and send it to UA HQ in Chicago? I just don't understand why it is so hard to train ALL GA's to announce the pre-boarding (1) in the exact correct order of the subgroups, and (2) do not call the next subgroup until the previous one all enter the gate. Or if someone can keep a list that is pinned in the beginning of this thread, for people to report each GA who did not follow the procedure, with Flight number/Date, Airport, and Gate Number.
Lack of leadership at the airport level and vacant oversight from the HQ level.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:12 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Worked as described and worked perfectly for both UA1406 SFO-LAS on October 6 and for UA 361 LAS-SFO on October 8
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
SFO>ZRH on 10/8 was by the book. No drama. A handful of GS and a shed full of 1K.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Before BG2 you got DYKWIA 1Ks frantic to be 1st on, some "Premier Access" loons, disabled (and "disabled"), service people, GSs, parents/spawn, other (patient) 1Ks in pre-board area, 1Ks in BG1 line wondering what the heck is going on, Ma and Pa Kettles with their once-in-a-lifetime F tickets, the odd non-UA FFP business F buyer wondering why everyone gets to board ahead of him/her, Plats, Golds puffing out their new BG1 chests - let all of 'em sort it out themselves.
LOL! This is so true...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:48 pm

UA2038 Monday SJC-EWR. Boarding announced by the book. 1 GS and 25 1K’s boarded before F was called. I was travelling with a backpack so as the 27th person boarding I had no space issues however those after me had to have the FA rearrange the F bins so theirs could fit.

Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Boarding last at end of BG1 solves all that. All of the scrum is ahead of that point. BG2 knows where they are. Before BG2 you got DYKWIA 1Ks frantic to be 1st on, some "Premier Access" loons, disabled (and "disabled"), service people, GSs, parents/spawn, other (patient) 1Ks in pre-board area, 1Ks in BG1 line wondering what the heck is going on, Ma and Pa Kettles with their once-in-a-lifetime F tickets, the odd non-UA FFP business F buyer wondering why everyone gets to board ahead of him/her, Plats, Golds puffing out their new BG1 chests - let all of 'em sort it out themselves.

If I have just a backpack, yes, I'll be close to dead last.
Look around I will likely be the guy behind you. I have no taste for the "scrum" at the start of boarding.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I've noticed a few times now that when the agent calls "1K" the front of the "1" line starts moving and everyone just follows.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by narvik
A bit pedantic, but have you?
In 23 years of flying out of EWR, I have never heard Terminal C referred to as T3.
The concourses are C-1, C-2 and C-3.
Ha no problem be as pedantic as you like. We're all here to learn!

I don't know why I typed T3 iso TC, it was probably late. Anyway to answer your question yes I use Newark for all my flights as I live in lower Manhattan on the west side, near the Hudson River and the Holland Tunnel.
  • I am flying on Thursday for the first time in a bit and will watch the process. There are some gates where int'l wide bodies use the lowest numbered C gates concourse where with the addition of the OTB bars and restaurants are means there is just a very crowded terminal at evening rush hour. I am flying to BRU on Thursday so if 999 is going out of one of the 'crowded' concourses I may just sit and watch from the bar. If it is the concourse where it is gate121 or higher I'll just stay in the lounge as that concourse generally has more room for the 275 pax or whatever that 777 uses. I have to see the process work, but in general I think Polaris/domestic First boarding last would be faster and more exclusive. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me but as I approach 3mm I prefer to be last on, get to my seat, get my PDB and go....
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdix
UA2038 Monday SJC-EWR. Boarding announced by the book. 1 GS and 25 1K’s boarded before F was called. I was travelling with a backpack so as the 27th person boarding I had no space issues however those after me had to have the FA rearrange the F bins so theirs could fit.

Not to go off topic, but 25 1K's on a Wednesday morning and yet they're cancelling that route entirely... What were loads like?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I've noticed a few times now that when the agent calls "1K" the front of the "1" line starts moving and everyone just follows.
This is exactly what happened in a few of the trips I took after Sep 18.
The GA got overwhelmed on the last occasion, as she suddenly had passengers approaching from two sides after calling "1K".
She kept saying/asking: "1K? 1K? 1K?"
I think the first two in line of BG1 were 1K, so that added to the confusion.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Process not followed at SAV which is not surprising since it's all contractors.

Went right from GS to group 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.