Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Process not followed at SAV which is not surprising since it's all contractors.

Went right from GS to group 1.
At contractor stations it's useful to ask them before boarding if they are using the new process and if they:

1. say "no" without an excuse, or give you attitude, then contact 1K voice and write them up

2. say "I am not aware of a new boarding process", then contact 1K voice and ask they be given the proper training

YYZ has had some of the more troublesome contractors over the years and if they can follow the new process (which they do), then any outstation should be able to do the same.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
SLC today :

1) Disabilities
2) Families
3) GS and 1K together
4) Military personel

Group1

Group2

Group3 ( all boarding through group 1 lane)

#fail
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
10/4/18
ORD-DEN Gate B9

BG 1 and BG2 lanes packed 20 min prior to departure with the area in front of the podium/desk packed with 20+ people standing (I was one). They called Disabilities, Military and families together and then paused. The podium agent than said "What are all you people waiting on?" and pointed at the group in which I was standing. Someone said "We're pre-board" and she said over the speaker "Raise your hand if your 1K or Global". We all did and she said "Oh my God, this is never going to work. Why don't you all form a new line next to the group one line and we will get you boarded next.". It was a total CF and this is at a hub no less.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
UA2038 Monday SJC-EWR. Boarding announced by the book. 1 GS and 25 1K’s boarded before F was called. I was travelling with a backpack so as the 27th person boarding I had no space issues however those after me had to have the FA rearrange the F bins so theirs could fit.

Then UA 450 back Tuesday evening there was no pre board call. First boarding was Group 1. Go figure.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
Not to go off topic, but 25 1K's on a Wednesday morning and yet they're cancelling that route entirely... What were loads like?
They are cancelling it? Seriously. Full on the outbound and full on the return Tuesday PM.

SJC is much more convenient for me and since parking at SFO is a nightmare I was shifting from the SFO non stops to this. BUT.... Crappy airplane. WiFi didn't work either way, DirecTV had issues and all in all for 5-6 hours a very uncomfortable experience. Back to the big planes for me and I told UA so much in their survey.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Pre boarding today ORD-DEN went flawlessly

No issues and GA announced correctly
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by kirkt
Pre boarding today ORD-DEN went flawlessly

No issues and GA announced correctly
Better than yesterdays reported experience!

Originally Posted by limey1K
10/4/18
ORD-DEN Gate B9

BG 1 and BG2 lanes packed 20 min prior to departure with the area in front of the podium/desk packed with 20+ people standing (I was one). They called Disabilities, Military and families together and then paused. The podium agent than said "What are all you people waiting on?" and pointed at the group in which I was standing. Someone said "We're pre-board" and she said over the speaker "Raise your hand if your 1K or Global". We all did and she said "Oh my God, this is never going to work. Why don't you all form a new line next to the group one line and we will get you boarded next.". It was a total CF and this is at a hub no less.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Today, 10/11/18, 0615AM BWI-IAH, GA called for the usual preboards, but completely skipped GS.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Got to my IAD-SFO flight late so missed the preboarding; worked out fine. SFO-SNA was the first fllight since the change that I was actually there for the call... They called disabilities, GS, then military, then pax with kids under 2, then 1Ks. Gave each sufficient time, fwiw. The group 1 line was insane, as expected; I was surprised there weren't more 1ks, actually, but maybe some were in the group 1 line.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Better than yesterdays reported experience!
Now to see how DEN-BUR Goes
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today on my flight they called disabilities, then military, then families with infants then GS and 1K together.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Today in SAN they read the script exactly correct and had good pauses between pre board groups.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Yesterday in PHL I observed the first time a GA conducting boarding correctly. It was the last flight PHL-SFO and delayed for near 2 hours. The GA did the following:
1.-10 min: She asked everyone who plan to preboard to move to her right (left side facing the gate), where there was more space than the other side, and was not blocked by the two boarding lanes.
2. -3 min: She described the preboarding order and said that you preboard after you hear your group is called.
3. -1 min: She began to call disabled, pause, and as the last of the disabled entered the gate she called military and GS and family.
4. The family boarding was slow, I decided to let a couple anxious parents with children to move before me. The GA did not call 1K until we (GS and family) all into the jet bridge, and must have paused some further, before calling the 1Ks.

This was the most orderly preboarding and it was clear that the GA knew the potential problems and prevented them by NOT CALLING 1K until the others pre-boarded. I hope all GAs will learn to do this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
GRU-IAD on Wed. Gate was downstairs in Terminal 3 meaning we were bused to the plane. Not an ideal situation to start. Downstairs gates don't have much room, so there was just a lane to one side marked "1" and a lane to the other side marked "2". Brazilain law requires them the board disabled, families with young children and seniors over 60 first, so there was also a line next to Lane 1 for those people. (could have used that based on age, but hey, I'm 1K!) I checked with a GA and was told to just stand in between the two lanes in front of the counter. Did get to preboard the bus.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Write in about this - I've had multiple issues in ATL with agents not knowing published 1K benefits and they get quite defensive when you try to push back.
Interesting that you say this....a year ago, I was flying through with my step son, who was on a separate ticket. I asked the Club Room agent to add him to the 1st Class Upgrade list, and she told me that he had to be booked on the same ticket to be eligible to upgrade. Again, you can't get anywhere arguing. Still trying to be polite, I asked, "Oh... did the policy just change?" "It's always been that way. All flyers must be on the same ticket to be eligible to upgrade." "Hmmm, I guess I'm confused because I've done it before." "It's not possible." So, I just walked away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.