Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Just needed to vent that as a 1K on pre-thanksgiving day half the flight is either disabled and taking the miracle flight, or has children...
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
That person was on my flight too! EWR-PBI
That person is on every EWR/PBI and EWR/FLL flight - they must have a billion miles by now. Maybe one day someone will play the roll of Benny Hinn and whack them upside the head while screaming "demons out! it's a miracle!!"
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mdbe
Just needed to vent that as a 1K on pre-thanksgiving day half the flight is either disabled and taking the miracle flight, or has children...
Leaving out of YYZ's Siberia (aka F97) this morning I was shocked that there were no GS, no one took the under 2 preboard (despite a couple strollers in the immediate area) and the two people in wheechairs actually requited (substantial) assistance. And the contract agents called the correct boarding order.

It was a pleasant pre-holiday surprise (I know, I know, Camadaian Thanksgiving is different so not actually a holiday in the origin city...bit still... I was expecting a certain level of transborder migration)
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
BOS-SFO: Automated announcements for preboarding (disabled / military / GS / families / 1K) played in order but with no breaks in between groups. Surprisingly few GS/1Ks, though it was a Sunday morning flight so maybe that was why.

SFO-LAX: Preboards called in order and with plenty of time between groups. Also the rest of boarding was surprisingly orderly, unlike what one normally sees at EWR
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by truncated
SFO-LAX: Preboards called in order and with plenty of time between groups. Also the rest of boarding was surprisingly orderly, unlike what one normally sees at EWR
Hmm. maybe Californians know how/when to listen...

David
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by truncated
Originally Posted by DELee
Hmm. maybe Californians know how/when to listen...
Two words. Legalized cannabis.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I hate standing in line so I always liked to board last in my group (which was/is 1). Now I have to wait for all the golds to board
Using my advanced powers of deduction, I’m guessing you’re platinum. From what I can see, the big benefit of platinum is getting up to 8 companions in E+ vs. the 1 you get as a gold. While the new boarding process is a decline in experience for platinums, I’m curious how many have had an issue getting overhead bin space. I’ve always thought that gold should get 2-3 E+ companions.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by 1cericks

Using my advanced powers of deduction, I’m guessing you’re platinum. From what I can see, the big benefit of platinum is getting up to 8 companions in E+ vs. the 1 you get as a gold. While the new boarding process is a decline in experience for platinums, I’m curious how many have had an issue getting overhead bin space. I’ve always thought that gold should get 2-3 E+ companions.
Cow (resident poster over at the Air Canada subforum ) is SE - top published elite level on AC, so he would get *G when traveling on *A flights. Assume he rides the front often on UA, hence his comment about is/was BG1; otherwise, *G was BG2, and is now BG1.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Cow (resident poster over at the Air Canada subforum ) is SE - top published elite level on AC, so he would get *G when traveling on *A flights. Assume he rides the front often on UA, hence his comment about is/was BG1; otherwise, *G was BG2, and is now BG1.
Correct. Paid F/J.

I don't fly UA "often", but I'm always up front.

I actually have two flights tomorrow if the SDC gods don't open D space on a non-stop (hopes are low given they're J0 or F0 or whatever the top bucket is).

So I'll get to witness boarding a few more times.

If AA had an equivalent deal on this trip, I would have booked them, solely over the boarding process.

Alas, when booking J one week out, you take what you can get.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K

I was platinum for years until the past month when I qualified for 1k, and the only equipment I had issues with were ERJ-170/175. One quarter of first class has to put their bags up top in coach. I fly a lot of those EWR-MSP and EWR-CHS, so the 1K is going to help immeasurably.

Agree that the primary advantage of platinum is now the E+. RPU mean very little.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
I had 6 flights (1x EZE, 1x MAN, 2x EWR, 2x IAH, ) this week and boarding worked like a charm compared to BA. The brexit people at MAN even honored active US military.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
New process not observed on UA 328 (HNL-SFO) Sunday night (11/25). They went right from preboarding those with disabilities to First Class cabin.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
This week had new process done perfectly with proper pauses between preboard groups in SYD, IAH, MSY, and IAH again.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
DFW, IAH, AKL and SFO all worked as it should. Looks like they (mostly) have finally gotten it down.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
It's working well 95% of the time for my flights. There was a kerfuffle last week EWR-FLL when a guy at the front of the Zone 1 line was miffed that 1K's stormed the gate when 1K was called.

I'm not sure if he was 1K in the Zone 1 line, whether he thought 1K was Group 1, or whether he was unaware of the new process, but two guys walked swiftly in front of him. He did the "there's a line here" and those two guys turned around and said "pre-board 1K is through the gate area", and that was that. Kinda illustrates the possible confusion between Group 1, 1K, Zone 1 and is another argument for those two new lanes being A & B, but it will sort itself out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.