Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Reminds me to say that it was not observed on UA949 LHR-SFO on 28 Nov. Used the old process (new pre-boarding announcement not read out). It ddn't matter as the flight was almost empty and there was 1 GS (that I saw) before 1Ks were released from their holding pen. I couldn't be bothered to say anything due to the flight being so passenger light.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore

NRT Gate 36 1K preboarding holding pen

Gotta love UA2197 this afternoon SLC-ORD.

Group 1 line completely empty but there were gate lice aplenty. 25+ 1K, including almost all of F (20 seat 739), preboarded. Guessing I won't get my first meal choice

Perhaps a formal 1K holding pen (Group 0.5) rollout for small outstations such as SLC is in order...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
This is my concern. Really hope they implement it consistently....
Another miss of the “f.” No 1K announcement. Went right from passengers with kids under 2 to group 1. Not the first time since September 18.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Another miss of the “f.” No 1K announcement. Went right from passengers with kids under 2 to group 1. Not the first time since September 18.
I would complain to 1kvoice (and tell them I don't want comp). This was the trade off for $3k in additional PQD.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete

At ORD or somewhere else? With the order codified on the overhead monitors at most airports / gates now, it seems much more difficult to fail with the procedure.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:39 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Big fail at LAS yesterday afternoon to ORD. Agent called everyone at the same time. I gave him my opinion on what he did.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Big fail at LAS yesterday afternoon to ORD. Agent called everyone at the same time. I gave him my opinion on what he did.
Same thing at LAS for me about 3 weeks ago. She called people with disabilities and the “all other pre-boarders”. Might be one agent? Funny thing is, she actually announced how it was supposed to work, but then just called GS, families w/sub-2 spawn, and 1Ks to board as “all other pre-boarders”.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 6, 2018 at 9:17 am Reason: speling
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Same thing at LAS for me about 3 weeks ago. She called people with disabilities and the “all other pre-boarders”. Might be one agent? Funny thing is, she actually announced how it was supposed to work, but than just called GS, families w/sub-2 spawn, and 1Ks to board as “all other pre-boarders”.
Ironically, that's exactly how the agent did it yesterday. But it was a male agent.

I called GS CS and gave them the information and they will follow up with LAS management.

I frequent LAS often and before this incident they have been doing it correctly.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
At ORD or somewhere else? With the order codified on the overhead monitors at most airports / gates now, it seems much more difficult to fail with the procedure.
yeah ORD gate C9 at 5:20 AM Maybe the early morning had something to do with it.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Worked well in HKG. They asked the 1Ks to stand in one line. The GS (5 of them) were to the left of us. The Line 1 to the right of us. Only funny story is that a passenger in Line 1 did not like that my wife (who is Platinum and will be 1K after that flight posts) was able to wait with me.

But one agent was not sure when the passengers with kids under 2 would board and could not give the right answer to the parents. But at boarding, it correctly went GS, parents with kids under 2, 1Ks. No rushing but then they had not really opened the plane for boarding so there was a short wait in the jet bridge.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:08 am

12/1/18 - ALB to ORD (5702).
Pre boarding announced correctly, but no GS or 1K (yeah, it's smalbany). Pauses in between.
I was "regular" Group 1.

12/1/18 - ORD to PVR (1621)
Pre-boarding announced correctly, but either no GS or 1K, or they didn't want to walk through the line (?). Pauses in between.
I was in "regular" Group 1.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Boarding EWR-LAX today...I was late to the gate, but only 5(!) minutes after the stated boarding start time, they were already calling for all groups to get on the plane. I can’t comment on efficiency, but most of J and Y (from what I could see - I am sitting up front) was not boarded by then. Feel like either there are a lot of stragglers of the GAs were perhaps a tad overzealous...?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Same thing at LAS for me about 3 weeks ago. She called people with disabilities and the “all other pre-boarders”. Might be one agent? Funny thing is, she actually announced how it was supposed to work, but then just called GS, families w/sub-2 spawn, and 1Ks to board as “all other pre-boarders”.
Same total failure in HNL yesterday. Routes out of HNL can be heavy with folks that really do need extra time. They got trampled yesterday by all other preboarders being called at once. Except GS, they were not called at all.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Slouchman
Same total failure in HNL yesterday. Routes out of HNL can be heavy with folks that really do need extra time. They got trampled yesterday by all other preboarders being called at once. Except GS, they were not called at all.
Well, then what did you and the other GSs do?

David
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, then what did you and the other GSs do?

David
We followed the 1K’s in...and politely reminded the gate agent she forgot us. The explanation was then given that GS follows 1K on their written text...I did not engage..but another GS did with no obvious effect. Just waiting for the survey to be sent where I note again that following their own procedures would eliminate a lot of angst

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.