Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
I've been impressed how much DL's "bags on time" guarantee has made more okay with the idea of checking my bag. At least if I lose an extra 15 minutes at the baggage carousel I get some compensation for it. Not that I don't still carry on most of the time, but...
I have a good friend who flies DL and he loves this feature. This is a friend whose luggage usually takes different flights than him - in fairness last few times have been AA.

He rarely takes any carryon, all checked bags.

Certainly frees up the space for others with a need for carryon.

He is also one of the last to board (stays in the lounge) but always gets a PDB. He has tried to convert me from UA for years - he has top tier status with both DL and AA and he hates UA with a passion (not certain why). He obviously has $$ but UA's new program does not entice him.

I still do carryon with UA and thus want to pre-board to ensure space in the overhead because just as I think UA has got good with delivery of bags (think LHR delivery time - superb) I get another LAS debacle where it is a wait (and you need to walk from the gates at the end of the terminal to the tram, take the tram, walk to the luggage at the end of the hall) and then they change the carousel. SAN is hit and miss - last week really quick, prior flight a very, very long wait.

Agree promised delivery time to luggage carousel of 15 minutes of arrival would mean less carryon by me with less desire to pre-board.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:53 pm

I've been impressed how much DL's "bags on time" guarantee has made more okay with the idea of checking my bag. At least if I lose an extra 15 minutes at the baggage carousel I get some compensation for it. Not that I don't still carry on most of the time, but...
And Delta is really good at baggage. I check bags on Delta all the time, and I think I’ve only used the guarantee a couple times.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The downside of this guarantee is that the rampers rush to get the bags off the plane and onto the carousel, so they are rougher with the bags. My bags noticeably wear faster when I check them on DL.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by FT01
in fact, I think over half of people would be happy be to liberated of their large hand luggage if they knew there was no penalty for doing so, ie standing around waiting at the carousel.
Before there were checked bag fees, overhead bin space was not much of a problem.

I think they should let any legal carry-on be checked for free, and charge for large bags or second bags.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FT01
I am not familiar with that policy but, certainly, I would have no issue checking a bag if there wasn't going to be a 30 minute wait at the other end.
in fact, I think over half of people would be happy be to liberated of their large hand luggage if they knew there was no penalty for doing so, ie standing around waiting at the carousel.
20 minutes from block-in to the bag scan onto the belt, or you are eligible for 2,500 miles. You have to proactively request, but it seems to be entirely automated. I was instantly approved for a 21 minute delivery -- something I would have let slide if I didn't have to stand around next to every wall plastered with "your bags in 20 minutes.. guaranteed" posters

That being said, I normally get my bags fairly quickly on United also - there's just something about the backstop that makes me feel better about it with DL. And yes, literally not caring when I board is a liberating feeling.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
Before there were checked bag fees, overhead bin space was not much of a problem.

I think they should let any legal carry-on be checked for free, and charge for large bags or second bags.
It seems they almost always let you check a bag to its final destination for free at the gate. I know anytime a flight has a heavy load they proactively ask for people to do so.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I wish UA could offer a hybrid model, where you can gate check your bag on a mainline flight and it's returned to you on the jetway like with UAX flights. They do this already for strollers, so there clearly is a process for this. If this were available, I would use it and board toward the end. Dealing with baggage claim when needing to head straight to a meeting or arriving EWR late at night isn't appealing.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Why doesn’t UA go to back-to-front boarding like (I think) Delta has? Seems like bag storage isn’t a problem nowadays? Seems like someone who insists on boarding first because he/she has status or a forward seat gets proximal to the emissions (head level emissions, that is) of every subsequent boarding passenger. I’d be fine with this type of boarding for the time being.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Why doesn’t UA go to back-to-front boarding like (I think) Delta has? Seems like bag storage isn’t a problem nowadays? Seems like someone who insists on boarding first because he/she has status or a forward seat gets proximal to the emissions (head level emissions, that is) of every subsequent boarding passenger. I’d be fine with this type of boarding for the time being.
There's nothing forcing someone sitting up front to board first. These days, I'd be hanging out in the gate area until they made final call for boarding no matter where I was sitting.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by econ
There's nothing forcing someone sitting up front to board first. These days, I'd be hanging out in the gate area until they made final call for boarding no matter where I was sitting.
If I were flying today, I would do the same.

I don't know why, for a flight with 20 passengers on a 120 seat plane, we don't return to yesteryear and board back to front. Row 25 to 30, followed by 20-25 etc. It will definitely be faster.

If they don't do that, then I would wait until all were boarded to get on (unless I am at the back of the plane )
Old Apr 24, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by econ
There's nothing forcing someone sitting up front to board first...
Regardless of personal preference, back of front is the logical, most responsible way to do this at this time. It reduces the instances of proximity. I think Delta is doing the responsible (and right) thing.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:05 pm

https://hub.united.com/united-corona...ial-distancing

"
  • Boarding fewer customers at a time to allow for more distance during the boarding process. Following pre-boarding, we will board back-to-front by rows, but will space out customers to minimize crowding in the gate area and on the jet bridge.
"
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by threeoh
https://hub.united.com/united-corona...ial-distancing

"
  • Boarding fewer customers at a time to allow for more distance during the boarding process. Following pre-boarding, we will board back-to-front by rows, but will space out customers to minimize crowding in the gate area and on the jet bridge.
"
Except you have those people that are seated in 42B trying to stuff their oversized carry-on containing maybe a Jet Ski above row 4 so they don't have to hork it to the back. So by the time you board for 4A, the overhead compartment is gone.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Except you have those people that are seated in 42B trying to stuff their oversized carry-on containing maybe a Jet Ski above row 4 so they don't have to hork it to the back. So by the time you board for 4A, the overhead compartment is gone.
Should be easier for FA's to monitor this with a back to front loading -- if they try.
Including closing the bins until the front cabin starts to load.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Should be easier for FA's to monitor this with a back to front loading -- if they try.
Including closing the bins until the front cabin starts to load.
My how we laughed. Wouldn't it be nice if they did put some thought into this though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.