Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by iflyabunch
As a GS, if I'm late and they've already started general boarding, I just walk up to the front at the "pre-board area" next to the Group 1 line and they allow me to board. I don't wait in the back of Group 1.
It's an etiquette question, but I personally don't do that. But I have a feeling that now with the much larger group that includes 1Ks, there will be less flexibility in that regard.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by katan
As a GS I've never felt the desire to push ahead to join the families with children, those that need more time or service members. It just seems like an unequal situation to me, as much as I fly.

I'm curious how this will be impacted with moving 1K out of group 1 and into the preboarding. Are we going to be kicking grandma's walker just to make sure we get a place for our bags? Maybe a bit of hyperbole, but the preboard period is a little bit unregulated.

The only time I care in the least to get ahead of G1 is first on RJ's. My goodness, good luck getting overhead on those tubes.
The thing I have noticed now with the new pre board new regime is the GA's are scooting through the now increased number of pre boards fairly quickly and not necessarily in the same order which seems to add to confusion,
Personally for me it seems to make more sense to have those needing more time , disabilities and the young kids boarding with a gap of several minutes before the rest to get them settled.There is little point to me boarding the infirm first only to be chased down and overtaken on the jet bridge by elites gripped by the pathological fear that they will be unable to stow their carry on precisely over their seat
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
...Personally for me it seems to make more sense to have those needing more time , disabilities and the young kids boarding with a gap of several minutes before the rest to get them settled.There is little point to me boarding the infirm first only to be chased down and overtaken on the jet bridge by elites gripped by the pathological fear that they will be unable to stow their carry on precisely over their seat
+1

I feel like I am blocking and tackling to stop the other members of BG1 rushing past me and the pre-boarding group in front of us. It astounds me that some people are so clueless (I prefer to think they are clueless rather than just plain rude).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
My thoughts exactly. You have an often very brief window to board, before looking like you're cutting the line or succumbing to the rear of Group 1. Welcome to the club, 1Ks.
Sometimes you (a GS) have to be at the gate way earlier because the lines of BG1 and BG2 start to build up real early. So in a limited width gate area, either you try to be ahead of the formation of the lines, or forget about pr-boarding. Unless you want to cut the lines going around people and ready to receive the stares, or "hey, this is group one!" because people in the line assume that you think the long line must be group 2 and you are trying to find group 1..
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by iflyabunch
As a GS, if I'm late and they've already started general boarding, I just walk up to the front at the "pre-board area" next to the Group 1 line and they allow me to board. I don't wait in the back of Group 1.
Exactly what I do.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Personally for me it seems to make more sense to have those needing more time , disabilities and the young kids boarding with a gap of several minutes before the rest to get them settled.There is little point to me boarding the infirm first only to be chased down and overtaken on the jet bridge by elites gripped by the pathological fear that they will be unable to stow their carry on precisely over their seat
I make a point of boarding right after the folks with disabilities (and previously the folks with kids too) and rushing up the jetway. That way I can usually help them carry their bags to their seats (since the FAs sure as heck aren't going to to it) and then rush back to my own seat..

When they thank me, I usually say: "I'm Global Services. That's what we're here for."
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
The thing I have noticed now with the new pre board new regime is the GA's are scooting through the now increased number of pre boards fairly quickly and not necessarily in the same order which seems to add to confusion,
Agreed. On my last flight, they preboarded families with young kids then boarded Group 1 almost immediately thereafter. The poor mother in front of me was still trying to get her baby out of the stroller so she could gate check it and had a bunch of Group 1s piled up behind her then passing her. Ridiculous.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:47 am

Seeing several play out, the thing that struck me is how easily they changed the behavior of groups 3 - 5 in a way standard 2 lane boarding (a la Delta, AA, prior CO/UA) doesn't.

Most of them stay seated until boarding begins, I presume simply because they see '1' and '2' on the lanes, and no 'main cabin' or other generic label.

Some get up when groups 1 and 2 get called, but a lot still wait for their numbers. I guess it gets to the Kirby 'insight' that 80% of pax fly once a year (or whatever that big % is he mentions). When you don't fly often I guess you're more actively taking direction from signs and announcements.

The 1K thing...surprised how many know to preboard already. Again, gets to insight about the behavior - they're very engaged with the airline. And the emails I guess were actively read.

You do have to strain to hear '1K' during the call because it's such a short two syllable phrase over a loudspeaker in an airport. I suppose changing the script to 'Premier 1K' would help that, but so many people use the shorthand by instinct it is what it is.

My guess is the goal of all this was to speed up boarding a la the D0 initiative and we'll see more random early boarding calls as well, which will frustrate. I'm sticking to trying to board last - don't value the extra time in the seat under the command of the crew - but I can see the value of the preboard if the carryon thing is a sticking point. The other 1Ks I saw were certainly eager to participate, so well done marketing.

And looks like million miler benefits improved with G1 boarding. At least until the next iteration.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: United 1K, 1.9MM
TLV-EWR flight, 1Ks were pre-boarded after repeated prodding and after first calling Group 1.
On flight from EWR-TLV GA said that 1Ks were in Group 1, that there was no 1K pre-board.
As usual, implementation at UA is terrible.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by threeoh
Yeah I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with the idea that you should check your bag because the bin over your seat is full (either with safety equipment or with other pax bags) when there are other bins in your cabin / "seating category".
Safety equipment is generally stored in the same bins in each discrete class of aircraft. If you know which bins usually - but not always - contain safety equipment, why would you book a seat in that vicinity if there are other unencumbered seats still available?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Safety equipment is generally stored in the same bins in each discrete class of aircraft. If you know which bins usually - but not always - contain safety equipment, why would you book a seat in that vicinity if there are other unencumbered seats still available?
Maybe they prefer those seats?

Do you also judge people for booking bulkhead seats even though they know there won't be any under-seat storage?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drowelf
I tend to have 2 carry ons which are more of the personal size and much smaller than rollers. Neither one will fit under an economy aisle seat on most of UA planes.
...?

So, you're saying that you routinely violate UA policy by bringing on an oversized personal item, and, as a result, you inconvenience other passengers by taking additional overhead space, as you're unable to use the space in front of your seat?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Yesterday at DEN, GA called ALL preboard groups (disabilities, military, GS, families with children) at once. I walked up and ask did you mean for us all to board now and she said yes. I was gone from the gate area before the other preboards were scanned so don’t know what she did with 1Ks. Maybe it was just poor boarding procedure and nothing to do with the new process.

Last edited by SFOdelayed; Oct 3, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I wrote to GS customer care to comment I've seen GAs all over the place with the pre-board order since the new procedure. I specifically mentioned that PAUSES are important between groups. Here's part of the reply, bolding mine.

Our intent with this Better Boarding process is to better serve our customers and elevate the gate experience: improving communication, reducing time spent waiting in lines, and better Premier recognition while right-sizing our boarding groups. We are working hard to get all of our agents on the same page. We thank you for your patience during this transition.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Yesterday at DEN, GA called ALL preboard groups (disabilities, military, GS, families with children) at once. I walked up and ask did you mean for us all to board now and she said yes. I was gone from the gate area before she the other preboards were scanned so don’t know what she did with 1Ks. Maybe it was just poor boarding procedure and nothing to do with the new process.
To paint with a broad brush there are basically two types of agents: The auctioneer/impatient type who either pages all preboards without so much as taking a breath ("GlobalServicesWithDisabilitiesUnder2InMilitaryUn iform you're welcome to preboard) or the agents who dutifully page every group, pause long enough to read a newspaper article, page the same group again (even--or especially if--no one has so much as twitched), pause again before moving on to the next group.

Hate to say it but I'm playing an AA refugee on this trip (need to get to BDA... UA alone couldn't do it [seasonal route ended since I last priced it maybe?], and spending a night in YYZ and 10x the AA fare to do it on *A wasn't something even I could justify, anywhay while AA's 9 groups seems a little outlandish it seems to work really well on the two legs I have down so far today. It's easy to figure out that you have preboards, then group 1 with the "concierge key can board now or at their leisure", then group 2... no one has to figure out if GS comes before 1K comes before or after children, where the military fits into the whole ordeal, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.