Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I had not flown in a couple of weeks on a mainline flight, and just got to see this am today. It does not matter to me much in small locations or on express jets, but on a 738 to LAX it mattered a lot today. Agent screwed it up. I was standing to the side like normal so that I can get my bin space. Agent, Pre-boards and misses GS. Then calls all GS and 1K at teh same time, since every fricking 1K was already in group 1 line, I found my way to the back. F cabin was completely full by the time I made it on! First flight in two months I had to take more than a small overnight bag as I am gone all week. I'll be interested to see how the various airports do it, since I will be at 5 more hubs this week.

That UA has managed to screw this one up does not surprise me at all. However, I still think they have not thought this through.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I was at the gate for boarding of my second flight since the change (another mainline 739). Either the 1Ks didn't get the memo or the flight was elite-light, as maybe 3 of us boarded at the call for 1Ks. I could watch the whole cabin from Row 5, and despite one or two Y pax who dumped their stuff in F bins there was enough space throughout boarding and no one in F had to gate check. While the bins absolutely fill up sometimes, I rather suspect this (everyone except maybe one pax is fine) is more the norm.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
I was at the gate for boarding of my second flight since the change (another mainline 739). Either the 1Ks didn't get the memo or the flight was elite-light, as maybe 3 of us boarded at the call for 1Ks. I could watch the whole cabin from Row 5, and despite one or two Y pax who dumped their stuff in F bins there was enough space throughout boarding and no one in F had to gate check. While the bins absolutely fill up sometimes, I rather suspect this (everyone except maybe one pax is fine) is more the norm.
When I see a coach passenger dump a bag in 1st while there are still open F seats I make a mental note and if an F passenger winds up with no space I inform the FA. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior other than an extreme form of self importance. I have seen such bags end up gate checked as a result and it is completely warranted. The absurd thing is that in general when I see it happen there is plenty of space in coach and dumping the bag in F won't even save the perp any time getting off. It's pure selfishness.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by findark
What airport please?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
What airport please?
PHX-SFO; had the same experience on SFO-PHX. I don't think the number of bags in the bins after a flight has boarded (both left with zero empty seats in either cabin) is strongly dependent on the airport though.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Anyone having issues with the way a lot of the lines are setup now and boarding a bit late via the Group 1 line? It feels like my last few flights I am seeing more people blocking the entrance to the Group 1 line, and then when you managed to squeeze past and get to the front of the line, people in Group 2 don't let you board and the GA doesn't stop them and wave you over. A bit broken if you ask me and would be helpful if the GAs did more to organize the line other than just making announcements after people do what they want to anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by narvik
lol, happened to me all the time:
"Sir, you don't need to remove that from the bag."
30 seconds later, different screener:
"Sir, you have to always remove those items before going through the scanner, okay?"

Sorry for OT, couldn't resist.
Haha, my favorite from last week:

Me: *Remove hat from head while walking through metal detector and hold it open facing TSA agent since I'm often asked to do this*
TSA Agent: "Well, since you took off your hat, let me inspect it now!"
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Am so glad I have decided when flying domestically in the the USA that my carryon will always fit under the seat in front.
That way I can just relax at the gate lounge while the scrum seethes around me and board last.
At home my airline (Virgin) has 7kg, dimension limited carry on rule which is strictly policed and they board all ‘the elites’ together (dedicated line) and one half of the plane from the front and the the other half from the back.
From first call to fully boarded around 10 mins.
Very civilised.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Best solution is something I saw happen about 6 months ago. When a late arriving F passenger didn’t have room another F passenger pointed out a bag that was dropped by someone enroute to coach. She pulled down the bag and in a low voice only loud enough to be heard in F said “is this anyones bag”, when she didn’t get an answer she gave it to the gate agent as an unaccompanied bag. I stayed in my seat at arrival to see what happended and when the passenger found his bag missing the F/A calmly told him what was done, pointed out it was mandated by FAA that when the owner coukd not be identified they needed to remove the bag and encouraged him to immediately contact baggage services as “ unaccompanied bags may be damaged or destroyed”. I doubt that passenger will do it again.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
1171 DEN-RNO, I was the only 1K or GS. They called all pre-boarders in one shot so I stayed off to the side and let a bunch of older passengers get on before me.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Just boarded 1262 EWR-DEN and while they did call 1Ks in was right in a rapid succession of running through the other pre-boards. I ended up helping an older woman with a cane carry her bag down since everyone was jammed up behind her. The entire pre-board call ran all of 20 seconds.
It seems like a large number of the failures to stick to the proper methodology happen in EWR. Being that it is a hub, not an outstation this is inexcusable. It really is so typical though of the lack of consistency that plagues execution @ UA.

Speaking botched deployments, it has been over two years and 600,000 miles flown (mostly in International "Polaris") and I have yet to set foot on an actual polaris equipped flight.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It always comes back to fix the overhead bin issue, and the boarding order issue pretty much goes away.
Exactly right!
On my flight last week I was did see an FA stop a pax with an oversized bag and make him check it, but this is a rare exception rather then the norm. As a norm, I see bags that fit only sideways, taking extra space. Perhaps if more people will buy basic economy, the overhead storage situation will improve.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hit the negative side of this today at DEN. As I was about a minute away from my gate I got the message from the app that they were boarding - about 4 minutes early.

By the time I got to the gate the pre-boarding was over, and they were boarding group 1 - which left me with no real option than to go to the back of group 1 line. Of course, that line is now longer than ever, because whilst it no longer includes 1K, it's been replaced with Gold which is generally going to be larger... End result was that I was much later in the boarding than I would have been under the old system.

On the positive side, the scanned beep when they scanned my boarding pass. Turned out they had swapped the aircraft from one with 12F to 20F, so my #4 on the upgrade list with no chance became a confirmed upgrade
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I am late to this party but...

IAD-SFO last Thursday, PM 777 flight. I ended up at back of group 1 (I should, I’m not a UA status customer just a *G) but was blown away by the quantity. Had to be at least 75 of us. When they called out for the 1K scores of people left the group 1 line and stampeded to the front.

I am am on about 8-10 UA flights a month so will learn the art of timing this, but for now I think I will cut lounge time down a bit.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by pdx1M
When I see a coach passenger dump a bag in 1st while there are still open F seats I make a mental note and if an F passenger winds up with no space I inform the FA. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior other than an extreme form of self importance. I have seen such bags end up gate checked as a result and it is completely warranted. The absurd thing is that in general when I see it happen there is plenty of space in coach and dumping the bag in F won't even save the perp any time getting off. It's pure selfishness.
I once flew SFO-DTW in Y row 11, boarding behind a tall man in his 30s. The guy held a boarding pass showing row 36 or 38. He put his large carry on in the overhead bin above my seat just when i was about to reach. I asked him could you please let me use the space, He said this is for all, you can go find your own space. The adjacent spaces as far as I can see are all full, but I think spaces in the rear end near his seat should still be available because that was still early in BG1. What would you do in this scenario?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.