Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by getagb
I am currently booked in B class on UA-operated UA945 Friday 6/30 FRA-ORD @ 8:10 am. I have a middle seat in economy, a GPU waitlisted with low chance of clearing, and a flexible schedule. Current flight inventory is tight (F2 / J1 / Y5). There is a later flight with a little more room (F2/J7/Y6/V2).

In order of preference I would like (1) my GPU to clear, (2) to get an aisle seat, and (3) to get an ETC. I don’t really care when or how fast I get back to Chicago. I would be willing to fly indirect if that would help.

Is my current flight likely to be overbooked & offer a VDB ETC? I haven’t flown an international flight this booked 10 days out before. If so, what amounts are typically offered?

Should I stay on my current flight and hope for the best, or SDC to the later one with more inventory? I’ve read that sometimes the 1K desk agents will transfer your GPU over.
Update: my GPU didn’t clear (although I’m #1 on the UG list), and both my flight and the flight I was going to SDC to are completely sold out in all 3 cabins. On the plus side, I snagged an aisle seat.

I’m actually showing on the business upgrade list twice (both 1 and 2). Anyone seen that before? Why would someone show up twice?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
... I’m actually showing on the business upgrade list twice (both 1 and 2). Anyone seen that before? Why would someone show up twice?
Could be two people -- I have seen my "code" list twice before -- upon checking it was two different people.

I was the higher code -- if I had clear I bet someone would have claimed "shenanigans"
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by UAL250
OK, thanks. I will send in my request online, don't see a number for them in domestic.
I've just called the general number and asked for web support. They've transferred me.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I've just called the general number and asked for web support. They've transferred me.
Thank you, I will do that. ^
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
So my father has had a stroke and I ideally I would fly out tomorrow from Chicago to London to see him. Buying a ticket outright is downright exorbitant, but there are one-way Economy Saver flights from 30k still available through United.

I need 16,750 miles to reach the 30,000 threshold. Through buying personal miles that would cost me $526.75, but it looks as though if someone were to transfer me 17,000 miles then the total transaction would cost $285 dollars.

I know i'm going to be told that is against the MileagePlan T&Cs but is there anywhere reliable that I could potentially do this? I guess the part i'm missing is that whomever would be basically gifting the miles to me at that price.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You should be able to use the award accelerator to purchase your missing RDMs for a much more attractive rate [book a refundable ticket, buy miles, cancel ticket], subject to not necessarily getting exactly how many you need.

Transferring miles is an extremely unattractive financial proposition; if you have any friends who are willing to help you out it would be much more reasonable to have them book the flight and then offer to help them out later.

But I think Award Accelerator is your best bet for something that will post in 24 hours. Hope your father is okay!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
You should be able to use the award accelerator to purchase your missing RDMs for a much more attractive rate
Should be 2 cpm.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I see a flight on Ethiopian Airlines but want to earn United miles. The fare basis shows as "HLOWIE". Does this mean it is an "H" fare and will earn me 75% of the miles flown? Am I to just disregard the other letters after the "H" for mileage earning purposes? ....
While likely a H fare, that is not 100% guaranteed. Calling ET would be the only sure way to know.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I see a flight on Ethiopian Airlines but want to earn United miles. The fare basis shows as "HLOWIE". Does this mean it is an "H" fare and will earn me 75% of the miles flown? Am I to just disregard the other letters after the "H" for mileage earning purposes?

https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=532
I can verify if you give the O&D. Guessing DUB-ADD, answer is yes (and it's almost certainly always yes):

Code:
>$LB8                                                          
                                                        HISTORY
008 DUBADD 29JUN17 ET USD  324.00 HLOWIE   STAY---/-- BK-H     
FARE CLS  EXPLANATION                            BOOK CODES    
--------  ----------------------                 ----------    
HLOWIE    LOW/OFF-PEAK SEASON ECONOMY ONE WAY       H          
HLOWIE    SPECIAL EXCURSION FARES                              
HLOWIE    FOR ONE WAY FARES                                    

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
   VIA ET  H     REQUIRED      ALL ECONOMY CABIN  WITHIN       
                               ETHIOPIA                        
   VIA MK  M     REQUIRED      ALL ECONOMY CABIN  BETWEEN      
   NBO-MRU
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by findark
I can verify if you give the O&D. Guessing DUB-ADD, answer is yes (and it's almost certainly always yes):

Code:
>$LB8                                                          
                                                        HISTORY
008 DUBADD 29JUN17 ET USD  324.00 HLOWIE   STAY---/-- BK-H     

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
                               ETHIOPIA                        
   VIA MK  M     REQUIRED      ALL ECONOMY CABIN  BETWEEN      
   NBO-MRU
It's DUB>LAX. Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's DUB>LAX. Thanks for the help.
Yes, H class if on ET metal (with some bonus info if connecting to AS). As a general rule, an Economy fare Hxxxxxx will book into H class on native metal 99% of the time (and same for other letters). Causes of unusual situations are usually where the fare and metal are from different carriers, or it's a differential fare with an extra inventory requirement (like UA domestic F or BE).

Code:
>$LB13                                                         
013 DUBLAX 30JUN17 ET USD  318.00 HLOWIE   STAY---/12MBK-H     

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
                               ETHIOPIA                        
   VIA AS  R/T   REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE  ALL ECONOMY CABIN
   VIA AS  G/K   REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE  ALL ECONOMY CABIN
   VIA AS  R/T   REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE  ALL ECONOMY CABIN
   VIA AS  G/K   REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE  ALL ECONOMY CABIN
   VIA AS  V     REQUIRED      ALL ECONOMY CABIN
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: United Gold
Move to economy plus after qualifying for Gold?

I'm planning on buying an economy ticket HNL-TYO in December. I'm not yet Gold, but I will be by the end of July. Assuming that economy plus seats are still available once I do become Gold, will I be able to change my seats to economy plus?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I'm planning on buying an economy ticket HNL-TYO in December. I'm not yet Gold, but I will be by the end of July. Assuming that economy plus seats are still available once I do become Gold, will I be able to change my seats to economy plus?

Thanks!
Yes. Obviously assuming there are openings E+ seats. (There should be).
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:27 am

Is there a thread where I can find what type of fare/airline is bookable through united.com? For instance, I was able to book an I fare to SIN on Eva, but can't book business on LH (only Polish) going to europe.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Lightbulb Is it possible to book Air New Zealand Premium Economy on United.com?

Flying SFO - AUK in July. Searching United.com I find business class ($~5.5K searching for J class) and economy (~$1K) fares only. Air New Zealand site lists premium economy fare for around $4K but I can't find a similar fare on UA (tried several fare classes but maybe I am missing the right one).

Available fare classes:J4 C4 D0 Z0 P0 Y7 B7 M7 E7 U7 H7 Q7 V7 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0

Any tips out there? Or is that $1.5K difference becasue Air NZ doesn't make that fare bookable via partners?

Like to book on united.com becasue I will get more miles by making my CC purchase there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.