Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by getagb
You could try calling the phone agent to switch the FF# from the jet bridge. Not sure if it would work though.
Haha that's a new one.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Buddy and I are meeting in JFK for follow-on TATL flight all on DL. He has many hours to wait and is a UA paid Club member, but doesn't know the answer to this question.

I can get him in the DL club when I arrive but was wondering, can he use any UA/partner clubs with a DL BP at JFK? DL lets me do this with an actual membership but not sure about UA.

If so, any suggestions on where he should visit?

Last edited by orca15; Jul 16, 2017 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by orca15
I can get him in the DL club when I arrive but was wondering, can he use any UA/partner clubs with a DL BP at JFK?
As a paid member, he can use the United Club with a boarding pass on any airline. (The same is true when using a one-time pass.)

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As a paid member, he can use the United Club with a boarding pass on any airline. (The same is true when using a one-time pass.)

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
Thanks...but...is there one at JFK? I didn't see one on their web site, but the *A website does list, for example, Lufthansa and Swiss lounges, however...

I also found this which seems to contradict, at least for partners:

As an eligible holder of Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline Business Class Lounge. Eligible paid memberships include United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide. You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport together with your valid eligible paid lounge membership card

[Added] I found this in the UC FAQs, so I think he is out of luck:

May I visit Star Alliance® lounges with my United Club membership?

United Club members may access participating Star Alliance member airline lounges with up to one guest when departing on a same-day flight on a Star Alliance carrier. Members are required to present their valid United Club card.
Happy to have someone confirm/deny with experience, though.

Last edited by orca15; Jul 16, 2017 at 12:59 pm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by orca15
... can he use any UA/partner clubs with a DL BP at JFK? ...
UC members can use any UC with any same day BP
BUT there are no UCs at JFK

And partner (*A) clubs would require a *A BP for an UC member.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UC members can use any UC with any same day BP
BUT there are no UCs at JFK

And partner (*A) clubs would require a *A BP for an UC member.
Thanks...that seems to fit what I found.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by getagb
You could try calling the phone agent to switch the FF# from the jet bridge. Not sure if it would work though.
Or print the boarding pass when check in is available and then change it.

Thanks for the thinktank!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:54 am

I booked some flights with UA on LH metal a few hours ago. I still only received an email that my booking is being processed. However, when I click the manage my booking button, it says; "United Confirmation Number XXXXX
This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers.
All customers are required to hold a valid passport or resident card to enter or transit through the United States. Many customers are also required to hold a valid visa. More information may be found in International Travel Document Requirements.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) nationals must obtain an ESTA in lieu of a U.S. visa, and comply with all other VWP rules.

This reservation was ticketed and confirmed on Mon., Jul. 17, 2017 at 11:46 a.m. Central Time."

EDIT: flights also seem to be confirmed when logging in via Miles and More. But still no email.

Is my flight confirmed or not? I'd love to proceed to book other domestic flights, but I feel I should wait until I'm 100% sure my main flights are confirmed. How responsive and approachable is UA on social media regarding questions like these?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by NiCre; Jul 17, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by NiCre
This reservation was ticketed and confirmed on Mon., Jul. 17, 2017 at 11:46 a.m. Central Time."

EDIT: flights also seem to be confirmed when logging in via Miles and More. But still no email.

Is my flight confirmed or not?
The message that your reservation was ticketed and confirmed is intended to convey that your reservation is ticketed and confirmed. The fact that you can access your reservation via Miles & More is the clincher.

I'd bet $10 the confirmation email was misrouted by an overzealous spam filter.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NiCre
I booked some flights with UA on LH metal a few hours ago. I still only received an email that my booking is being processed. However, when I click the manage my booking button, it says; "United Confirmation Number XXXXX
This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers.
All customers are required to hold a valid passport or resident card to enter or transit through the United States. Many customers are also required to hold a valid visa. More information may be found in International Travel Document Requirements.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) nationals must obtain an ESTA in lieu of a U.S. visa, and comply with all other VWP rules.

Is my flight confirmed or not? I'd love to proceed to book other domestic flights, but I feel I should wait until I'm 100% sure my main flights are confirmed. How responsive and approachable is UA on social media regarding questions like these?

Thanks a lot in advance!
You can click 'View Receipt' partway down on the reservation summary page to see the eticket summary that should have been emailed to you. If you can find an eticket number, you should be fine.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Did United remove the ability to change the frequent flyer number associated with an already booked flight?

I have two itineraries booked a few months ago, trying to change them to credit another frequent flyer program, yet don't seem to see the option when clicking around the site.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Did United remove the ability to change the frequent flyer number associated with an already booked flight?
.... .
yes - 2 years ago
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ly-2015-a.html

You can call to do this or do it at the airport.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:43 am

I'm wondering - is it possible to book a united flight, then collect a voucher refund rather than cash?

I have a credit card whose rewards are good for a single flight worth up to $500, but I'd much prefer to use that credit on multiple cheap domestic segments. I was thinking that I could book a ticket with these points, then call United and get a voucher refund that I could use on many domestic tickets.

Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, what fare class I'd need to book/when to request the refund?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allthem
Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, what fare class I'd need to book/when to request the refund?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Certainly, although there's no specific fare class that's going to do the trick. You're looking for a flexible fare (no change fee) that isn't refundable. United can file that kind of fare in any fare class.

So, look for fares in the 'flexible' column on united.com that meet your price criteria, then read the fare rules. Look at the 'refunds' and 'voluntary changes' sections for guidance (I usually search for the string 'USD' to highlight fees).

Even if you end up with a refundable fare, you can probably convince an agent to issue an ETC instead of a refund if you ask.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:58 am

aah, much appreciated jsloan! I'll definitely do that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.