FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1813056-have-simple-question-about-united-airlines-mileageplus-ask-here-2017-a.html)

ELAL Jan 1, 2017 5:48 am

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Is the following correct?

When flying for example LH FRA-MEX if ticketed with 016(UA) I will earn 5x the fare paid and if ticketed by LH I will earn the distance flown (if the booking fare earns).

If so when booking do I always need to check with who to issue? If the ticket is very expensive rather issue via UA and if very cheap rather issue using LH?

helvetic Jan 1, 2017 6:58 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 27687683)

When flying for example LH FRA-MEX if ticketed with 016(UA) I will earn 5x the fare paid and if ticketed by LH I will earn the distance flown (if the booking fare earns).

If so when booking do I always need to check with who to issue? If the ticket is very expensive rather issue via UA and if very cheap rather issue using LH?

Yup, you got it.

ELAL Jan 1, 2017 7:21 am

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 27687856)
Yup, you got it.

Bad news, meaning that all my Europe-NYC tickets which cost around 500 USD only bring me 2500 points, while flying on other airlines brings 3 times as much!

If flying UA metal with ticket issued by LH , do I get credited 5x the fare or distance flown?

mymilesandpoints Jan 1, 2017 7:50 am

on UA180 right now flying from HKG to EWR. Sitting in Y, and FAs have been excellent, bordering on asian carriers service. I've tweeted out a support statement on twitter, but what are good ways to commend FAs to make sure it gets to the right people? I also have UA Gold, do they perhaps have those slips of commendation papers that AA gives out to their elites that i can give out retroactively? Is there a website somewhere? what's the best way i can give them credit?

steveman518 Jan 1, 2017 7:53 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 27687904)
Bad news, meaning that all my Europe-NYC tickets which cost around 500 USD only bring me 2500 points, while flying on other airlines brings 3 times as much!

If flying UA metal with ticket issued by LH , do I get credited 5x the fare or distance flown?

5x-UA metal earns by spend regardless of ticketing carrier

Ronlap Jan 1, 2017 11:29 am

Topic 1:

SFO-LAS RT. On seat page, "Upgrade to United First from $61 or 20,000 miles." When I click on "View Options" the next page comes up with Buy up to United First for $154 per person SFO-LAS and No upgrade available for the LAS-SFO.

I also get emails every week about the nonexistent $61 buy up. What gives?

==============

Topic 2:

I was on flight UA 447 LAX-SFO on December 27. The aircraft suffered from pressurization problems during takeoff and many passengers were pretty uncomfortable. The pilot came on to let us know that the problem was resolved, but I suffered some minor sinus discomfort for a couple days afterwards.

That evening I took my mom to the emergency room (not related in any way to the flight) and was amazed to see two of my FAs there. I went to talk to them and was told that they were sent there for a routine followup after the flight. Interesting.

Ronlap Jan 1, 2017 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints (Post 27687984)
on UA180 right now flying from HKG to EWR. Sitting in Y, and FAs have been excellent, bordering on asian carriers service. I've tweeted out a support statement on twitter, but what are good ways to commend FAs to make sure it gets to the right people? I also have UA Gold, do they perhaps have those slips of commendation papers that AA gives out to their elites that i can give out retroactively? Is there a website somewhere? what's the best way i can give them credit?

Best bet is to get their last name and "U number" then send an email with the particulars to [email protected]

WineCountryUA Jan 1, 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 27687904)

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 27687856)

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 27687683)

Yup, you got it.

While correct when booked on 220 (LH) or any non-UA ticket stock, the LH miles if crediting to UA MP will be based on miles and not dollars, the catch is some fares (S,T,L) only earn 50% of the mileage and other fares (Q,V,W) earn 75% while K earn 0%. So the difference in earnings is less than referred to. See LH earnings credited to UA MP. Note LH was seem reduction when crediting to M&M.

The trigger on which approach is used is based on who issues the ticket UA (016 ticket stock) or someone else. Code shares do not can the situation.

Generally but not universal, the more expensive the ticket the better the UA fare approach works.

And finally, miles in program are not directly equivalent to miles in another program. Different award rules, different policy on fuel charges, different availability ... programs are different.

findark Jan 1, 2017 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ronlap (Post 27688749)
Topic 1:

SFO-LAS RT. On seat page, "Upgrade to United First from $61 or 20,000 miles." When I click on "View Options" the next page comes up with Buy up to United First for $154 per person SFO-LAS and No upgrade available for the LAS-SFO.

I also get emails every week about the nonexistent $61 buy up. What gives?

Probably typical UA IT. Between purchase and OLCI, your one and only "proper" avenue to upgrade is to pay the difference in fare. If that's $61 you can do it, but this is an area that UA has little real incentive to spend IT effort on.

Wooglin Jan 1, 2017 3:49 pm

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

I have 2 questions before I book a quick trip where I may need to SDC to a later flight just in case...

1. Can I SDC to any space available flight +/- 1 calendar day of the original departure, or only +/- 24 hours of original departure?
(e.g. original departure is 0700 Saturday, and I might need to SDC to the red-eye at 2345 Sunday)

2. I'm traveling on a Economy Saver Award, am I required to SDC into a flight with E Saver Award or can I SDC to a flight with Standard Award, or any paid E availability?

aacharya Jan 1, 2017 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Wooglin (Post 27689728)

1. Can I SDC to any space available flight +/- 1 calendar day of the original departure, or only +/- 24 hours of original departure?
(e.g. original departure is 0700 Saturday, and I might need to SDC to the red-e

2. I'm traveling on a Economy Saver Award, am I required to SDC into a flight with E Saver Award or can I SDC to a flight with Standard Award, or any paid E availability?

1. 24 hours +/- (with the minor nuance of connecting flights sometimes will be given even past that).

2. Need to have X or XN open. Usually less likely than a revenue fare being open.

WineCountryUA Jan 1, 2017 3:58 pm

(e.g. original departure is 0700 Saturday, and I might need to SDC to the red-eye at 2345 Sunday) ...[

both the original and desired flight have to be within a 24 hour window when making the request.

... 2. I'm traveling on a Economy Saver Award, am I required to SDC into a flight with E Saver Award or can I SDC to a flight with Standard Award, or any paid E availability?

Same fare class is required - so Yes, No, No

SDCing on award is possible but more difficult than other tickets due to the limited amount of saver award open near departure.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...15-2016-a.html for more on each of these.

distrips Jan 2, 2017 7:49 am

I thought one of the United premier levels allowed for same day change without fee. I dont see it listed as a benefit. Does anyone know? Trying to decide if I should buy up into my status. TIA

segiddins Jan 2, 2017 8:25 am

Originally Posted by distrips (Post 27691990)
I thought one of the United premier levels allowed for same day change without fee. I dont see it listed as a benefit. Does anyone know? Trying to decide if I should buy up into my status. TIA

Gold and up have the SDC fee waived

Ronlap Jan 2, 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by segiddins (Post 27692085)
Gold and up have the SDC fee waived

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...daychange.aspx