Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 17, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jun 13, 17, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Just to make sure - If SDC isn't available I can same-day standby, both of which is free for Gold and up. If my stand-by doesn't get confirmed, should I wait by the gate until boarding completes to hope to have it confirmed at the gate or is it hopeless and I shouldn't bother leaving the lounge if my standby isn't confirmed, say, 30mins before departure? Never done stand-by.
OK, since you've never done this before, FIRST step if SDC does not clear is to get to the gate. IIRC UC agent can put you on standby list, but I like to do it in person at the gate. An hour to 45 minutes before scheduled departure for domestic. Then I go back to UC, but only for a few minutes, or not at all if it's a long walk.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The nature of standby is you won't be confirmed in advance. Go to the gate around T-30. Ask the agent where you are on the list and how it looks. Then wait at the gate until they close the door. Unless the flight is overbooked, there's a very good chance you'll clear.
Um, if they close the door and you are not inside ..... at any rate, as Gold, you should be near #1 on standby, at least that is my experience on NON hub-hub routes.

So agree with Kacee, if flight is not oversold, there is a VERY good chance you will get on. Just check the app or screen at the gate and you will see where you are on the standby list. Back when I was 1K had a few instances where I was #1 on standby, and then snag the last FC seat once I cleared into coach

As Gold, I'm happy to clear into E+
Old Jun 13, 17, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
The nature of standby is you won't be confirmed in advance. Go to the gate around T-30. Ask the agent where you are on the list and how it looks. Then wait at the gate until they close the door. Unless the flight is overbooked, there's a very good chance you'll clear.
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
OK, since you've never done this before, FIRST step if SDC does not clear is to get to the gate. IIRC UC agent can put you on standby list, but I like to do it in person at the gate. An hour to 45 minutes before scheduled departure for domestic. Then I go back to UC, but only for a few minutes, or not at all if it's a long walk.

Um, if they close the door and you are not inside ..... at any rate, as Gold, you should be near #1 on standby, at least that is my experience on NON hub-hub routes.

So agree with Kacee, if flight is not oversold, there is a VERY good chance you will get on. Just check the app or screen at the gate and you will see where you are on the standby list. Back when I was 1K had a few instances where I was #1 on standby, and then snag the last FC seat once I cleared into coach

As Gold, I'm happy to clear into E+
awesome, thanks guys.

I have a 9h layover in my schedule but there's a flight leaving 5h in so I'm really hoping I can catch the earlier one. :P
Old Jun 13, 17, 11:13 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
While I'm not a GS and I don't know for sure, in general, applying an upgrade does not change the fare rules of the underlying ticket. In this case, I would expect that applying a GPU to one award segment would not affect the excursionist perk on the following segment, and you would only be able to get the class of service originally purchased (or lower).

In other words, it's not necessarily based on the actual class of travel of the previous segment, but rather the class (originally) booked. I'd expect the same thing as a non-GS if I were to purchase a TOD upgrade on leg 1 of my journey; if I then called UA and asked to be re-seated in J on my excursionist perk leg, I would think they'd turn me down.

You can certainly call GS and ask them, however. :-)
Yup... I'll give them a call and see. Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 14, 17, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat
AC operated by UA

If I buy an AC ticket for travel on UA metal, will I have the usual MP elite benefits on my record locator (free bag, free E+, CPU)? Booking class is U. I know I don't get PQDs.
Old Jun 14, 17, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by economyplusfan View Post
If I buy an AC ticket for travel on UA metal, will I have the usual MP elite benefits on my record locator (free bag, free E+, CPU)? Booking class is U. I know I don't get PQDs.
If on UA metal and with a UA FFP number on the record, you will receive all elite benefits as well as full PQD regardless of ticket stock.
Old Jun 14, 17, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott/SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Thank you for your earlier help! So now, sister-in-law has an Amex Plat and they haven't used the airline credit yet. I found the Amex reimbursement thread for UA. My brother has selected UA for Amex airline, set up a gift registry and when he gets home will fund it with $200.

Now - it seems that he can then use this gift registry to pay for his E+ seat. That would be fantastic.
I am still hoping that LH J saver space opens up a few days before he needs to take this flight. Since I have paid 65K for a standard coach ticket - switching to 70K for J is a no-brainer even if we will incur the cancellation fee.

But - and here is my question (finally!) - how will the seat upgrade be refunded if we cancel this ticket? Long-shot - but I like to be prepared ;-)

Thank you!
Old Jun 14, 17, 5:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by findark View Post
If on UA metal and with a UA FFP number on the record, you will receive all elite benefits as well as full PQD regardless of ticket stock.
I can confirm this from personal experience.

Three segments in each direction with only segments on AC the YYJ-YVR puddlejumper and got full PQD, PQM and a handful RDMs (even as 1K full RDMs added up to a handful) when AC had a nice sale. IIRC even got an upgrade on couple of UA segments - though I was 1K at the time.
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Is it possible to transfer from United MileagePlus to other airline or hotel programs? If so, which are the best redemptions?

Also, Washington DC to Europe on United Miles is 60k through United round trip. Any way to get it for around 50-55k?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Omer View Post
Is it possible to transfer from United MileagePlus to other airline or hotel programs?
The only place you can transfer them to is Marriott using RewardsPlus. However, you can use your Mileage Plus miles to book awards on any Star Alliance carrier, hotels, rental cars, and cruises, and to purchase merchandise.

Originally Posted by Omer View Post
Washington DC to Europe on United Miles is 60k through United round trip. Any way to get it for around 50-55k?
United occasionally has mileage sales, but there's no way to predict when.
Old Jun 14, 17, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K (ex-GS), Marriott Titanium (lifetime Plat), Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
The only place you can transfer them to is Marriott using RewardsPlus.
Worth noting that once you transfer to Mariott, you can transfer to Starwood and then to a variety of other places at decent rates. However, you typically lose a lot of value in the initial Marriott transfer.
Old Jun 15, 17, 1:07 am

Programs: DL UA AS
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Use two browsers and do the work in parallel. The risk is that something happens with the algorithms when you book the revenue or the award flight and increases the fare or reduces the business availability.

In your specific case, more likely that the award gets pulled if you book a business fare ticket, so I'd ticket the award first. Or use some tricks to hold the award or the cash ticket while you book the other.

Either way, you have 24 hours to cancel if something goes amiss.
If by "same itinerary" you mean purchase the same flights for the same days, one with cash, one with miles, that's not a problem. But the two tickets (yours and your wife's) cannot be put on the same PNR (which is commonly described as an "itinerary").
Thank you both for the advice. Kacee that is what I meant.
Old Jun 15, 17, 7:54 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Is there a reasonable cost/miles to add a positioning flight if a SA later becomes available? Or is it merely the cost in miles?

Currently, it's not and I don't want to lose my very much preferred international nonstop. So ideally, I'd book the main leg of our itinerary and wait to see if a SA from our home airport pops up, call United and have the flight added to our same day itinerary. If there's no miles savings, I guess I'll have to weigh using another 20k vs driving 4hrs.
Old Jun 15, 17, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by elsenor View Post
Is there a reasonable cost/miles to add a positioning flight if a SA later becomes available? Or is it merely the cost in miles?
You could either book a new award, thus paying in miles, or pay the change fee in cash. The change fee depends on your status and how far in advance of the flight you make the change.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx
Old Jun 16, 17, 6:03 pm

Programs: None anymore
Hi all!

I was originally booked to fly in P SFO-ICN but due to ATC in SFO missed a connection and missed my flight. I got changed to Asiana in P later that day.

When I received miles I only got 100% PQM. P on United usually gets 200% PQM. Do you think I should be able to get a manual change to credit me the 200% PQM, since I was originally booked on United not Asiana?
Old Jun 16, 17, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Hi all!

I was originally booked to fly in P SFO-ICN but due to ATC in SFO missed a connection and missed my flight. I got changed to Asiana in P later that day.

When I received miles I only got 100% PQM. P on United usually gets 200% PQM. Do you think I should be able to get a manual change to credit me the 200% PQM, since I was originally booked on United not Asiana?
I'd expect so; write in and request Original Routing Credit.

Search this Thread