Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've just made a UA booking using my Air NZ Airpoints # as the FPP with a 2nd person who's got no *A status on the PNR.

As *G I get the first bag free but the wording of the booking confirmation infers (to me at least) that both passengers will get the 1st bag free.

Can anybody confirm is this is the case or whether (as expected) I'll need to pay for the bag for the 2nd pax at check-in?
All passengers on a common PNR will receive the *G bag waiver when checking-in with UA.
For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rnational.html
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Total UA noob question: are there any 738 birds in the UA fleet that have new (First) seats and a modern cabin? I did a Google search and only found old/worn seats/cabins.
There are a few 738s which are new and have the Sky interior. None of them have the new F seat, and indeed most of them are on the older side.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:32 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Have another MP Premier qualification question. On the MP web site there is a section about qualification and validity period:

Premier status membership period

Once you qualify for a Premier status, the status is valid from the date when you qualified through the end of the following Program year.

For example, if you meet the four flight segment minimum, earn 25,000 PQM and earn $3,000 PQD on June 1, you will reach Premier Silver status on that date, and it will be valid through the end of the Program year.

source
As I read it, the first line says that if I take a trip this year (2017) October/November and reach 25k PQM, have $3k PQD and four segments on UA/UAX metal, I would qualify for MP Silver through the end of 2018.

However, the second line with the example sounds like it would only be through the end of 2017.

Which is it?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1984SW
As I read it, the first line says that if I take a trip this year (2017) October/November and reach 25k PQM, have $3k PQD and four segments on UA/UAX metal, I would qualify for MP Silver through the end of 2018.

However, the second line with the example sounds like it would only be through the end of 2017.

Which is it?
If you earn status in 2017, it will be good until 31 Jan 2019.

Activity in 2017 is earning for Program Year 2018. Since many come into 2017 with status, we are focused on re-earning that status for 2018.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:50 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you earn status in 2017, it will be good until 31 Jan 2019.

Activity in 2017 is earning for Program Year 2018. Since many come into 2017 with status, we are focused on re-earning that status for 2018.
Well, that's a bit of fresh air! ^

So I would have Premier Silver status from November 2017 (upon qualification) through to 31 January 2019? (Just making sure I've got this right, this time.)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 1984SW

So I would have Premier Silver status from November 2017 (upon qualification) through to 31 January 2019? (Just making sure I've got this right, this time.)
You got it right.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
There have been other similiar reports of this, it is believe it is to free space in regular economy potentially due to Basic Economy passengers. Better to bump regular economy customers to E+ versus placing the Basic Economy ssengersin E+ at the gate. And it generate some good will.
That was my second thought about the reasoning behind it Unfortunately for her she did not have the free option on her second leg of the trip.

But makes sense though as leg 1 was a 772 and leg 2 was a 739
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by findark
There are a few 738s which are new and have the Sky interior. None of them have the new F seat, and indeed most of them are on the older side.
Thanks for your reply, findark. ^
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
If I travel on Turkish Airlines Codeshare Flights from HKG-AKL return operated by Air New Zealand in D Class. Do I qualify for the 200% Mileage Plus Premier Qualification on Air New Zealand or the 100% that Turkish Airlines offer?

Much appreciate your help
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Trappy
If I travel on Turkish Airlines Codeshare Flights from HKG-AKL return operated by Air New Zealand in D Class. Do I qualify for the 200% Mileage Plus Premier Qualification on Air New Zealand or the 100% that Turkish Airlines offer?....
For *A, it is the flight operator that matters for determining flight credit. It is also the flight operator's fare class that matters, not the codeshare's fare class.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
For *A, it is the flight operator that matters for determining flight credit. It is also the flight operator's fare class that matters, not the codeshare's fare class.
So Expedia shows the Turkish Codeshare Flight and booking class D, is there a way to check that this corresponds to Air New Zealand Class D?

Many thanks
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:08 pm

So Expedia shows the Turkish Codeshare Flight and booking class D, is there a way to check that this corresponds to Air New Zealand Class D? ....
Only easy way is to call the operating carrier after ticketing. But all the business fares on NZ earn at least 200% PQMs (a improvement last year from the previous 100%).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So Expedia shows the Turkish Codeshare Flight and booking class D, is there a way to check that this corresponds to Air New Zealand Class D?

Many thanks
It's either J or Z, and I'm not even sure because I don't know the resolution for a codeshare flight. (If booking onto a native flight number, it will price in J if available and Z otherwise).

Code:
IF VIA TK                      D- FARES                        
   VIA NZ  J     REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE  BETWEEN AKL-HKG 
IF VIA TK                      D- FARES                        
   VIA NZ  Z     REQUIRED      BETWEEN AKL-HKG
But as WineCountryUA helpfully points out, you will earn 200% pretty much no matter what.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Friend is 1k for life but not MM yet

I have a friend who was a CO Onepass Infinite Platinum & was granted 1k for life during the merger. However, he is sitting at 750,000 miles so he has not made 1MM yet. He isn't really in tune with all the FF benefits, so he can't really answer when I ask him what benefits he gets.

My question is does he have to reach 1MM to get the companion benefit, or does he already have it and not realize it. Also, does he get any RPU's or GPU's, or would he have to reach 1MM (or 3MM) for that.

Not sure where to refer him since his situation is unique.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I have a friend who was a CO Onepass Infinite Platinum & was granted 1k for life during the merger. However, he is sitting at 750,000 miles so he has not made 1MM yet. He isn't really in tune with all the FF benefits, so he can't really answer when I ask him what benefits he gets.

My question is does he have to reach 1MM to get the companion benefit, or does he already have it and not realize it. ...
Suspect no companion benefit for previous Infinite Elites but easy to determine, go to www.united.com/MMcompanion to check eliblity

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-benefit.html

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Also, does he get any RPU's or GPU's, or would he have to reach 1MM (or 3MM) for that. ....
Your friend should be able to tell that by looking at his account if any have been deposited
This was posted by another member
Originally Posted by raehl311
thought Lifetime status folks did receive RPUs/GPUs if not earned by actual PQM activity
If you're there from MM status, yes, if you're one of the infinite elites who got converted to lifetime 1K, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.