Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's showing on mine.
Maybe I found the problem. Searching for upgradeable fares then it doesn't show. Searching for
"regular" fares it shows. So, it seems, all is good. Thanks all.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
how to fly lufthansa 1st class with 45000 miles?

Hi, I'm a newbie. i watched one Youtuber fly Lufthansa Frankfurt to Bangalore 1st class by using 45000 united miles and 150 dollars. i would like to know how he do it because i only found 45000 miles is for business class. did he redeem for business class and got upgrade afterward?

thanks
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by troytos
i watched one Youtuber fly Lufthansa Frankfurt to Bangalore 1st class by using 45000 united miles and 150 dollars. i would like to know how he do it because i only found 45000 miles is for business class.
I wouldn't be surpised if the YouTuber doesn't know the difference, and was fooled by the name "BusinessFirst". Can you post the youtube.com link?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Hi, I'm a newbie.
Welcome to FT!, troytos

i watched one Youtuber fly Lufthansa Frankfurt to Bangalore 1st class by using 45000 united miles and 150 dollars. i would like to know how he do it because i only found 45000 miles is for business class. did he redeem for business class and got upgrade afterward? ...
Did the poster mention what program miles were used? United MileagePlus or Lufthansa Miles & More or ????

UA MP does offer Europe to Central Asia (in business class partner aircraft) for 45,000 UA MP miles and taxes.

Perhaps the individual received a rare operational upgrade from LH.

It is additional 40,000 miles (not 45K) to use UA MP miles to upgrade from paid business class to 3-class on LH for Europe to Central Asia. This is called a Star Alliance upgrade and can only be done on expensive business fares.

I wouldn't be surpised if the YouTuber doesn't know the difference, and was fooled by the name "BusinessFirst". ...
Not likely on LH.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Is there a carryon weight limit on UA flights to PEK?

My son and his wife are flying IAD-PEK and need to know if UA has a weight limit for carryon bags on such TPAC flights and, if so, is it enforced. There's no indication of a weight limit on the UA website page about carryon baggage. They have no status. Advice would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mglvrug
My son and his wife are flying IAD-PEK and need to know if UA has a weight limit for carryon bags on such TPAC flights and, if so, is it enforced. There's no indication of a weight limit on the UA website page about carryon baggage. They have no status. Advice would be much appreciated.
There is no carry-on weight limit for any UA operated flights. Some of UA's partner airlines do have carry-on weight limits.

Note -- you need to be able to manage the bag yourself without any crew assistance.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not likely on LH.
Oops, my bad.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
There is no carry-on weight limit for any UA operated flights. Some of UA's partner airlines do have carry-on weight limits
Thanks so much!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mglvrug
My son and his wife are flying IAD-PEK and need to know if UA has a weight limit for carryon bags on such TPAC flights and, if so, is it enforced.
Carry-ons on UA are subject to size limitations, not weight restrictions.

Theoretically they can require a gate-check for any reason, but unless you've got a rollaboard full of gold bullion I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
the link that i'm talking about.

I wouldn't be surpised if the YouTuber doesn't know the difference, and was fooled by the name "BusinessFirst". Can you post the youtube.com link?
this is the link Sir,

Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Are RPU's valid for U.S. to Mexico flights?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Are RPU's valid for U.S. to Mexico flights?
Yes -- documented here
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
thank you
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
this is the link Sir,
26 minutes? No thanks

The cost for LH F on that route using UA miles is 60,000 miles. If the YouTuber gave a different number, that was wrong.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
If I'm flying, say, DFW-ORD-BWI and misconnect at ORD, will UA let me hop on an earlier flight to coterminals DCA or IAD or make me wait until the next ORD-BWI flight?

Frequency into BWI is pretty low, and I don't want to end up on the midnight arrival to BWI if I misconnect.

Assume a real misconnect here - not trying to game the system to change destination or anything.

Last edited by shutter41; Jun 25, 2017 at 9:56 pm Reason: Typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.