Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
My friend and I are on separate reservations but same flight. I know I can call and have him get to E+ with me for free. If my GPU goes through and I move to J it won't boot him back, right?
I know when I was already in F that they wouldn't move to E+ in the past.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
My friend and I are on separate reservations but same flight. I know I can call and have him get to E+ with me for free. If my GPU goes through and I move to J it won't boot him back, right? ...
Not automatically but if a seat sweep / schedule change occurs likely will lose the seat (if you are upgraded or not).
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:25 pm

I don't know where to post this but it is fairly urgent so I would appreciate any input.

I am on ua59 FRA-SFO. We are currently in ORD to recrew because we left FRA late. Our second FO timed out due to ORD ground stop but they are attempting to get another one. It's still unclear whether we will get to SFO tonight. For now we aren't allowed to leave and clear customs but that still may happen.

I had a connecting flight to SLC so I could attend a funeral in the morning. Obviously I have missed that flight.

Delta has flights tomorrow morning both from SFO and ORD that would get me to SLC to possibly attend part of the service (which is the whole point of this TATL trip). But I currently don't know which city I will be in tomorrow morning. United flights from either city arrive too late to attend any portion of the funeral.

If I purchase refundable fares from both cities while I wait on the ground here, will united reimburse me for whichever flight I do take? This is an award flight.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by princeville
If I purchase refundable fares from both cities while I wait on the ground here, will united reimburse me for whichever flight I do take? This is an award flight.
Sorry to hear about this, what a bummer.

Unfortunately, UA will not reimburse you for a ticket you purchase on another airline. They can endorse your UA ticket over to DL, though the fact that you're on an award will make that a tougher sell.

The walkup fare for SFO-SLC on DL is not as bad as you might think . . . looks like the 6 a.m. can be had for $320.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know where to post this but it is fairly urgent so I would appreciate any input.

I am on ua59 FRA-SFO. We are currently in ORD to recrew because we left FRA late. Our second FO timed out due to ORD ground stop but they are attempting to get another one. It's still unclear whether we will get to SFO tonight. For now we aren't allowed to leave and clear customs but that still may happen.

I had a connecting flight to SLC so I could attend a funeral in the morning. Obviously I have missed that flight.

Delta has flights tomorrow morning both from SFO and ORD that would get me to SLC to possibly attend part of the service (which is the whole point of this TATL trip). But I currently don't know which city I will be in tomorrow morning. United flights from either city arrive too late to attend any portion of the funeral.

You may have better luck simply buying a walk-up on any airline (as Kacee suggests) and then complaining to UA about the poor operational performance on your original itinerary—and hoping for a travel credit to make up for your re-accommodation. If you do write, obviously ORD's thunderstorms are outside of UA's control, so you should focus on the FRA delay.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
You may have better luck simply buying a walk-up on any airline (as Kacee suggests) and then complaining to UA about the poor operational performance on your original itinerary—and hoping for a travel credit to make up for your re-accommodation. If you do write, obviously ORD's thunderstorms are outside of UA's control, so you should focus on the FRA delay.
And if you are forced to overnight (at either ORD or SFO) ask for a hotel voucher, and if you don't get one, submit your hotel receipt for reimbursement (which will come in the form of a travel cert).
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry to hear about this, what a bummer.

Unfortunately, UA will not reimburse you for a ticket you purchase on another airline. They can endorse your UA ticket over to DL, though the fact that you're on an award will make that a tougher sell.

The walkup fare for SFO-SLC on DL is not as bad as you might think . . . looks like the 6 a.m. can be had for $320.
Thank you - it's good just to know what to expect.

That fare isnt bad, I just hesitate to buy a non refundable flight when it's still unclear if I'll make it to SFO at all. Hoping there will still be availability if/when I arrive. It's really been a Murphy's law kind of flight!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... If I purchase refundable fares from both cities while I wait on the ground here, will united reimburse me for whichever flight I do take? This is an award flight.
As others have mentioned, doing an independent booking without involving UA, is a sure way to eat all the costs yourself.

Just to verify, the travel to SLC from FRA is all on one ticket?

If they overnight yu in ORD, then of course you want to go direct to SLC there is 9AM (ORD) to SLC (11:37) -- there is probably the best case for you. UA's earliest SFO to SLC is 8AM getting in at 11:07 AM

If you can get re-route via DL (challenging for a award ticket when UA options exist) might get you in an hour earlier.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
UA995 equipment swap

I’m on UA995 SFO-ORD tonight (June 19). There was an equipment swap and my seat was changed. I remember the old flight having a similar configuration (2-4-2 lie-flat in J) but another passenger mentioned the original flight had the new Polaris seats.

A few questions…
  1. How can I look up the old configuration to see who’s right?
  2. If an equipment swap goes from new Polaris seats to older lie flat seats, should I expect any compensation like when an equipment change switches lie flat to BarcaLounger?
  3. Is there a way for me to check the historical frequency of equipment swaps on this route?
as always, thanks for your help 👍🏼
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by getagb
I’m on UA995 SFO-ORD tonight (June 19). There was an equipment swap and my seat was changed. I remember the old flight having a similar configuration (2-4-2 lie-flat in J) but another passenger mentioned the original flight had the new Polaris seats.
This is the Hawaii 772 and there are two versions

[*]How can I look up the old configuration to see who’s right?
tail number history is here
There have been multiple tail number changes in the past week

But no 77Ws.
...[*]If an equipment swap goes from new Polaris seats to older lie flat seats, should I expect any compensation like when an equipment change switches lie flat to BarcaLounger?...
lie flat to lie flat, doubtful -- especiall for a domestic routing

As for change frequency, never have seen a tracking of that.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A few questions…
  1. How can I look up the old configuration to see who’s right?
  2. If an equipment swap goes from new Polaris seats to older lie flat seats, should I expect any compensation like when an equipment change switches lie flat to BarcaLounger?
  3. Is there a way for me to check the historical frequency of equipment swaps on this route?
(bah, ninja'ed, as always, by WineCountryUA )

- FlightStats has a history of tail assignments for the flight. In this case, it looks like it had a number of different assignments, but none of them were 77W. It did have a 3-class 772 assigned for about 45 minutes, which would have done an excellent job of scrambling everyone's assigned seat. This doesn't go back and show you the scheduled seatmap, but that was almost certainly 77G (2-4-2 F).

- I would not expect compensation for Polaris seat swapped to a different lie-flat product. You could hypothetically argue it constitutes "change of equipment" to get a change fee waived to a different flight.

- I don't think there is an easy way, but the 77Gs on SFO/ORD have been swapping a lot recently.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:15 am

Hawaiian 777-200 Flight

I am flying nonstop ORD-HNL with my wife on the new 3-4-3 (god awful, I know), and I am looking for some advice on E+ seats that are still available for my flight.

E+ seats that are available:
  • 16F, 16G bulkhead seats
  • 39 AB, 39 KL exit row seats
  • Lots of 4-seat middle sections still completely open
  • Lots of 3-seat rows on the sides open as well

Bulkhead and exit rows sound great with the leg room, but I am a bit worried about further reducing my seat width with the tray table in my armrest. The 4 seat middle sections in E+ have tons of openings, making me somewhat hopeful that it will not be a full flight and I could end up next to an empty seat.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
I have enough miles for a one way flight.

Can I book a flight, one way with miles and the return with cash?

Or can I can I upgrade both flights purchases with cash using miles to E+?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by energydj
Can I book a flight, one way with miles and the return with cash?
If it's domestic (i.e., US), probably, as most domestic flights are priced as one-ways. If it's international, probably will be cost prohibitive to purchase a one-way with cash, as only very expensive fares are sold as one-ways.

Originally Posted by energydj
Or can I can I upgrade both flights purchases with cash using miles to E+?
Yes. Not technically an "upgrade" just the purchase of a seat with extra legroom.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by MikeW_ORD
I am flying nonstop ORD-HNL with my wife on the new 3-4-3 (god awful, I know), and I am looking for some advice on E+ seats that are still available for my flight.

E+ seats that are available:
  • 16F, 16G bulkhead seats
  • 39 AB, 39 KL exit row seats
  • Lots of 4-seat middle sections still completely open
  • Lots of 3-seat rows on the sides open as well

Bulkhead and exit rows sound great with the leg room, but I am a bit worried about further reducing my seat width with the tray table in my armrest. The 4 seat middle sections in E+ have tons of openings, making me somewhat hopeful that it will not be a full flight and I could end up next to an empty seat.
Welcome to FT. Here is a long thread with all the information you are looking for.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=22732

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.