Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Kind of a simple question -

Wife and I are flying J class IAD-MAD in a couple weeks. Need to plug in a standard AC power plug. Is there a power outlet at the seats? Will we find it also in Y?
All UA's business seats have a dedicated AC power outlet for each passenger.

The IAD-MAD non-stop is generally flown using 757-200 / 752 and all economy seats have access to AC power -- 2 outlets are shared among each 3-seat set.
This is true for most UA TATL flights -- the one to look out for is the 3-class 767-300/763, no AC for economy (but business/First have power)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2017 at 9:12 pm Reason: 763 exception
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:37 am

Thank you, all
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Kind of a simple question -

Wife and I are flying J class IAD-MAD in a couple weeks. Need to plug in a standard AC power plug. Is there a power outlet at the seats? Will we find it also in Y?
One quirk about UA's power ports: they're over the shoulder in J, and after years of use, they're extremely loose. As a result, especially when used with two-prong USA-style plugs, things tend to fall out. But there's an easy fix: buy a set of adapters and use the large, three-pronged British adapter in the UA universal port. The fit is far more snug. Then just plug your device into the adapter.

Last edited by RandomBaritone; Jul 31, 2017 at 9:01 am Reason: Updated info
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:01 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
buy a set of adapters and use the large, three-pronged British adapter in the UA universal port. The fit is far more snug.
You can use the EUROPEAN three prong. Not sure but English is so much larger it may not fit, but I've never tried one.

The other plus is that it may charge a bit faster, since it'll be drawing 220v current.
Um, no, you can only run 110 or 220 over one set of wires, it does not switch.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I have a Saver UA domestic award IAD-SFO-IAD

Leave on a Wed, return Tuesday redeye

Two questions

Would UA allow me to change (assuming saver award availability) outbound say from Wed to Friday

and/or Change Tuesday return from a red eye to an earlier flight that day?

I have no status

Both legs are Saver Awards

Is there a fee for this? if so, what is the fee?

thanks

Edit to say

it appears it will be $125 to do this once so if I want to do both, I better do them on the same call - correct? or get charged another $125?
Follow-up due to change of aircraft

So I check seating assignments again like I do on a daily basis and notice that my GF lost her seat assignment and none are left in the non E+ section. WThe.. and then check mine and sure enough my aisle is gone

Get the dreaded email, aircraft swap although it is from a 738 to a 738 - I am guessing that there are different versions of the 738? and now I'm unassigned.

So what is the best strategy now to get a seat assignment?

Since I don't have a seat (nor does my GF); our PNR's are not linked (should I call to link them?) should I just wait it out and see if they will assign us to E+ or should I be proactive and keep looking and tomorrow (Tue) at the T-24 mark (or even before that) start looking?

At what point might we be able to select E+ for free (if any) or is that just not likely to happen?

thx
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Since I don't have a seat (nor does my GF); our PNR's are not linked (should I call to link them?) should I just wait it out and see if they will assign us to E+ or should I be proactive and keep looking and tomorrow (Tue) at the T-24 mark (or even before that) start looking?

At what point might we be able to select E+ for free (if any) or is that just not likely to happen?

thx
Linking PNRs doesn't accomplish much, if anything; the agent will put a note into the human-readable section of the PNR, but (a) that doesn't guarantee anyone else will ever read it, and (b) none of the automated systems that handle most seat assignment will heed it. It can't hurt, but it's not particularly likely to help, either.

Seats may open up at T-24 or thereabouts, as Silver members are allowed free E+ at check-in. For that reason, UA is unlikely to assign you free E+ seats in advance, as they know that some seats will open. Some people have reported the (surprise) ability to select E+ for free during the check-in process; it may have something to do with the number of Basic Economy passengers on the flight. In general, though, UA will not allow you to select E+ for free, but they may assign you E+ at the gate.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
You can use the EUROPEAN three prong. Not sure but English is so much larger it may not fit, but I've never tried one.
Not sure I follow. As I thought I made clear in my post, I regularly use the UK plug, which in my experience is far more stable than the two-prong outlets used by universal power ports to accommodate devices from the US or continental Europe, both of which tend to fall out.

Why would you suggest that a UK plug wouldn't fit, given that the power port is made to accommodate UK plugs?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:02 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Why would you suggest that a UK plug wouldn't fit, given that the power port is made to accommodate UK plugs?
I suggested I have not tried it.

What I am sure about is that you can only have 110 volts, as wires are not capable of running both 220 and 110.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:34 am

I suggested I have not tried it.
Thanks for clarifying. Your post, in particular the use of ALL CAPS on the word "European" appeared intended to contradict my suggestion.

What I am sure about is that you can only have 110 volts, as wires are not capable of running both 220 and 110.
Good point! As you can see in my post, I deleted that wayward bit of misinformation -- which I had been given by a well-meaning but clearly confused FA -- half an hour ago.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:03 am

Award Booking Fee

Hi,

I booked a domestic award earlier today for travel within 21 days for two people. I am *S and a MP club card holder. What award booking charges should I expect?

At first I got charged 2x $100 "Award Booking Fees". Called in and got those refunded but the rep insisted on charging me 2x $50 for the booking saying this is different from close-in fees. Is it?

Thanks much.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by fly046
Hi,

I booked a domestic award earlier today for travel within 21 days for two people. I am *S and a MP club card holder. What award booking charges should I expect?

At first I got charged 2x $100 "Award Booking Fees". Called in and got those refunded but the rep insisted on charging me 2x $50 for the booking saying this is different from close-in fees. Is it?
Did you call to book the tickets in the first place? If so, you are indeed subject to a $25 fee per ticket, unless you're able to convince the agent that for some reason the itinerary wasn't bookabke online, the website was down, etc.

Had you not been a Club cardholder, as a Silver you would also have been liable for a further $50/ticket fee, for a total of $75/ticket. But your currrent Club cardholder status allows you to have that fee waived, so your total out-of-pocket should be $25/ticket.

Unless you initially booked online, in which case you shouldn't have been charged anything except the miles.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But your currrent Club cardholder status allows you to have that fee waived, so your total out-of-pocket should be $25/ticket.

Unless you initially booked online, in which case you shouldn't have been charged anything except the miles.
Here's the applicable item from the card terms & conditions:

CLOSE-IN FEE WAIVER
The primary Cardmember will receive a close-in booking fee waiver on award tickets booked less than 21 days before departure, including award tickets booked by the primary Cardmember for an authorized user(s), under the primary Cardmember's MileagePlus number. To receive a close-in booking fee waiver, be sure to provide the primary Cardmember's MileagePlus number before you start the award booking process. Award booking under an authorized user's MileagePlus number will not receive this benefit. Close-in booking fee waiver is only available on United- and United Express-operated flights; codeshare partner-operated flights are not eligible. Chase is not responsible for the provision of, or failure to provide, close-in booking fee waivers. For more information on award travel, please visit united.com/awards
The way I read that, it's possible that the intent is only to waive the fees when the passenger traveling is an authorized card user. OP: Were both travelers authorized users of the card?

I don't understand 2x$100 "Award Booking Fees." The only $100 fees on the chart are for a UA Silver making a change within 61 days, or for a general member making a change to a pre-Oct 6, 2016 booking. A new booking should be $75 for a general member or $50 for a UA Silver (but perhaps waived for a Club card holder, as described). OP: You say *S -- are you UA Silver or *S via a different program? Is this a new booking or a change of an older booking? If an older booking, was it before or after October 6, 2016 (the fees changed)?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Here's the applicable item from the card terms & conditions:

The way I read that, it's possible that the intent is only to waive the fees when the passenger traveling is an authorized card user. OP: Were both travelers authorized users of the card?

I don't understand 2x$100 "Award Booking Fees." The only $100 fees on the chart are for a UA Silver making a change within 61 days, or for a general member making a change to a pre-Oct 6, 2016 booking. A new booking should be $75 for a general member or $50 for a UA Silver (but perhaps waived for a Club card holder, as described). OP: You say *S -- are you UA Silver or *S via a different program? Is this a new booking or a change of an older booking? If an older booking, was it before or after October 6, 2016 (the fees changed)?
The award was booked online last Sunday 7/30 and farelocked until I made the purchase earlier today 8/1. Departure date is 8/21. May be farelock across the 21 day threshold is a factor here for the 2x $100.

None of the reps understood the 2x $100 and were willing to refund except charging me for the 2x $50 saying those are separate from close-in booking fees.

It's IAD-JAC so all UA. I am UA Silver. I am the club card holder and she is an authorized user. The reservation shows my two free checked bags so it is recognizing my card status.

I wasn't really expecting any service fees for this booking.

At the end of day, my question really is aren't Award Booking Fees within 21 days the same as close-in booking fees?

Thanks for the all the help.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: United Premier Silver
Do you guys know how I'd go about getting a receipt for an on-board food/bev purchase? Normally I buy F and don't have to use my card to purchase. But a vendor's travel agent booked me for my last trip SFO-IAH and I was in coach.

I bought some food and drinks and used my company card which I have to give a receipt for. When I asked the FA she said they don't give out receipts and to "try united.com"...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Do you guys know how I'd go about getting a receipt for an on-board food/bev purchase?
https://inflightreceipts.ual.com/en/us/Home/Index

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.