Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC
So quick question. Flying in Polaris Business to HKG from SFO.

What lounges will I have access to? Seems like the new polaris lounge will not be ready but hoping for something nicer than the normal club.

Did a search but not coming up with much info.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
If you purchase a UA itinerary with a MP Explorer card and upgrade to a Club card before the trip takes place, do you still receive the card benefits from the card at booking (meaning 1 piece of baggage and Premier Access)?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by canforce
hoping for something nicer than the normal club.
Hope springs eternal. Sorry, but the UC is your only option. (Unless the SQ and BR lounges are still open, but aren't they shut down for the Polaris lounge build?)
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canforce
So quick question. Flying in Polaris Business to HKG from SFO.

What lounges will I have access to? Seems like the new polaris lounge will not be ready but hoping for something nicer than the normal club.

Did a search but not coming up with much info.
Do you have an Amex Platinum card? Because that'll probably be one of the nicest lounges at SFO regardless of what airline or class of service you're flying
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:12 am

Questions re-using ANA website vs United website for a booking

I recently booked SEA-SIN (transfer at SFO, all on United) and DEL-SEA (transfer at NRT, all on ANA) for a two week trip in September 2017.

I booked through United. And the reservation shows the mileage earning as below:

Award miles: 2,275
which is split as below:
SEA - SFO: 140 (booking class L)
SFO - SIN: 1,720 (booking class L)
DEL - NRT: 180 (booking class K)
NRT - SEA: 235 (booking class K)

For a similar itinerary (but not the same because ANA website shows only itineraries that include NRT or HND) on ANA's website, they say the Flight Miles is 4,953 Miles (Per person).

The cost was not too different on both websites, about US$530.

1. Does this mean, if I had booked this on ANA's website instead of United, and credited the miles to United, I'd have received 4953 miles instead of 2275?

2. How does one book through ANA for an itinerary that doesn't involve NRT/HND, ie the SEA-SFO-SIN flight ? Telephone only?

Thank you for helping me learn.

Last edited by dministrator; Aug 9, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by dministrator
I recently booked SEA-SIN (transfer at SFO, all on United) and DEL-SEA (transfer at NRT, all on ANA) for a two week trip in September 2017.

I booked through United. And the reservation shows the mileage earning as below:

which is split as below:

For a similar itinerary (but not the same because ANA website shows only itineraries that include NRT or HND) on ANA's website, they say the Flight Miles is 4,953 Miles (Per person).

1. Does this mean, if I had booked this on ANA's website instead of United, and credited the miles to United, would I have received 4953 miles instead of 2275?

2. How does one book through ANA for an itinerary that doesn't involve NRT/HND, ie the SEA-SFO-SIN flight ? Telephone only?

Booking on United earns Award Miles based on the price you pay. 5x the base fare (before tax/fees). (Plus a bonus if you are a United Premier Member).

If you had booked the flights on ANA, and credited them to UA, you would have earned miles based on distance, but with a multiplier based on fare.

In your example above, the L fare segments would earn 50% of the travel miles for each segment, and the K fare would earn 25% of miles traveled.

Somebody else will have to comment on question 2.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

which is split as below:

1. Does this mean, if I had booked this on ANA's website instead of United, and credited the miles to United, I'd have received 4953 miles instead of 2275?

For the second point - Airlines will sometimes offer flights that are on partner metal and not going through their hubs at all as a codeshare on their website - e.g. AA sells YVR-TYO roundtrips operated by JAL on their website as AA-marketed, which is all sorts of weird.

It's very much routing-dependent, some are offered some aren't. best way to do it would probably try doing a multi-city booking on ANA's website directly and see if you can select the partner flight.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Wooglin
Booking on United earns Award Miles based on the price you pay. 5x the base fare (before tax/fees). (Plus a bonus if you are a United Premier Member).

If you had booked the flights on ANA, and credited them to UA, you would have earned miles based on distance, but with a multiplier based on fare.

In your example above, the L fare segments would earn 50% of the travel miles for each segment, and the K fare would earn 25% of miles traveled.
Thank you Wooglin. In this particular example, would I have done better, if the trip was ticketed using ANA's website? I have no status with any airline.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In this particular example, would I have done better, if the trip was ticketed using ANA's website? I have no status with any airline.
Accruals for UA operated flights are calculated the same regardless who issues the ticket.

If ticketed by NH, the NH operated segments would have accrued at 50% of miles flown for the L and 25% for the K.

The way to dodge these low UA earnings on cheap tickets is to either (i) fly a different airline, or (ii) accrue to a different program (e.g., Singapore Air's KrisFlyer).
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: United, American, JetBlue
Hi everyone - Does United have any airline partners that would allow taking advantage of the excursionist perk on an award trip to Australia? Would like to fly in to SYD and home from MEL...and it'd be even better value if I could get that SYD to MEL flight included in the award ticket.
Thanks, Andy
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Andy the sometimes flyer
Hi everyone - Does United have any airline partners that would allow taking advantage of the excursionist perk on an award trip to Australia? Would like to fly in to SYD and home from MEL...and it'd be even better value if I could get that SYD to MEL flight included in the award ticket.
There are no *A airlines for that route.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There are no *A airlines for that route.
I mean, there IS SYD-AKL-MEL... but yeah
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: United, American, JetBlue
Thanks - that's what I was afraid of but just wanted to reach out and check.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:52 pm

I paid for a domestic UA metal r/t, but I don't see the complimentary upgrade blue arrow. Other similar reservations do. Why is that?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by randomdude
I paid for a domestic UA metal r/t, but I don't see the complimentary upgrade blue arrow. Other similar reservations do. Why is that?
A few thoughts:

Is the route one of the specific "ineligible for CPU" routes?

Does the Traveler Info on the reservation have your MP number and status listed next to your name?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.