Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BThumme
Is it possible to book Economy one way but business another?

Would like to do DTW-SFO-ICN in biz and ICN-SFO-DTW in economy back. I can't do business both ways since ICN-SFO is sold out for the last 747 flight.
Totally fine and usually didn't have any problem not being forced on the Economy leg into an expensive fare class. Several times I've booked United Y to use a GPU to J for NYC-Europe and LH/LX F on the return back.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by fatboydave123
I fly mostly WN and DL . I was given UA drink tickets that are multi colored and have sayings like cheers, sante' etc. Where do those come from?
UA sends them out to certain status tiers. I always give mine away to people at my gym because when I fly Y it's on something like MRY-LAX so I have no need for them.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Booking a Surprise Flight - Will PAX Find Out?!

Hello,

Just booked two roundtrip tickets, SFO-SAN, for myself and my girlfriend. I booked both tickets through United.com and used her Mileage Plus account information when I selected her passenger details. (I've booked tickets for her in the past, so her information is already saved to my MP profile.)

When Girlfriend logs into her MileagePlus account, will she be able to see this upcoming trip to SAN that I booked?

The trip is intended to be a surprise (at least until she figures out that we're going to the airport / I tell her to pack a suit case), and I'm hoping that she doesn't stumble upon it the next time that she logs into her account.

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Hello,

Just booked two roundtrip tickets, SFO-SAN, for myself and my girlfriend. I booked both tickets through United.com and used her Mileage Plus account information when I selected her passenger details. (I've booked tickets for her in the past, so her information is already saved to my MP profile.)

When Girlfriend logs into her MileagePlus account, will she be able to see this upcoming trip to SAN that I booked?

The trip is intended to be a surprise (at least until she figures out that we're going to the airport / I tell her to pack a suit case), and I'm hoping that she doesn't stumble upon it the next time that she logs into her account.

Thanks!
She may get emails offering hotel/car/etc in SAN. I did this on a ticket for my Mom to Japan I changed her email to mine on MP (she really only flies when she is with me so she wouldn't have logged into her MP) but I didn't realize she was opted in for the text notifications so they sent the text saying she could check in for her flight to Japan.

I told her we were going to Paris & London for her bday when we were doing SFO-NRT-ZRH-LHR-EWR-SFO.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
I was afraid of that! I just called the desk and had them remove her MP information from the reservation. They kept her Known Traveler Number on there, and I'll just call back to re-add her MP info once the cat it out of the bag.

Glad you recovered from that text notification!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BThumme
Is it possible to book Economy one way but business another?

Would like to do DTW-SFO-ICN in biz and ICN-SFO-DTW in economy back. I can't do business both ways since ICN-SFO is sold out for the last 747 flight.
Yes, but.. for that market there are often strange combinability restrictions. You should try it out as two one-ways and see if you happen to like the price better. I think from DTW you're better off with a r/t though.

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I was afraid of that! I just called the desk and had them remove her MP information from the reservation. They kept her Known Traveler Number on there, and I'll just call back to re-add her MP info once the cat it out of the bag.
That's the way to go! Fair warning though - many reports of UA somehow still managing to send the other pax information about the trip; it's really hard to eradicate all trace from across all of their systems.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Tried to search and didn't see anything but I'm sure it's been asked here before:

Can United rebook onto Delta in IRROPS? A phone agent just refused to rebook me onto a Delta flight and told me they couldn't as of a month ago.

Maybe my situation didn't count as IRROPS though since it was just an almost certain but not absolutely certain missed connection? She kept using the phrase "reprotect" which seemed weird to me.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by em_attack
Tried to search and didn't see anything but I'm sure it's been asked here before:

Can United rebook onto Delta in IRROPS? A phone agent just refused to rebook me onto a Delta flight and told me they couldn't as of a month ago.

Maybe my situation didn't count as IRROPS though since it was just an almost certain but not absolutely certain missed connection? She kept using the phrase "reprotect" which seemed weird to me.
United can still move someone to Delta, AFAIW, though I know AA and Delta ended this relationship.
https://www.travelersunited.org/gett...ine-agreement/

I think it's due to the fact that you didn't miss or were not guaranteed to miss the connection.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
OK, now I have a question:

OK, now I have a question:

Not complaining as at 12:30 got an email that my DFW-ORD segment was upgraded 47:55 before the flight, i.e. pretty much T-48, when Golds are first eligible for CPU.

The reason I ask, is that when I checked flight status at abou 3:00 p.m. saw this

Originally Posted by UAL.com
United First® Upgrade Standby List:
United First®: 8 | Booked: Full | Checked In: 0
Do they really think they will not sell any upgrades nor will anyone buy a last minute FC ticket @:-)

Or is this a not so simple question that would reveal secrets of UA revevenue management

Puzzeled, but happy to ride up front on this short hop since I'm sure I'll sit in E+ on next segment
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Do they really think they will not sell any upgrades nor will anyone buy a last minute FC ticket @:-)

Or is this a not so simple question that would reveal secrets of UA revevenue management
Could be F seats blocked due to an oversell, they swapped to a 319 after you were upgraded, there's a swap to a 320 coming, or just a classic UA IT screw-up.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Could be F seats blocked due to an oversell, they swapped to a 319 after you were upgraded, there's a swap to a 320 coming, or just a classic UA IT screw-up.
That happened to me on a mileage run last year, CPU (well actually I had applied an RPU and when I pointed this out they gave me back the RPU) when they upgraded from the A319 to A320 and then they swapped back to the A319 (in the space of just under 2 hours) and gave me a voucher for $150/$200 (honestly do not remember the amount) which just about covered the cost of the mileage run.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Not sure what thread this would go in so I'll post here.

I'll be flying a connection to INTL on separate PNR's. A UA domestic flight on one PNR followed by a UA intl flight on another PNR. To simplify things, let's say I have no checked bags. At the connection airport, is it necessary to go thru security again, or can I stay on the air side? If I just go straight to my intl gate, will some alert pop up when they scan my BP about me not going thru security?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eng3
At the connection airport, is it necessary to go thru security again, or can I stay on the air side?
In most cases, there's no additional security, but it depends on the airport and which terminal(s) you are using.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Also possible: someone bought the last F seat after OP was upgraded.

Originally Posted by eng3
Not sure what thread this would go in so I'll post here.

I'll be flying a connection to INTL on separate PNR's. A UA domestic flight on one PNR followed by a UA intl flight on another PNR. To simplify things, let's say I have no checked bags. At the connection airport, is it necessary to go thru security again, or can I stay on the air side? If I just go straight to my intl gate, will some alert pop up when they scan my BP about me not going thru security?
You do not need to re-clear security on the basis of the separate tickets. As noted, some airports do not have airside connectors between the requisite terminals, but that is not related.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Also possible: someone bought the last F seat after OP was upgraded.
At least in this instance, very seriously doubt it:

319 from when I purchased ticket, 6 of 8 seats are u/g and all but one seemed to clear at T-48. And yes, I tend to guard my reservations knowing what has been pulled on me in the past

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.