Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by randomdude
<snip> but can't book business on LH (only Polish) going to europe.
Sorry, maybe someone else understands this, but that part of your query does not make sense to me

Originally Posted by dav3d
Is it possible to book Air New Zealand Premium Economy on United.com?
IIRC this has been asked before, and IIRC the answer is no. I'd love to be proved wrong on this as I too have interest in flying NZ in Premium Economy.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by randomdude
Is there a thread where I can find what type of fare/airline is bookable through united.com? For instance, I was able to book an I fare to SIN on Eva, but can't book business on LH (only Polish) going to europe.
Are you looking for award flights? You can book any Star Alliance airline but they will only show up if they have available space on your dates.

Originally Posted by dav3d
Like to book on united.com becasue I will get more miles by making my CC purchase there
Looks like you cannot. All the NZ fares I pulled up require home plating, and UA does not publish Premium Economy fares.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:15 am

Over on the AA scarcity board, they sing the praises of UA and so much Saver availability. I haven't found that to be the case, and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Mostly, I'm looking to go LAX-FCO next spring, and my dates are very flexible. The UA Saver flights I find for biz class are 57.5 to 70K miles each way. But a long segment LAX-BOS or LAX-IAD are in econ. Also, the majority of itineraries are two-stops. This is especially true for the 57.5K Saver awards.

Yes, there are several flights with ONE stop where both segments are in J. But those are only available a few days per month. Overall, I'd say UA Saver available is indeed a it better than AA, but not THAT much.

Anyway, I'm just interested in your opinions about why UA has such a better reputation for mileage travel, in general, and not necessarily specific to the itinerary I was looking for.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cheaptom
... Anyway, I'm just interested in your opinions about why UA has such a better reputation for mileage travel, in general, and not necessarily specific to the itinerary I was looking for.
Not going to tackle the actual general impression of UA vs AA but general impressions are amalgamation of many experiences -- and does not mean that every case will be the same. There will be exceptions. Better to try 10, 20, ... destinations before drawing a universal conclusion.

Additionally your origin will be common to your experiences and will heavily weight the outcome. So better to look at 10,20, ... origins and 10, 20, ... destinations.

And impression have inertia -- past experiences are weighted heavily. So if the actual experience is changing (some think it is), the general impression will lag.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Mostly, I'm looking to go LAX-FCO next spring, and my dates are very flexible. The UA Saver flights I find for biz class are 57.5 to 70K miles each way. But a long segment LAX-BOS or LAX-IAD are in econ. Also, the majority of itineraries are two-stops. This is especially true for the 57.5K Saver awards.
TATLs from the west coast are a real weak spot for UA redemptions. The best option will be on a *A partner - LH, LX, OS, LO, SK, or TK (if you don't mind the backtracking). Availability changes all the time so you have to check constantly.

Also note that the calendar returns false negatives. Just because a date shows blank doesn't mean there are no awards available.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Additionally your origin will be common to your experiences and will heavily weight the outcome. So better to look at 10,20, ... origins and 10, 20, ... destinations.
I fully agree, thank you. The over-generalization on the AA forums is what prompted my question. Hundreds of exaggerrated posts over there like "I'm moving to UA so I can get J Saver seats anytime anywhere with any equipment," Rather than simply, "UA might be better."

Originally Posted by Kacee
The best option will be on a *A partner - LH, LX, OS, LO, SK, or TK (if you don't mind the backtracking). .
Thanks. UA's site shows TK, LH, and LX (maybe others that I didn't notice). But I'll start checking those airlines' sites as well. If I find somethign on their site that isn't on UA's, I can call UA to book.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA's site shows TK, LH, and LX (maybe others that I didn't notice). But I'll start checking those airlines' sites as well. If I find somethign on their site that isn't on UA's, I can call UA to book.
Unfortunately not. What UA displays is what you can (theoretically) book. LH and LX (and presumably TK, though I don't know for certain) offer additional availability to their FFP members that is not available through UA.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:04 pm

If I fly from LIS to SFO in Y, connecting in BOS on TP and UA flights, can I access the United Club in BOS with UA gold status?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by z8108
If I fly from LIS to SFO in Y, connecting in BOS on TP and UA flights, can I access the United Club in BOS with UA gold status?
Yes.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:09 pm

*A award space close to departure

I'll be looking to return to PDX from FCO around Sept. 5. I booked an economy flight on AA but am thinking of canceling it and waiting until late August/early September to see if something desirable opens up in F or J, e.g. on Lufthansa. Am I correct that space should open up closer to departure? I haven't done a late/last-minute booking before, so I'd be interested in hearing from others about the reliability of booking a *A flight this way. Looking at the next 1-2 weeks on united.com, I see lots of availability, but I'm not sure if this would hold true in late summer as well. If I can't get something in J or F to work out, I'm fine with Y...I just need to get home. I may end up booking through Aeroplan but thought I should leave my question here. Thanks!

Last edited by incaroads; Jul 3, 2017 at 7:58 pm
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by incaroads
I'll be looking to return to PDX from FCO around Sept. 5. I booked an economy flight on AS but am thinking of canceling it and waiting until late August/early September to see if something desirable opens up in F or J, e.g. on Lufthansa. Am I correct that space should open up closer to departure? I haven't done a late/last-minute booking before, so I'd be interested in hearing from others about the reliability of booking a *A flight this way. Looking at the next 1-2 weeks on united.com, I see lots of availability, but I'm not sure if this would hold true in late summer as well. If I can't get something in J or F to work out, I'm fine with Y...I just need to get home. I may end up booking through Aeroplan but thought I should leave my question here. Thanks!
9/5 might be a shade too close to Labour Day, but 9/6-7 should be very doable. I have never failed to grab LH or UA XN space close to departure, and sometimes you get lucky and LH opens a seat in I at ~T-24. Good luck!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by sfo789
9/5 might be a shade too close to Labour Day, but 9/6-7 should be very doable. I have never failed to grab LH or UA XN space close to departure, and sometimes you get lucky and LH opens a seat in I at ~T-24. Good luck!
Thanks! Little help with the lingo here?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by incaroads
Thanks! Little help with the lingo here?
XN = economy saver award space if you have status or united credit card

I = business saver award space

T-24 = 24 hours before departure
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:32 am

I had a couple questions I was hoping someone could help me with for my flight coming up IAD-MUC that I've been upgraded to business class in;

1. Is there anyway to verify that my Global Entry number was accepted for the Pre-Check? My understanding is that it shows up on the boarding pass, but does it show up anywhere else? I'd like to confirm I've done it correctly as this is the first time I've done it.

2. My understanding is I get access to the Lufthansa lounge at IAD since I'm in business class on United, is that right? (I also have Priority Pass as well through Chase Sapphire if it matters) I however don't get access to one in MUC upon arrival right? It'll be early morning before I get to leave the airport so I just wanted to check.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DaTaco
1. Is there anyway to verify that my Global Entry number was accepted for the Pre-Check? My understanding is that it shows up on the boarding pass, but does it show up anywhere else? I'd like to confirm I've done it correctly as this is the first time I've done it. ...
Go to your reservation. "Manage Reservations"
Scroll down and look for the "Traveler(s)" section
Click on "Edit traveler information"
Click on "Known Traveler Number/Pass ID: " -- check the displayed info

If the info is correct, UA will forward that to TSA. It is up to TSA if you get PreCheck. Generally GE is pretty good bet -- 99.9% but not 100%. TSA can do random exceptions.

Originally Posted by DaTaco
... My understanding is I get access to the Lufthansa lounge at IAD since I'm in business class on United, is that right? (I also have Priority Pass as well through Chase Sapphire if it matters) I however don't get access to one in MUC upon arrival right? It'll be early morning before I get to leave the airport so I just wanted to check.
As a business customer you have access on departure in international business class.
At IAD, you will have access to the LH, TK and UCs.
Arriving at MUC, you will have no access based on business class status.

Anyway as most lounges are airside, as an arrival passenger you will not physically be able to access an airside lounge -- so the PP will not help.

Some airports have Arrival lounges, but believe MUC does not.
DaTaco likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.