Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The other constraint is galley space.
Ahh, yes, good point!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The issue is the downgrade from pre-Polaris. Must it always be, "We will give you this, but take away that"?
But other than changing the actual delivery, they are still giving customers the option of cheese plus the sundae.....most other carriers either give customers a choice of one or the other. I don't see it as complete take-away but that people indicated they would rather have an overall faster service in lieu of having an FA in the aisle (probably not even knowing what cheese they were serving) cutting it off the block, tossing some crackers, and then moving down the aisle.

For that matter what other carriers roll a cheese cart down the aisle in C/J these days? I don't think pmUA even offered that but it was a carry-over from pmCO BF.

Granted don't get me wrong, having a selection of crackers and having the cheese options presented to me is nice, but I still think the whole crackers in plastic and cheese pre-plated thing is not as big of an issue as people are making. Given the fact that once the product is fully rolled out, UA will be offering pre-flight dining in the Polaris lounges, I think this particular issue will fall by the wayside.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
But other than changing the actual delivery, they are still giving customers the option of cheese plus the sundae.....most other carriers either give customers a choice of one or the other. I don't see it as complete take-away but that people indicated they would rather have an overall faster service in lieu of having an FA in the aisle (probably not even knowing what cheese they were serving) cutting it off the block, tossing some crackers, and then moving down the aisle.

For that matter what other carriers roll a cheese cart down the aisle in C/J these days? I don't think pmUA even offered that but it was a carry-over from pmCO BF.

Granted don't get me wrong, having a selection of crackers and having the cheese options presented to me is nice, but I still think the whole crackers in plastic and cheese pre-plated thing is not as big of an issue as people are making. Given the fact that once the product is fully rolled out, UA will be offering pre-flight dining in the Polaris lounges, I think this particular issue will fall by the wayside.
Yes, it was a fantastic pmCO service.

They actually *hate* the new procedure.

The only bugger who was happy was a 3 month rookie who *actually* stated (to me directly/honestly? ) that "it saves us a lot of time" - and he was hardly interacting with any pax at all - completely zero service, operated like a robot on board. (BOM-EWR)

(No bread basket after initial tray plopped down for dinner or breakfast, and only 2-3 refills of my chosen drink)

The same service supervisor was flying with me on all my 3 segments, and on the 2nd one I got to speak to him about why I switched to LH F for my first return...

exCOn service is fantastic - they still try so hard, despite the restrictions.

In fact, I queried one of the LH FAs on one intercontinental segment about their "restaurant" service (which is what appears to be what UA is following now) and she replied that they had modified the service procedure (all the time servicing from a cart - not as nice as PMCOs though - the standard version) as it didn't work.

Agree that this "Polaris" modification of pmCO is more than others provide, but it is still "less" than what/how pmCO used to implement and serve.

(Note I never flew CO until they had just merged with UA, but grew to love their on-board product. Unfortunately their ground service was rude, obnoxious and inefficient at EWR, so I continued flying on LH ex-EWR from Terminal B)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jan 18, 2017 at 9:31 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by qukslvr619

I guess I just miss my sweet biscuits (on left)...

Can't find them in any store.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I guess I just miss my sweet biscuits (on left)...

Can't find them in any store.
I do feel your pain on that...they were good. I tried checking the Jacob's website and they didn't show up.

But then I remembered that pmCO used to have an actual box of the cracker selection that would be loaded and the FA's would then setup on the carts in the galley. Granted you'll end up with the other kind of crackers but looks like it has the biscuits you want:

http://britishfooddepot.com/jacobs-b...LjnBoCLCHw_wcB

The shipping cost appears to be around $10 or so on top of the $15 for the box.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Unfortunately their ground service was rude, obnoxious and inefficient at EWR
What do you mean ground service "was" rude, obnoxious, and inefficient? It still is!

Regarding pmCO BF; well I suppose it depends on one's perspective. At the time I think they were able to substitute a strong soft product at the expense of a somewhat mediocre hard product. When other carriers were rolling out either lie-flat or near-flat angled seats in Business Class, CO still had barcaloungers and seemingly stuck to the idea that the new BF seat would debut on the 787. Well the 787 delivery date came and went...and then it pushed out even further. It wasn't until late 2009/early 2010 that they started to install it on the 777s. Granted the service/food was much closer to First Class, but there was little done over the entire existence of the product to keep it fresh or competitive. The best example of this is the marketing video from when BusinessFirst was introduced:

Other than the white serving jackets on the FA's and the clothes that the passengers were wearing, its hard to tell the difference between BF in 1993 vs BF in 2010.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Any experience to South America yet? Specifically IAH-EZE...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: ual,aa
What late night meals served in business class?

I will be in business class SFO to SYD next week - supposed to be Polaris class. Flight leaves SFO at 11:40 pm. The itinerary mentions dinner but not breakfast. This seems strange to me. We will have approx 3-1/2 hrs at airport prior to flight - don't know if lounge available that late or if food available. Thinking we should have dinner in airport restaurant - am wondering if anyone has taken this flight and how meals handled. Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:31 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Dinner at takeoff, breakfast before landing, snacks/sandwiches available throughout the flight, between the 2 full meals.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS
Plenty of food available between meals on TPAC Polaris.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
Any experience to South America yet? Specifically IAH-EZE...
Flew it in December. Flight, as always, was really nice. Pleasant FA's. Nice bedding.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Couple more data points

Jan 2017 UA 79 EWR NRT
same as in post 8, the wines:

WINE & CHAMPAGNE
Columbia Crest H3 Cabernet Sauvignon 2014

Jean-Luc Colombo Les Forots 2014 (Cotes du Rhone)

Colby Red 2014

Replica Chardonnay 2015

Domaine de la Villaudiere L'Evidence 2015

Swartland Bush Vine Chenin Blanc 2015

Joseph Perrier Cuvee Royale Brut nv

Jan 2017 UA896 HKG ORD
WELCOME DINING SERVICE

STARTERS
Chilled Appetizer
Parma ham, semi-dried tomato, melon, caramelized
pecan port reduction

Salad
Mixed greens, radish, orange
Served with dressing and assorted breads

ENTREE

Seared Beef Tenderloin
Demi-glace, potato Napoleon, pumpkin, bell
pepper, asparagus

Chicken Satay
Coconut rice, bok choy, carrot, eggplant

Miso-Glazed Salmon
Steamed rice, mixed squash, pea, black sesame seed

Stir-Fried Noodles
Oyster sauce, baby corn, green bean, pumpkin

DESSERTS
Enjoy a selection from the following:
International Cheees assortment
Served with grapes, crackers and port

Signature Sundae
Served with choice of toppings

Sweet Treats
Please ask your Flight Attendant for today's selections

[Apple tartlets, tiramisu, and macaroons]

ANYTIME A LA CARTE MENU
Indulge in comfort foods and sweet or salty snacks
anytime during the flight

Cold Bites
Fresh seasonal fruits
Sweet and salty snacks
Roasted turkey and cranberry sandwich
Vegetable salad wrap
Help yourself at any point after our dining service

Hot Bites
Pork fried rice (bowl)

Tomato basil soup with aged cheddar grilled cheese
sandwich

Asian-style instant noodle

Please place your order with a flight attendant and
allow a few minutes for this item to be freshly prepared

ARRIVAL DINING SERVICE
All entrees are served with yogurt, breakfast breads,
butter and fruit preserves

Frittata
Sun-dried tomato
Served with pork sausage, potato, spinach and a side
of fruit

Chinese-style Rice Porridge
Corn
Served with savory congee garnish and a side of fruit

Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Served with a side of cereal and milk
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, United Club lifetime member, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Mel-lax 1/16/17

Originally Posted by gcashin
Traveled on Polaris on MEL-LAX earlier this month. General comments on the food:
  • Overall, a major upgrade from previous meals. Nice presentation, better quality foods and wines, and the flight attendants seemed genuinely proud of the new offerings
  • The appetizer was nice, but nothing too special
  • The Parmesan Crusted Pork (my travel companion had) looked fantastic and got rave reviews as one of the best business class meals (aside from perhaps SQ)
  • The Seared Snapper didn't look as interesting, but the flavour was fantastic, and I was really please
  • The one disappointment was the cheese plate - a single packet of crackers was inadequate given the portion of cheese, and the flight crew wasn't given extra crackers. Why not give them a full box of crackers and let them portion out the crackers along with the cheese depending on customer preference
  • The mini desserts were nice, and very tasty
  • For the mid-flight snack, I was genuinely intrigued to see Fish and Chips as an option. I was feeling like something a bit lighter, so I went for the grilled cheese and soup, but I don't think I've ever seen Fish and Chips offered on a plane before.
  • I was really impressed at the Eggs Benedict type breakfast. Eggs were poached to about a medium (impressive), and the fruit plate was very nice

Overall a great experience. I'd remarked that the food was much better than my last trip to Australia earlier in the year, and the FA said they'd been getting great feedback on the new food offerings. Hope they keep it up and don't try to roll back some of the upgrades on the food/wine again.
I flew MEL-LAX with this same menu on January 16 and agree that it was very good overall. I was also impressed by the poached eggs, though my one complaint about that dish was that the Hollandaise sauce was more like just gobs of mayonnaise smeared on the eggs. If it had been the more normal consistency of Hollandaise sauce, the dish would have been perfect.

I couldn't resist out of curiosity and DID order the fish and chips mid-flight. I grant you, it didn't look promising when it arrived (see photo), but surprisingly, it tasted good. The fish was not crispy-battered, but it did have a flavorful coating and the fish itself was flaky, white, and fresh-tasting. The chips were also good - again, not crispy per se but more like seasoned potato wedges. The portion size of this dish was just right for a mid-flight snack.

I'm also posting a picture of the chicken entree since that was another item from this menu that wasn't already pictured in gcashin's post. It was very tasty!
Attached Images   
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Jilani
I flew MEL-LAX with this same menu on January 16 and agree that it was very good overall. I was also impressed by the poached eggs, though my one complaint about that dish was that the Hollandaise sauce was more like just gobs of mayonnaise smeared on the eggs. If it had been the more normal consistency of Hollandaise sauce, the dish would have been perfect.

I couldn't resist out of curiosity and DID order the fish and chips mid-flight. I grant you, it didn't look promising when it arrived (see photo), but surprisingly, it tasted good. The fish was not crispy-battered, but it did have a flavorful coating and the fish itself was flaky, white, and fresh-tasting. The chips were also good - again, not crispy per se but more like seasoned potato wedges. The portion size of this dish was just right for a mid-flight snack.

I'm also posting a picture of the chicken entree since that was another item from this menu that wasn't already pictured in gcashin's post. It was very tasty!
Thanks for posting - I was very curious about the Fish and Chips, so good to have a review! Chicken looked good as well!

Agreed on the poached eggs with hollandaise - perhaps a bit thick, but I'm sure the consistency is tough to get right when reheated on a plane. Overall quite good, though.

Definitely a big improvement over previous flights to/from Australia IMO.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Flying SFO-TPE with Mr. Kryssa on Saturday. This will be our first time in Polaris. Has anyone seen the menu for this route? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.