Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Great news! Are the Polaris items the same everywhere? I seem to remember seeing flying to Asian destinations they had completely different menu items where as Europe/South America/Australia have their own menu.
It seems like the menu as the same (or very very similar) for all ex-US flights, but there are different menus when departing international locations.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Vulcan
NOT good, if you are allergic to soybeans, like I am.
Unfortunately this is tough to avoid. No way to accommodate every condition (I realize you weren't asking for that). One member of my immediate family has a significant allergy to cashews. No nuts for that person, or the rest of us if we're travelling together and upgraded.

Personally I don't like the new mix. When the nuts were fresh and warmed, the old mix was just right for me. The soybeans mess with everything!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since when is a soy bean a nut? But then again peanuts aren't nuts either. The soy beans are just a cheap filler.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cricketer
Personally I don't like the new mix. When the nuts were fresh and warmed, the old mix was just right for me. The soybeans mess with everything!
They just taste like lightly salted cardboard . The old mix was just fine.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:36 am

United Polaris menu's for Spring:

Running Mach through May, United will offer the following entrees on longhaul flights departing from the United States–

Seared short rib with Asian-style barbecue sauce, basmati rice, carrots and sugar snap peas
Char siu duck with Swiss chard with pancetta and sautéed apple
Miso-glazed arapaima with soy beurre blanc, green tea soba noodles, bok choy, carrot and daikon
Ancient grain risotto with asparagus, mushroom and onion

On fights from Europe back to the Untied States, United will offer–

Roasted rack of lamb with mint demi-glace, Anna potatoes and green beans
Poached chicken breast with chicken broth, potatoes, broccolini, kale, peas and white asparagus
Roasted halibut with ratatouille, artichoke, pattypan squash and zucchini
Butternut squash ravioli with ginger-pumpkin sauce, butternut squash and mushrooms
Butter lettuce with cucumber, Kalamata olives, radishes and tomato, served with grilled chicken
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:39 am

I stand corrected. Looks like the Asian Fusion soup is no more Hopefully it'll return at some point. I look forward to hearing reviews of these dishes.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:41 am

Yes, the no soup is disappointed but not really a Spring item. I usually despise short rib on airlines as short rib is generally pretty fatty and the cheapest cut of meat. The duck looks fantastic ingredient wise and maybe United has focused more on regional Asian dishes as evidenced by their smash hit soup from the Winter.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:03 am

Yes, the no soup is disappointed but not really a Spring item. I usually despise short rib on airlines as short rib is generally pretty fatty and the cheapest cut of meat. The duck looks fantastic ingredient wise and maybe United has focused more on regional Asian dishes as evidenced by their smash hit soup from the Winter.
I actually find the short ribs to be delicious, as they stand up well to being reheated on planes.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Miso-glazed arapaima with soy beurre blanc, green tea soba noodles, bok choy, carrot and daiko.

looks like they are using a fancier word for the amazon cod
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I actually find the short ribs to be delicious, as they stand up well to being reheated on planes.
I've eaten at least half a dozen short rib J meals on United over the past couple of years. They ranged from delicious - twice, to ok- twice, to fatty/grisly and unpalatable - twice.
It's kind of like UA's service in a nutshell - all over the place.

By the way, anyone have an update on the Polaris meals to/from Australia?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS
Call me redneck, but I think the long haul menu is way too Asian style biased
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:59 am

Looking to hear what people say about the new items. Is the ORD kitchen generally considered the best out of the US gateways in terms of catering since its the main hub?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Looking to hear what people say about the new items. Is the ORD kitchen generally considered the best out of the US gateways in terms of catering since its the main hub?
My best meals on United have all been catered out of European flight kitchens.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Call me redneck, but I think the long haul menu is way too Asian style biased
While that duck "char siu" sounds very asian the presentation and flavor was more european than the name implies.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
While that duck "char siu" sounds very asian the presentation and flavor was more european than the name implies.
You had this already this month? Can you give us your thoughts on the dish?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.