Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Dec 31, 16, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

This thread is for the following Polaris First and Polaris Business flights:
  • Trans-Atlantic flights
  • Trans-Pacific flights
  • South American flights

Don't forget to post the date and route information along with the meal information!

Slight change this year (mods please feel free to merge with the 2017 Polaris In-Flight Experience thread), this thread will focus only on:
  • Polaris First
  • Polaris Business

International Business flights will be included in the domestic thread found via this link. These flights include:
  • Intra-Asia (such as NRT-ICN)
  • Intra-Pacific/Oceania/Micronesia (such as HNL-GUM and GUM-MNL)
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • Caribbean
  • Latin America (such as IAH-SJO and IAH-PTY)

Here's United's official page on this category of Polaris dining:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ss/dining.aspx

For the curious folks, the 2016 thread is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-business.html

With that, Let's Eat 2017!
Old Dec 31, 16, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
reserved
Old Jan 3, 17, 4:25 pm

NRT-IAH, January 2017

I also flew this route last month on 5 December - but I ordered the Japanese Meal and can't remember if this is the exact same menu? I will compare the December 2016 and January 2017 menus when I return home and report back. The salmon entree was delicious. Did not get to try any of the snacks as I slept. Enjoy.

Old Jan 3, 17, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
02JAN LHR-IAH 10:25am departure

After takeoff, FAs came through with bloody mary/mimosa cart, so 10:25 departure includes that.

Menu, note that Chicken Tikka 'Marsala' no longer available...

Chicken Tikka Masala, bit of spice to it

Cheese serving...

Dessert tower

Mid-flight cottage pie, which was delicious. Disappointed that soup & grilled cheese wasn't available though.

Pre-arrival chicken
Old Jan 3, 17, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the pre-arrival service on longer European - USA flights is now a hot meal? Not bad...
Old Jan 3, 17, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
So the pre-arrival service on longer European - USA flights is now a hot meal? Not bad...
It was pretty bland, but the chicken was juicy and hot at least.
Old Jan 4, 17, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA838
NRT-SFO

Boeing 747-400 Polaris Business
Meal: Dinner, Breakfast

Menu

Wine menu was same as Dec/2016.

Appetizer & Salad

Main - Sesame Ginger Chicken

Skipped cheese

Dessert - Sundae & Japanese Wagashi

Breakfast - Japanese Fish
Old Jan 7, 17, 8:32 pm

IAH-NRT, January 2017

Ok I have compared the menus for December 2016 and January 2017 and at least thus far, the main entrees do not change BUT what does change are the anytime and arrival dining service options. For example, the pre arrival Japanese meal in December was chicken cutlet and in January was pork cutlet. My problem is that I sleep for a good portion of the flight so I have yet to try the anytime options. I also want to recognise my flight attendant on yesterdays IAH-NRT flight; there are good flight attendants and then there are exceptional ones, and this guy was exceptional. I believe I observed the proper way the United Polaris inflight dining experience should be.

More rounds of garlic bread and that other roll were offered in the basket - this was not offered last month nor on my NRT-IAH a few days ago

Cinnamon rolls were also offered after the pre arrival dining trays were delivered
Old Jan 7, 17, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
I sat by a Japanese guy the other day who sent the Katsu back referring to it as a plate of restaurant leftovers, I have to say the contents on the bottom picture rarely appear in together the same country let alone the same tray....such is the world of UA menu's
Old Jan 7, 17, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by trust77 View Post
I also want to recognise my flight attendant on yesterdays IAH-NRT flight; there are good flight attendants and then there are exceptional ones, and this guy was exceptional. I believe I observed the proper way the United Polaris inflight dining experience should be.
Any specifics on what made this guy stand out? Be interested in hearing how he differed from the usual crew.
Old Jan 7, 17, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by tryintogohome View Post
I sat by a Japanese guy the other day who sent the Katsu back referring to it as a plate of restaurant leftovers, I have to say the contents on the bottom picture rarely appear in together the same country let alone the same tray....such is the world of UA menu's
haha. perhaps they need to add "fusion" to the qualifiers also.

re: the Asian Fusion Noodle Soup
had it on ORD -> HKG. despite it featuring udon and Korean inspired chicken, it's no more than a Laksa you can get at an SG hawker center for <3 USD.

re: HKG service
no more wonton soup midflight snack. admittedly I haven't been on these segments for a while so I don't know if that's been gone pre-Polaris cut over. pre-arrival congee is still only good ex-HKG, which was more memorable than whatever I selected for my lunch entree.

disclaimer, i'm not that picky on airline food. i still miss the CO cheeseburgers! =)
Old Jan 8, 17, 12:22 am

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by eleeut View Post
i still miss the CO cheeseburgers! =)
<- Another cheeseburger fan right here. Honestly, anytime I'm flying to NRT I'm wishing for the ramen and udon they have as anytime snacks on ANA :/
Old Jan 8, 17, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
Unhappy

Originally Posted by eleeut View Post
haha. perhaps they need to add "fusion" to the qualifiers also.
re: the Asian Fusion Noodle Soup
had it on ORD -> HKG. despite it featuring udon and Korean inspired chicken, it's no more than a Laksa you can get at an SG hawker center for <3 USD.

As a former resident of said small island I have to say I miss my hawker center food....and my PPS life

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 17 at 12:47 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 9, 17, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post

Pre-arrival chicken
Oh no looks like the cous-cous shrunk!

I was expecting it to look more like the photo you posted....kind of interesting to see how different kitchens prepare items though.
Old Jan 9, 17, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
ORDBRU
Polaris First

Appetizer

Soup

Salad

Main

Cheese

Dessert

Pre-Arrival

Food definitely had more of a restaurant quality taste/presentation to it which was an improvement. The service took a while to serve which I don't fault the FA (I could tell she was trying so I don't attribute it to laziness), there are a lot of elements of the service. When I asked for the "wine flight", the FA told me that she would have to go prep it in the galley as she didn't pull the cart out to bring into the cabin for the wine since there were so few of us (didn't really bother me though).

One thing was that when they took the initial meal orders they asked if I wanted to be woken for Breakfast and what I wanted. I appreciated that they asked this, but I can't remember ever having to tell them what I wanted to eat....why I say this is that I prefer being asked what I want to eat when I wake up rather than 6 hours in advance. I ordered the full breakfast, but I didn't end up eating it and would have preferred the lighter option as I didn't feel all that great/hungry when I woke up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: