Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cricketer
Am I the only person who has been using that olive oil and balsamic bottle as dip for my bread rather than putting it on the salad? Pour onto bread plate, add a little pepper, and assuming you have a fairly flat tray table, good to go. I assumed that was what it was intended for - but then I don't mind my salads dry.
No. I do it too!

Flying AMS-IAH tomorrow morning. Anything special ex-AMS in Polaris? I'm hoping it is not the same as ex-FRA last week. Will try ravioli this time if possible. Beef and salmon are both just okay...
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
It'll be the same.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's strange that they list specific wines but not the Champagne. Specific marques of Champagne are produced in great bulk, are non-vintage and are available always and pretty well everywhere whereas specific wines are hugely difficult to source for a worldwide distribution network.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Lion's Head Meatball...is this UA hinting at EWR-CPT?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It's strange that they list specific wines but not the Champagne. Specific marques of Champagne are produced in great bulk, are non-vintage and are available always and pretty well everywhere whereas specific wines are hugely difficult to source for a worldwide distribution network.
My guess is they are still getting their supply sorted out and don't want the entire cabin asking for it yet.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
It's a Chinese dish originating in Jiangsu Province: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion's_head_(food)

I'd rather have LH open up more award F seats to CPT though

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Lion's Head Meatball...is this UA hinting at EWR-CPT?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
Originally Posted by 764toHI
It's a Chinese dish originating in Jiangsu Province: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion's_head_(food)

I'd rather have LH open up more award F seats to CPT though
It's a pretty good dish imo, like a Swedish meatball. Actually reminds me of one of my favorite Chinese dishes in Los Angeles. Less salty than most of the Chinese dishes from US outbound to Asia. I usually opt for the western dishes on US outbound to Asia, but the opposite when coming back stateside...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I thought this was strange too. The wine list states "Please ask your flight attendant for today's selection hand-picked by our Master Sommelier Doug Frost." So I asked. She couldn't tell me but brought the bottle over. It was Joseph Perrier.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
you don't happen to have a menu from that flight that you could post, do you? My family is making that trip Wednesday.
Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it

I remember they had the braised beef, an asian noodle dish, and a fish option, can't remember what the 4th entree was.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I thought this was strange too. The wine list states "Please ask your flight attendant for today's selection hand-picked by our Master Sommelier Doug Frost." So I asked. She couldn't tell me but brought the bottle over. It was Joseph Perrier.
Same thing on ORD-BRU 2/17.

No listed champagne, but when requested, it was Joseph Perrier. My guess is they for some reason couldn't get enough bottles for February. Wouldn't surprise me if JP was back on the menu in March.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Impeccable service from the crew on UA4 LHR-IAH on 2/20... Far better than any other Polaris service I've had. I still think all the main course beef dishes taste the same, but loved the mid-flight snack Cottage Pie (I had two) and the Chicken w/ mushrooms arrival dishes!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Impeccable service from the crew on UA4 LHR-IAH on 2/20... Far better than any other Polaris service I've had. I still think all the main course beef dishes taste the same, but loved the mid-flight snack Cottage Pie (I had two) and the Chicken w/ mushrooms arrival dishes!
I really like the cottage pie
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I really like the cottage pie
Same... I had to go back for more! But I also really appreciated how attentive the crew was, consistently checking in and all smiles. It's amazing what a happy crew can do for the experience!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Ua961 (fra-ewr)

First experience of the Polaris soft product for me...was on a 764 (think they have downgauged this flight offseason), which I did not mind compared to the 3-class 772 that was previously scheduled.

Nuts and the white wine pairing - the FA was apologetic that they were not served the third white wine...a bit shoddy of catering to be short the wines that are on the spiffy-looking new menus. The riesling was okay, if a tad sweet; the Chablis was a bit drier than I generally prefer for my whites.

Salad and wasabi-topped chilled smoked salmon to start. The salad was quite solid, and I did enjoy the salmon. Garlic bread was okay, but not the best I have had on UA.

There were 5 entrees to choose from - short rib, salmon, duck breast, ravioli, and shrimp salad. My wife went with the shrimp salad and absolutely loved it. I would probably pick the short rib, all things equal, but because I have had that dish so many times on UA, I went with salmon in beurre blanc sauce instead. It was pretty good - salmon wasn't too overcooked, and I liked the lightness of the sauce. As noted in the Polaris experience thread, those salt and pepper shakers are plastic - a downgrade from what was showcased at the private Polaris events last year.

For dessert, I went with plain ice cream and one of the tiny raspberry cheesecakes. The latter was very good, and I do appreciate that there are smaller dessert options now, instead of just the sundaes.

Midflight snack was beef stew with spaetzle - best dish of the flight. I wish I could have ordered this as a main, with only slightly more to it. The meal portions on flights are way too big (IMO), and this was sized more appropriately.

Grilled chicken or an antipasto (cheese + cured meats) were the options for pre-arrival, so I went with the former. It's a bit big for a last meal, and I regret eating the whole thing, but it was okay...in particular, I liked the crisped skin that added a bit of flavor to the initial bites. Salad was plainer compared to the full meal service.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Grilled chicken or an antipasto (cheese + cured meats) were the options for pre-arrival, so I went with the former. It's a bit big for a last meal, and I regret eating the whole thing, but it was okay...in particular, I liked the crisped skin that added a bit of flavor to the initial bites. Salad was plainer compared to the full meal service.
They served this grilled chicken on LHR-IAH arrival service yesterday -- I really enjoyed it. I actually preferred this and the mid-flight snack better than the main course beef dish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.