Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:26 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rduer
I have eaten this a couple of times and agree it is a nice main, I found though that the portion sizes I got were pretty small which on TPAC can leave you wanting a little.
I agree. Fortunately, there is the grilled cheese and soup mid-flight.

I skipped the cabbage salad because, to be honest, I don't understand UA's fascination with "cruciferous vegetables." They don't do well in my gut at altitude.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I skipped the cabbage salad because, to be honest, I don't understand UA's fascination with "cruciferous vegetables." They don't do well in my gut at altitude.
Very diplomatically said
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:28 pm

But what's with all the copious amount of peppers in nearly every dish? Soup, salad, main, full of peppers, all
varieties.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Feb 6, 2017 at 6:25 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, KF Gold, Marriott Titanium
warms my heart to see UA try their best..but at the same time it's comical how subpar most of the offerings are...especially the J LAX-NRT Japanese meals.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by icemaker
warms my heart to see UA try their best..but at the same time it's comical how subpar most of the offerings are...especially the J LAX-NRT Japanese meals.
I have posted about the Japanese meals before and I find them to be lower quality as to what they used to be.I just miss the genuine flavor, let alone the variety. Mrs.Ex complained that they are the same as before Polaris, I am saying flavor wise they are more bland than ever, In comparison the Western choices are drowned by sauces, Just my five cents worth.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
What do you mean ground service "was" rude, obnoxious, and inefficient? It still is!

Regarding pmCO BF; well I suppose it depends on one's perspective. At the time I think they were able to substitute a strong soft product at the expense of a somewhat mediocre hard product. When other carriers were rolling out either lie-flat or near-flat angled seats in Business Class, CO still had barcaloungers and seemingly stuck to the idea that the new BF seat would debut on the 787. Well the 787 delivery date came and went...and then it pushed out even further. It wasn't until late 2009/early 2010 that they started to install it on the 777s. Granted the service/food was much closer to First Class, but there was little done over the entire existence of the product to keep it fresh or competitive. The best example of this is the marketing video from when BusinessFirst was introduced:
Introducing Continental's BusinessFirst - YouTube

Other than the white serving jackets on the FA's and the clothes that the passengers were wearing, its hard to tell the difference between BF in 1993 vs BF in 2010.
I remember those days very well. And I like when the VP states that they will put the new "brand" on sale only after a majority of planes has been reconfigured. The new UA would have done well following that attitude instead of bringing up the Polaris brand sans seats, lounges etc. Very bad
marketing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 6, 2017 at 9:15 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Holy moly!!! Asian Fusion Noodle Soup like you said is...A WIN!!!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Holy moly!!! Asian Fusion Noodle Soup like you said is...A WIN!!!
Yes, it tastes incredibly good.

I just hope that the ingredients are all natural and not with artificial additives/flavors/flavor enhancers...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: United Platinum
SFO-TPE

Asian fusion noodle soup - as mentioned before is a solid choice.

Mid-flight snack - I had the grilled cheese, but next time I'll order the beef with noodles, which my husband had and I got to try.

Breakfast - rustic omelette - this was better than expected but still just okay.

Crew was on point - a nice change from our last couple of TPACs.

Got the pajamas and even kept them. Not that they're built to last forever but they are comfy. If anyone is concerned on sizing, the L/XL easily fits you if you wear a men's XL t-shirt and would probably even fit most XXLs. My husband wears a M or L men's t-shirt and wound up wear in the S/M pajamas.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
What's better- the Asian noodle soup or the French toast souffl?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by krentzie
What's better- the Asian noodle soup or the French toast souffl?
If we could get the French toast souffle on Intl routes, I would come close to forgiving United's insistence on serving breakfast at dinner time.

Close...but not quite all the way.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:26 am

IAH-LHR 9pm

Nice to see sparkling water vs. Seagram's available. I asked for the red tasting but I guess the FA wanted to pour while I tasted each one instead of just pouring me a bit in the 3 glasses on the holder. Not wanting to hold him up I said the CdR was fine and I would just have that.

The shrimp was good but the sauce/seasoning because it was cold felt a little "chalky" in the mouth. The salad was nice, fresh spinach and really good strawberries and grapes. The dressing was just pure olive oil and balsamic not something with high fructose like some of the others.

Winner winner (Asian fusion) chicken (noodle soup) dinner!

A lot more cheese than I would have wanted, liked the cart service where I could just get 2 little nibbles.

Desert cart was nice. The caramel chocolate was salty and sweet loved it. The little cream cups you could get lemon, raspberry or tiramisu.

Super salty. Potatoes were dry. Sausage had a nice herb taste to it. Picked at it knowing I'd get something in T2.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
IAH-LHR 9pm
From February 2017? If so, menu unchanged from January, when I already did this flight twice...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
From February 2017? If so, menu unchanged from January, when I already did this flight twice...
It would appear that there is very little difference between the DEC/JAN/FEB menus; the entrees are exactly the same. The only variance has been in appetizer, salad, and the pre-arrival meal.

I am actually very surprised by this....especially since they put a huge emphasis on variety and new menus. It will be interesting to see what MAR's menu consists of.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
It would appear that there is very little difference between the DEC/JAN/FEB menus; the entrees are exactly the same. The only variance has been in appetizer, salad, and the pre-arrival meal.

I am actually very surprised by this....especially since they put a huge emphasis on variety and new menus. It will be interesting to see what MAR's menu consists of.
Bummer, at least the old eternal menus would rotate each month.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Feb 7

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.