Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
So no more hot appetizer in Polaris First and crackers in packages?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
So no more hot appetizer in Polaris First and crackers in packages?
Nope....the cocktail snack before the appetizer replaces it....so if you use UA math it really is an "enhancement" because you get 2 appetizer courses instead of just 1.

The crackers....well I didn't think too much about this because I thought package or not they were still the same cracker type/brand/etc.

I suppose it could come across as a cost savings/cutback/etc....but I really think at this point UA should just stop the First/Business distinction and offer the same product in both cabins and just have the First cabin as an upgrade/special seating option like what US did when they phased it out.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Nope....the cocktail snack before the appetizer replaces it....so if you use UA math it really is an "enhancement" because you get 2 appetizer courses instead of just 1.

The crackers....well I didn't think too much about this because I thought package or not they were still the same cracker type/brand/etc.

I suppose it could come across as a cost savings/cutback/etc....but I really think at this point UA should just stop the First/Business distinction and offer the same product in both cabins and just have the First cabin as an upgrade/special seating option like what US did when they phased it out.
I like the sweet biscuits with the cheese service. Assuming those are gone now? Bummer.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:52 am

I like the sweet biscuits with the cheese service. Assuming those are gone now? Bummer.
Yes. But I think I know which sweet biscuits you are talking about. With the pmCO BF service they used to have a full cheese spread, box of crackers/biscuits, and more than just grapes.

BTW...enjoy reading your blog. Been thinking about creating one but my travels these days are nowhere as exciting as yours (thanks to 2 small kids). Granted the random BRU/AMS trip I took this past weekend was a nice diversion!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Something like that will likely happen at some point in 2018 as pmUA 777s/747s start to get retrofitted with Polaris seating. Right now UA likely makes too high of a revenue premium compared to upselling it as a better J seat, but once they have to start readily mixing Polaris and non-Polaris aircraft due to IRROPs and such, PF will likely get the axe for simplicity's sake with universal food/beverage service in both cabins and upgrades given away (elites) or sold (non-elite) at checkin.

I'd be very surprised to see PF last until the final flight with GF seats.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:52 pm

AMSIAH

From the Blood Mary/Mimosa Cart

Appetizer/Salad

Main Entree

Cheese

Sundae

Mid-Flight Snack

Pre-Arrival

I don't know if it was the fact that I flew Business vs First on the return but the flight felt less "premium" only because I think the catering out of AMS seemed to be on the weaker side. By that I mean the overall meal felt more like a domestic First meal in terms of portion and plating....explain more as I go along.

PDB Sparkling Wine wasn't that great...I'm hoping people that order "champagne" actually know they are only going to get the Sparkling Wine before takeoff

Blood Mary/Mimosa cart was a nice touch but I noticed FA's were having to fill other drink orders when they passed out the hot nuts at the same time. Could see this being phased out, but was a nice touch.

Appetizer/Salad came pre loaded with bread. The Caprese salad was good but the cheese was so thin you could see through to the plate and noticed from the galley diagrams the salad was supposed to more of a wedge.

Main was good...Chicken entre without overpowering flavoring and tasty accompaniments. No real complaints here other than when I removed the skin off the chicken breast you lose a lot of the taste from the sauce that was poured over it. NOTE: Cold Salad option is popular and on this flight they ran out....on the outbound the FA told me about this as well.

Ice-Cream and sauces seemed to be of much higher quality and not the typical vanilla ice cream with butterscotch/chocolate sauce.

Mid-Flight Snack was a beef/onion stew. I don't know if it was overcooked but it seemed like less of a stew and more of a beef covered in gravy entre with mashed potatoes served in a bowl. Still pretty tasty.

Pre-arrival meal....think this could actually use some improvement. For one thing the cous-cous was a standard cous-cous and not an actual Israeli cous-cous which is Ptitim or Pearl cous-cous (as noted in the galley diagram). Another thing was that even though there was a bread plate with butter either the FA forgot or they ran out of rolls (saw the guy across the row had a roll on his tray).
It certainly wasn't a bad meal (and the pre-arrival meals are never as elaborate as the main meal) but I would expect to see a dish like this on a domestic First mid-con dinner flight. I don't know if it was the way it was served (the plating) or just that I got so used to the "Chicken calzone/bouquet" served with fruit, etc. but it just felt out of place.

Overall its not that there was inherently wrong with the meal or that it tasted bad, but nothing really stood out. Don't get me wrong, I still think Polaris is a huge improvement over BusinessFirst but I left wondering if it was an issue with AMS catering or just this overall menu was less impressive than the outbound.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
The cheap packaged cracker situation is a let down - so much investment has been made in the actual cheeses themselves that pairing them with a no-name low quality mass catering brand ex-US seems counter intuitive. I hope this gets looked at ... or at least replaced with something like Carr's Water Biscuits
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:06 pm

I see no issue with the crackers. The crackers should only be provided if there is a soft spreadable type cheese offering like a brie or even goat cheese.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:40 pm

On yesterday's HKG-SFO I noted there was no more bread basket. Dinner came already served with a slice of cold, half baked garlic toast and one dinner roll. Not that I am a bread guy, not on a plane, but I thought that was odd.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
On yesterday's HKG-SFO I noted there was no more bread basket. Dinner came already served with a slice of cold, half baked garlic toast and one dinner roll. Not that I am a bread guy, not on a plane, but I thought that was odd.
That's been consistent since Dec 1st, I'm afraid.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX-LHR (UA923) menu for tonight.
Attached Images   
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:03 pm

Those dark brown ones.

Jacob's I think?

Can never seem to find the sweet ones at the store. They're addictive.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Those dark brown ones.

Jacob's I think?

Can never seem to find the sweet ones at the store. They're addictive.
I think the sweet ones might be "Hovis digestive biscuits"
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
Originally Posted by Meola10
I see no issue with the crackers. The crackers should only be provided if there is a soft spreadable type cheese offering like a brie or even goat cheese.
Having been born in Lancashire,lived in Cheshire,Gloucestershire, hiked across Wensleydale,owned a house near Cheddar and drunk in the pub in Stilton (where they have never made cheese) I feel compelled to correct your misconception.There is no correlation between spreadability,ambient temperature or Rockwell hardness of cheese and the need for bread and crackers in moderation.They are an essential part of the palate cleansing process that maximizes your ability to enjoy the texture and flavors of the cheese plate.Along with the soft semi dried fruits ,apricots et al,that we do not get.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by tryintogohome
Having been born in Lancashire,lived in Cheshire,Gloucestershire, hiked across Wensleydale,owned a house near Cheddar and drunk in the pub in Stilton (where they have never made cheese) I feel compelled to correct your misconception.There is no correlation between spreadability,ambient temperature or Rockwell hardness of cheese and the need for bread and crackers in moderation.They are an essential part of the palate cleansing process that maximizes your ability to enjoy the texture and flavors of the cheese plate.Along with the soft semi dried fruits ,apricots et al,that we do not get.
I grew up in an Italian household. The only cheese we eat with bread occasionally is mozzarella. Does provolone count on a sandwich with a bunch of other stuff? Nothing with crackers but that's just me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.