Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I have a fairly long layover in ORD Polaris lounge of about 8 hrs from 9am to approximately 5 pm.

Would I be allowed to use the dining room twice (breakfast and late lunch)?
Also, when does it get busy (going to be there a Thursday). I’d like to get a shower a close to the flight as possible, but if it gets busy, I don’t want to loose out.
Midweek late afternoon (3-5pm) the wait for shower was about 30 minutes. Wait for dining room during the same period was 75 minutes.
SPN Lifer and wysiwyg like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
So, I spent about 6 hours today in the lounge. Arrived close to 9am, place was empty. Maybe 20 people spread throughout. Dining restaurant was empty so decided just to grab buffet items instead. Nice options but everything was cold. Food was probably prepared earlier in the morning and had little turnover.

Went to get a day bed around 10am, once again, I was alone, but told I could just have it for an hour, but could stay longer, however they may come and ask me to leave if it got busy.

Then, relaxed in the regular seats until about 1:00pm and decided to get a table for lunch. Was full, but it was 30 mins or less wait. No issues, I wasn’t that hungry anyhow. About 20 mins, I got the txt that my table was available. Got the bruschetta, beet salad and Polaris burger. Food was decent, service was OK, but staff was forgetting to bring a lot of items. I observed not only myself, but those around me. No biggie though and no one was really upset.

then, around 3, I got a shower. Was surprised that there were no amenities in the bathroom. No toothbrush, shaving kits, little deodorant packets or spray, etc.. just slippers, and soap. Shower was nice. When I got there, I grabbed the last one, but when I Was done, 4 were available. Go figure.

place really became busy around lunch and especially after 2. When I left, around 4:15, it was hard to find seats. Now my flight is slightly delayed, so I’m sitting in the regular United Lounge near gate B14. It’s packed as well.

Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Toiletries are kept behind the attendant's counter at the entrance. The attendant should have asked you if you needed any. That has always been my experience.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:34 pm

Yeah, all I wanted was a shaving kit and was told none were available. I didn’t ask for other stuff but I did see things like toothbrushes at the reception counter.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Does the place close at 9pm? I'm on the late flight to LHR soon and on a decently short layover this would make a shorty visit
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by loganre17
Does the place close at 9pm? I'm on the late flight to LHR soon and on a decently short layover this would make a shorty visit
I don’t know the closing time but the Dining Room menu says the last seating is 9:30pm.so presumably it is open at least an hour after that.

Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I don’t know the closing time but the Dining Room menu says the last seating is 9:30pm.so presumably it is open at least an hour after that.

I think it’s safer to assume last seating being 30 min before the PL closes as that’s when the bar shuts down. The UA app still has ORD PL closing at 9pm so either that’s wrong or what’s on the menu is.

I have also been on that last LHR flight (used to be 9:30pm-ish, now 10:15pm), and when it was delayed the PL did NOT extend its hours, just an FYI in case it’s a thing. Not sure about C10 UC in that case.

Seeing Lufty now has a 10:25pm to MUC and an 11:35pm to FRA, I’m wondering if PL is indeed staying open longer. There has sometimes been a sign outside B16 UC announcing extended hours, which is near LH departure gates.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:21 am

Polaris Lounge Comparison:
Perhaps others have noticed this, there is a difference in the service and overall vibe between Polaris lounges. ORD club is a favorite as the people there are really committed to providing a premium experience. The club at SFO falls short. It could be that now Bay Area tech firms are (post pandemic) allowing workers to fly business class. The SFO lounge has been observed as quite crowded the past 4x visited in the past 10 months. It is quieter on one side, so that is what I have recommended. On one occasion, the a/c being out caused a closure. The club at EWR is decent, but only experienced it once recently. IAD/IAH/LAX are not ones that I have visited yet. Overall, it is a nice benefit to business class travel that separates UA from others.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:22 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
I think it’s safer to assume last seating being 30 min before the PL closes as that’s when the bar shuts down. The UA app still has ORD PL closing at 9pm so either that’s wrong or what’s on the menu is.

I have also been on that last LHR flight (used to be 9:30pm-ish, now 10:15pm), and when it was delayed the PL did NOT extend its hours, just an FYI in case it’s a thing. Not sure about C10 UC in that case.

Seeing Lufty now has a 10:25pm to MUC and an 11:35pm to FRA, I’m wondering if PL is indeed staying open longer. There has sometimes been a sign outside B16 UC announcing extended hours, which is near LH departure gates.
I'm flying out Thursday. Will report back unless AC is delayed
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

It took 30 minutes just for the server to bring our drinks. Food arrived maybe 45 minutes after we sat and ordered. Maybe they sprint at 9:30pm.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:23 am

I was there last Thursday. The entrance says the lounge is open from 6:00am to 9:00pm but the dinning room menu states the last dinner seating is 9:30pm

Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:00 am

Polaris Lounge Financing

Anyone know the structure of UA financing of their lounges; specifically Polaris? If there is a business class component that provides funding, that makes sense. Just thinking that if UA sees their lounges as not a revenue source, but an expense, that it will lead to cost cutting and diminishing service.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by searchforfulfillment
Anyone know the structure of UA financing of their lounges; specifically Polaris? If there is a business class component that provides funding, that makes sense. Just thinking that if UA sees their lounges as not a revenue source, but an expense, that it will lead to cost cutting and diminishing service.
I have no internal knowledge, but presume it is a mixture / complicated.

Capex for the buildout.
Cost of service for UA purchased tickets.
Revenue from *A airlines for entry of their customers. (This one I am not sure about, as some reciprocity may be in effect, especially with JV airlines).

I am sure United would consider (probably already have considered/implemented) reviews and cost cutting of operational expenses of Polaris Lounges.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:02 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Visited the ORD Polaris Lounge Yesterday. Everything went well, however the dining room had some issues. They had a brand new menu starting yesterday and we had lunch at 11:20am, so we (4 of us) were the second table to be seated with this new menu. We were there for over 100 minutes for Small Bites, Main Course, and Desert. Even soft drinks took 20 minutes.

Kid 1 had the soup and Fettuccini. Soup was good, (I tried a few bites) Pasta was just OK.
Kid 2 had the burger only.
Wifey had the Salad and Shrimp with Scallops. Only 2 stuffed regular sized shrimp - this should have been listed on the Small-Bites menu. She said it was good, but the portion size was horrible.
I had the Salad and the burger. I wasn't a fan of the salad, but I'm not a fancy salad person, thus don't take my rating seriously. The burger was awesome, and I'm a burger guy.

The kids and I had the Cookie skillet while wifey had the Chocolate Torte.

All food came out cooked properly.

choch345 and jorozen like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:41 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Visited the ORD Polaris Lounge Yesterday. The burger was awesome, and I'm a burger guy.
I agree on the burger! It's one of the better burgers I've had while traveling and I look forward to it. People often doubt me when I claim this.

I do wish they would serve shoestring fries or something more as a side instead of the three potato wedges. Although the wedges are good, they are a bit small in portion.
SPN Lifer, choch345 and VRFast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.