Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Yes, UA to UA, specifically (HND-)SFO-LAX-SAN. Happened at the SFO bag recheck after immigration. First ticket ended at LAX. Ended up picking up bags at LAX and re-check in. Will keep in mind about employee and go to main check-in counter next time.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you have any checked luggage, you will have to make sure they check through to SAN on separate tickets.
This turned out trickier than should have been. I asked to tag bags all the way to SAN at the ANA check-in in SGN (1st leg). They did, but when I got to SFO, it was routed to LAX only. Waited 30min in line, employees spent 15min and couldn't tag it to SAN (said it was coz my 2nd ticket had a "Mr" in the pax name), so I had to pick them up in LAX and re-check in. Kind agent waived the bag fees (Y and no status). Finally in LAX PL after all that and no time for SFO PL.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2023 at 7:11 pm Reason: moved important info from another thread
Old Mar 13, 2023, 6:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by italdesign
Yes, UA to UA, specifically (HND-)SFO-LAX-SAN. Happened at the SFO bag recheck after immigration. First ticket ended at LAX. Ended up picking up bags at LAX and re-check in. Will keep in mind about employee and go to main check-in counter next time.
Waiting till SFO to work this out was the error. It should have been done on HND and a tagged all the way thru to SAN. Doing it mid-travel does not work.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Waiting till SFO to work this out was the error. It should have been done on HND and a tagged all the way thru to SAN. Doing it mid-travel does not work.
I did have them tag it to SAN at first leg check in, but when it got to SFO, even the SAN barcode was only tagged to LAX.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I did have them tag it to SAN at first leg check in, but when it got to SFO, even the SAN barcode was only tagged to LAX.
Also best when you are checking across tickets to check the bag tags to make sure it was properly done, sounds like a error was made in HND (new info trip started with ANA in SGN )

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2023 at 7:15 pm Reason: (new info trip started with ANA in SGN )
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:15 pm

Also best when you are checking across tickets to check the bag tags to make sure it was properly done, sounds like a error was made in HND
The tag did say SAN. Any suggestions to double check it in the future? Maybe have them scan it? (not sure if check-in agents have bag scanner).

Are you sure bags can't be tagged to a different destination midway? The SFO staff seemed confident about the normal procedure. Of course, she did get stuck and the Mr was just a guess for the cause, so it's possible she was wrong.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I have 2 separate reservations with UA flights. First one was booked thru my Lifemiles account. 2nd one was booked thru another family member's Lifemiles account. The latter apparently put a Mr in my passenger name. Bag checker says system wouldn't allow them to check it thru coz of this name discrepancy. Does that sound right?
Yes, the passenger name on both reservations needs to match perfectly to allow through check-in, in all airline CRSes I've ever seen.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Yes, the passenger name on both reservations needs to match perfectly to allow through check-in, in all airline CRSes I've ever seen.
I was able to pull up my reservation on UA.com and UA app (without the "Mr") and add it to my trip list, so at least there they consider it the same person.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:49 pm

Can I OLCI for two separate tix if I want the agent to check my bag thru?

I bought two separate tix (MEM-DEN and DEN-MUC-CGN) with a 3.5 hour connex, because pricing. My plan is to ask the check-in agent at MEM if they can check my bag/s all the way through to my final destination, CGN. I know they can do that, if properly trained. Will completing app OLCI for either first or second tix mess things up on their back-end? Should I add checked bags to the OLCI flow on the UA app for either the first or second routing?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:00 pm

Best to wait until you check the bags to also then check-in yourself in. The agent will have to check you out to check the bags to the destination. The less the agent has to change the better.

Allow extra time as the UA-UA check-thru can take extra time.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:09 pm

Best to wait until you check the bags to also then check-in yourself in. The agent will have to check you out to check the bags to the destination. The less the agent has to change the better.
OK cool, I kinda figured. I did OLCI for the first segment but didn't add any bags. Sounds like that doesn't matter and doing OLCI was the wrong move, as the agent will have to check me out anyway, to do what I'm asking. I'm used to completing OLCI right at D-24h, so will not doing that screw me in another way? I have some recollection that some things related to IRROPS depend on when you checked in, but I don't know where to find that info. I'm 1K (like half the planet), if that matters.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by HeyNowSkippy
... I have some recollection that some things related to IRROPS depend on when you checked in, but I don't know where to find that info.....
For non-elites without a seat assignment, perhaps, but not for others
SPN Lifer and HeyNowSkippy like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HeyNowSkippy
I bought two separate tix (MEM-DEN and DEN-MUC-CGN) with a 3.5 hour connex, because pricing. My plan is to ask the check-in agent at MEM if they can check my bag/s all the way through to my final destination, CGN. I know they can do that, if properly trained. Will completing app OLCI for either first or second tix mess things up on their back-end? Should I add checked bags to the OLCI flow on the UA app for either the first or second routing?
nothing to do with your bag checking question, but FYI, since you mention separate booking due to fares - often searching as multi city vs. O-D will get you the pricing you see separately on one ticket. So MEM-CGN May be high, but if you search multi city as MEM-DEN, DEN-CGN, you very likely would have gotten the lower fare anyway, and been on one PNR.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
nothing to do with your bag checking question, but FYI, since you mention separate booking due to fares - often searching as multi city vs. O-D will get you the pricing you see separately on one ticket. So MEM-CGN May be high, but if you search multi city as MEM-DEN, DEN-CGN, you very likely would have gotten the lower fare anyway, and been on one PNR.
I wouldn't say "very likely." In fact, it'd be extremely unusual to get the exact same fare in that case, because nearly all TATL UA fares disallow end-on-end combinations with UA domestic fares. It is undoubtedly true that the fare may be lower, and that it's worth your time to price our flights this way, but this is a case where I'd be a lot more surprised if it helped than I would if it were a domestic / North America itinerary -- particularly because this presumably has an LH-group flight, and LH will refuse to ticket United.com itineraries that it doesn't like.
SPN Lifer and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I believe our corporate travel agent tried that approach first, with no success. Complicating things were that I had a budget to work in, and the only way to stay within budget was to book the first leg in Y and the TATL leg in J. Not sure if multi-city booking would have worked in that case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.